Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>13 Month Old
Ariana 07:35 AM 04-08-2019
I just started a new infant, she is 13 months old. We had some cosleeping issues that are ironed out but there are some odd behaviors that I need some feedback on and advice.

She cannot pull up to a stand. When I put her standing at a table she looses it crying and tantrumming. She does not know how to get back down to the ground and cannot cruise. When I change her diaper it is really hard to bend her legs to do a thorough clean and she cries and tantrums when I try. She was not a proficient crawler when she started but is now after a month. She is also self feeding and is gaining weight finally.

I am doing everything I feel I should be doing like trying to exercise her legs like a bicycle and get her to stand and practice pulling up etc but she looses it all the time which I find really unusual. She seems so behind. Her Dr apparently is not worried and her parents say she pulls up at home...I don’t want to say they are lying but it is just SOO unlikely given the tantrums she has here and doesn’t even attempt it here at all.

Does anyone have any experience with this or advice? Should I just leave her be and assume she’ll get it eventually?
Mom2Two 11:45 AM 04-08-2019
When DD was little and had PT (and all kinds of other therapists) her PT said that kids are walking later these days. Like 12-14 months used to be normal, and 18 months was rare, but apparently 18 mths is not rare anymore. The thinking apparently was that it was due to lack of tummy time--not sleeping on front anymore.

But DD is almost 9 now, so that maybe this is way old info.
Cat Herder 11:49 AM 04-08-2019
If she has just started daycare and was home with parents previously it may be from lack of free floor time.

I have a feeling you will have it worked through in no time at all.

In your shoes, I'd look for improvement in 3 months time, then reevaluate.
Ariana 12:13 PM 04-08-2019
My DD walked late at 18 months so I am no stranger to late walkers! Having said that she pulled up to stand and started cruising at 11 months! She was a bum scooter so apparently they tend to walk later in general.

I think my concern is the lack of pulling up and cruising at 13 months. Ok I will keep at it and hopefully she gets on track!! Her parents keep saying they are doing all the right things so I don’t know! Lol
nannyde 12:25 PM 04-08-2019
Ask the parents to videotape her pulling up, crusing, and doing a diaper change where she is flat. They can film that from the side so no privates show.

Have them show you. Insist

I have had 13 month olds that didn't walk or pull up I worry about her not being bendable for the change. Possible hip issues?
Cat Herder 12:51 PM 04-08-2019
Originally Posted by Ariana:
My DD walked late at 18 months so I am no stranger to late walkers!
My oldest walked late, too. I barely let her touch the floor I was so overprotective. When I did I would not let her off the quilt. By the time the boys came along I was over it...
AmyKidsCo 12:57 PM 04-08-2019
I had a 2 yr old who was "stiff" like that - he always stood to play, never sat or lay on the floor, didn't like to bend his legs to go up/down stairs or get changed, etc. Eventually he grew out of it and is doing all of that now - he's 3.
Ariana 01:55 PM 04-08-2019
Originally Posted by nannyde:
I have had 13 month olds that didn't walk or pull up I worry about her not being bendable for the change. Possible hip issues?
Ok good to know you have seen this type of thing before. I was Googling and it seemed like a referral to an OT might be in order but thought I would check here first! I also suspect possible hip issues but it is hard to know since she crawls normally and can sit with her legs tucked under.

I think I am leaning more towards lack of opportunity and parents fibbing about what is going on at home. Like I said she was not able to self feed and barely crawled when she started...but I am going to keep an eye on it.
Ariana 02:06 PM 04-08-2019
Originally Posted by Cat Herder:
My oldest walked late, too. I barely let her touch the floor I was so overprotective. When I did I would not let her off the quilt. By the time the boys came along I was over it...
Haha! This is what my mom says about my sister and blames that for why she walked late My second kid walked AND talked late. She was much more independent than my eldest and loved floor time (I was running a home daycare by the time she was 3 weeks so she didn’t have a choice!) so I really can’t blame that at all. She did have a weird bum scoot crawl though and I had heard that can delay walking a bit. She did pull up and cruise at the right time though. Did it for months! My eldest also talked earlier but knowing their personalities now it makes perfect sense. Eldest is a crazy extrovert, youngest is a cautious introvert
knoxmomof2 08:21 AM 04-09-2019
I've never had a child of my own or a DCK walk later than 14 months. That being said, her not walking might be one thing, but the not pulling up and stiffness at this age is concerning at least. I agree that you should ask for video. If you never see one, suggest they get an evaluation.
lovemykidstoo 10:58 AM 04-09-2019
I have one that I just wrote about in here that parents let sleep in the carseat or swing during the night. He will be 1 yr in 2 1/2 weeks and just in the last week learned how to go from laying on the floor to get into a seated position. He's not anywhere near pulling himself up to the coffee table and cruising, let alone walk. My own kids were walking before they were 11 months old. My daughter was 9 1/2 months and my son was 10 months old. They also said a bunch of words too before a year. He says nothing. I find that the kids are hitting all kinds of milestones later.
Ariana 01:49 PM 04-16-2019
She pulled herself up today for the first time! I had my water tanle filled with shredded paper and easter eggs and she was kneeling staring for quite a while and then BAM she got to her feet . I had been practicing with her last week by holding her hands and getting her to pull up on my lap so I think it helped

Mom told me an odd story in passing the other day that she put her in her pack n play so she could go use the washroom after work. I kind of thought, what parent does that? Might be an indication that she spends a lot of time in there. Both parents are big into video games so it makes me wonder about it. I have heard stories of parents keeping their kids in high chairs and pack n plays while they play video games for hours....
LostMyMarbles 06:10 AM 04-17-2019
I took a child at 17 months. He was not really able to stand by himself, walk, and could barely crawl. The reason his mom pulled him out of his previous daycare and put him with me was because the previous daycare provider was keeping him in a pack and play all day long. They had a baby room where they would keep the kids in pack and plays. If it anytime the child cried throughout the day, they were put in a pack and play in the baby room. He never had floor time, and was only allowed out of the pack and play when he ate. It took us several months of encouraging and a lot of floor time to get him to stand crawl and walk. Be patient and persistent. When you see results, it will all be worth the tantrums.

The reason that the mom knew about him being in the pack and play, was because one of the old providers helpers quit working at that day care. The former helper ran into the daycare mom and told her the reason she quit was because of the way the infants were treated at that former daycare.
Pestle 04:39 AM 04-18-2019
Originally Posted by LostMyMarbles:
They had a baby room where they would keep the kids in pack and plays.
So were they operating illegally? With an assistant, either they're licensed or illegal, right?
Tags:13 month old, confinement equipment, muscle development
Reply Up