Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Advice How To Get Kids Active
littleblossoms 06:45 AM 10-02-2012
Have a 16 month old for a month now. He start walking at 14 months. He will not move around, crawl, walk mothing. So therefore will not get a toy and play. Any advice what to do?

If i move him around the room he cries. But if he sits o e place and gave him toys he will play a little but not much.

This is not the first time i am seeing kids not active.

What advice can i do to get him active or moving
Cat Herder 06:56 AM 10-02-2012
IMHO: Put him down in a room filled with developmentally appropriate toys and walk away. Obviously don't leave him unsupervised, but don't go out of your way to help him, either. Look busy.

It would be beneficial if you had time to model playing for him a few times if he truly does not know how before hand.

Don't get the toys for him. Don't let the other kids get toys for him. Enabling him to continue this way will only make it worse.

When given the opportunity, he will eventually want to play.
countrymom 10:39 AM 10-02-2012
Originally Posted by Cat Herder:
IMHO: Put him down in a room filled with developmentally appropriate toys and walk away. Obviously don't leave him unsupervised, but don't go out of your way to help him, either. Look busy.

It would be beneficial if you had time to model playing for him a few times if he truly does not know how before hand.

Don't get the toys for him. Don't let the other kids get toys for him. Enabling him to continue this way will only make it worse.

When given the opportunity, he will eventually want to play.
i agree with this. Also sounds like he's being carried around alot too. I also will hold both hands of the child and make them walk, esp. at that age. I make them walk with me.
laundrymom 11:09 AM 10-02-2012
Get him moving. Dance, Simon says, marching band. Lots of big wide movements. Follow me type games. Roll on the floor, hop, jump, be silly. Show him moving is fun.
dave4him 11:18 AM 10-02-2012
just let him get what he needs, helping him and carrying him too much has the opposite effect
cheerfuldom 11:53 AM 10-02-2012
I agree with Cat

but also, keep on eye on his other milestones. There is always that possibility that there is a special needs issue going on....another reason why he may not be active or may not be connecting to other kids his age. I would absolutely keep a close eye on him....especially if there are other delays, he is not showing a curious nature as is common with toddlers or if he is not connecting with other people/kids. just something to keep in mind.
daycare 01:36 PM 10-02-2012
dance...

row row your boat that will allow for the child to interact with other and be active or with you. Have child sit facing you, grab hands and push each other back and forth singing the song

throw a ball, chase it, roll it, chase it

stack big boxes

I will think of more
Lilbutterflie 01:46 PM 10-02-2012
Everyone offered great advice. Definitely start encouraging him and showing him how to get toys and play with toys on his own.

I had a very similar dcg start here about 2 months ago. She was a very new walker, and was very inactive at first. She also wanted to be held a lot, and certainly would not follow me when asked to (ex: during diaper changing time, time to go outside, time to clean up, all of the transition times, etc...). She would stand there all the time wanting to be picked up to be led to the next activity. I did a lot of cuddling with her at first to get her used to me and her surroundings, but very quickly I transitioned into expecting her to engage in her own play. The other kids did a great job showing her how to play independently, and I helped her when I needed to. Instead of carrying her everywhere, I would grab her hand and lead her to where we needed to go. Then, gradually, I stopped taking her hand to lead her; just encouraged her to follow us on her own to the next activity. She is doing very very well now!! Very active and interactive with everyone.
littleblossoms 02:42 PM 10-02-2012
Thanks all these are all great advice.

His parents carry him around all the time.

I do hold his hand to walk around and he start to cry and will not stand. If i try to hold his hand to do activity he wilk pull his hand away. I do show all the kids including him how to play with toys.

But this evening i try gaving him some toys and walk away and he still sit there watching them.

Sadly i feel he is just lazy.

Send in all your suggestions and i will try them.

He is not talking only mom and dad
Sprouts 08:01 PM 10-02-2012
http://m.youtube.com/?reload=7&rdm=m...?v=y0-z7-8loGc

This might give you some ideas. Also a child that has started walking should def not be held all of the time

Music and movement is great, Greg and Steve CDs are our favorites here
http://www.amazon.com/Kids-In-Action...t_mus_ep_dpi_1

I would buy them all if I could!

Also has he ever been evaluated? If he is showing no interest in toys and won't even crawl that sounds like a red flag for me? You can try putting together a small basket of different objects appropriate for his age like: balls, squeeze toys, wooden objects like spoons or those honey dippers, large rings, safe metal objects ...put it close but far enough that he would have to go and reach for it...if he still wants nothing to do with it I would record all of your observations and find out where parents can go to have him evaluated....
Tags:activities
Reply Up