Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Pinching
Country Kids 09:34 AM 08-20-2012
Have you ever had a child that pinches. Mine has gone from biting to know pinching!

A child was sitting quietly looking at something and the pincher was playing then walked over to the other child, pinched them, then walked away and went back to playing.

Would you treat this like a biting issue? Its not the first pinching incident and the other child thats getting pinched is usually not even with the pincher.
Country Kids 12:02 PM 08-20-2012
Just bumping back up as it happened again when we were outside. Child was in time out and when they got out they went right over and pinched a child. Its always right in the face area to!
Crystal 12:24 PM 08-20-2012
Yes. Treat as you would biting.

I would first give EXAGGERATED attention to the victim. The I would look at the pincher and firmly sya "No, we do not pinch! Pinching HURTS!" then I would direct the poncher to look at the other child's face, point out his tears/look of pain, tell the pincher "You hurt him, look at his face, he is crying because you HURT him" then I would proceed with having the pincher help clean the injury. Then move-on. Repeat exact same reaction every single time. It usually stops the behavior quickly, as they begin to feel empathy and understand the consequences of their actions.
Country Kids 01:20 PM 08-20-2012
I'm wondering if there is some pinching going on at home or somewhere. This child even does it to my children who are teenagers! Hasn't done it to me yet but waiting for it to happen.
DCBlessings27 02:03 PM 08-20-2012
Originally Posted by Country Kids:
I'm wondering if there is some pinching going on at home or somewhere. This child even does it to my children who are teenagers! Hasn't done it to me yet but waiting for it to happen.
We don't pinch here, but my dd went through a pinching stage at 2. I don't even know where she learned it, but she did it. She did it to dh and me as well. I just separated her and let her know that it hurts to pinch. She learned and stopped the behavior. DD never pinched anyone's face though.
Country Kids 02:05 PM 08-20-2012
I'm wondering if when she was biting at home maybe she was getting pinched on the cheek. If always the same cheek eveytime.

The thing is its the same child each time also.
DCBlessings27 02:16 PM 08-20-2012
I'm wondering if when she was biting at home maybe she was getting pinched on the cheek. If always the same cheek eveytime.

I don't understand kids and how they behave, but I know that my dcb picks on the same child every day. He's a hitter and hair puller. He ALWAYS does it to one dcg. I separate him and let him know it's not okay, but he doesn't know all his words yet. He's 20months. Dcg is 3. She's so well-behaved that she knows not to hit back. So, he keeps doing it.

IMO, some kids just know who they feel is weaker. That's the best way I can think to put it. I do know that my dcb has an older brother who has taught my dcb some bad habits.
My3cents 10:34 AM 08-21-2012
Originally Posted by Crystal:
Yes. Treat as you would biting.

I would first give EXAGGERATED attention to the victim. The I would look at the pincher and firmly sya "No, we do not pinch! Pinching HURTS!" then I would direct the poncher to look at the other child's face, point out his tears/look of pain, tell the pincher "You hurt him, look at his face, he is crying because you HURT him" then I would proceed with having the pincher help clean the injury. Then move-on. Repeat exact same reaction every single time. It usually stops the behavior quickly, as they begin to feel empathy and understand the consequences of their actions.
I see where you are going with this, but......

I find that sometimes they will do this more because they want all that attention and want to "fix" the injured. My kiddo's are young, and they don't have the mental capacity quite yet to understand the consequences of their actions. This is what I am finding. I try to teach gentle...but gentle has become fun. I use a firm No, we don't bite, we don't pinch, we don't hit etc... and then direct my attention to the injured child. I don't let the kid that hurt, help me fix the injured. Older kids with more understanding yes, but for the 2 1/2 and under crowd this was not working for me.
best-
Heidi 10:50 AM 08-21-2012

I was wondering if someone thought that a playful pinch might be a fun game. "Oh...you're so cute...let me pinch those little cheeks"

You might want to ask. If that's the case, you've got to have a little empathy for the pincher...
Tags:pinching
Reply Up