Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Parents and Guardians Forum>Toddler Confined to a Chair
camilla130 11:46 AM 10-02-2009
My little girl (18 mo) just started daycare two days ago and to help her transition smoothly, we sent her there half day though we are paying full amount tuition.

This noon when I went to pick her up, I found she was bound to a chair and forced to sit there. She was crying for mommy but couldn't move a little, and no one was there beside her. I felt bad about this and I talked to the daycare director.

But she said: we use this way to make children eat when they started and she is not the only one we've treated this way. But she promised me they will not put this on her anymore.

My question is: is it inappropriate or I'm over concerned? Shall I find another daycare for her? Since after this happened, I don't feel trust to the teachers there.
jen 02:23 PM 10-02-2009
YIKES! Run! Run! But first report them! You can't tie kids up!
Unregistered 02:25 PM 10-02-2009
That is inappropriate to tie up any child. You can't force a child to eat anyways especially at 18 mo that's crazy. I wouldn't trust the daycare facility either, if they do that for eating what do they do for punishment? I definetly wouldn't take her back.
Unregistered 02:56 PM 10-02-2009
Why do I feel like this is a joke post? You don't really think it's possible that you are overreacting?!
You need to report this place RIGHT AWAY!
Are you serious? They BOUND as in TIED your child to a chair? I would have slapped someone I swear!
This is NOT okay!!!!!!!!!
tinytotzdaycare 03:33 PM 10-02-2009
I would have first had to control my temper as a mom..........TURN THEM IN! And dont send your little on there ever again!
AmandasFCC 07:32 PM 10-02-2009
WOW! That is a DEFINITE no-no. #1 You do not forceably confine a child, and #2, you do not force feed a child! OMG! RUN!
ecemom 05:36 AM 10-03-2009
RUN. FAST. Then report the daycare! YIKES!
camilla130 08:18 AM 10-03-2009
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
Why do I feel like this is a joke post? You don't really think it's possible that you are overreacting?!
You need to report this place RIGHT AWAY!
Are you serious? They BOUND as in TIED your child to a chair? I would have slapped someone I swear!
This is NOT okay!!!!!!!!!
She never went to daycare before so I don't know the rules. Everyone think this case is rare so I shall find another daycare ASAP. thanks to everyone.
ConcernedMotherof2 09:57 AM 10-07-2009
Originally Posted by camilla130:
She never went to daycare before so I don't know the rules. Everyone think this case is rare so I shall find another daycare ASAP. thanks to everyone.
I hope that you not only found another daycare, but reported this one and refused to pay the two weeks notice (or whatever your contract stated). It sounds like she's your first child and you just aren't sure about the way that daycares do things. My advice (as someone who's been there): ALWAYS trust your gut! If you don't like the way they are treating your child or something doesn't sit right with you, don't let it go. And also--educate yourself on the laws that daycare providers have to follow. Ask a new daycare EVERYTHING about how they handle meal time, snack time, discipline, etc.

Also, this is a great place to get information on some pretty important topics. There are a lot of good providers on this site who have some wonderful advice on all things child-related.

Best of luck to you!
Chickenhauler 12:26 AM 10-11-2009
You say "bound to a chair"....do you mean like hog tied, or do you mean in a booster seat that is secured to a normal chair and has a lap belt to keep the kid from climbing on the table or falling off?

Booster seats with belts are common.

However, leaving a child unattended in them is not.
mac60 03:23 AM 10-12-2009
Originally Posted by Chickenhauler:
You say "bound to a chair"....do you mean like hog tied, or do you mean in a booster seat that is secured to a normal chair and has a lap belt to keep the kid from climbing on the table or falling off?

Booster seats with belts are common.

However, leaving a child unattended in them is not.

I was kind of wondering the same thing. This whole story sounds iffy/fishy. Seriously, if you found your child bound to a chair and take her back, well, then........ if you found your child sitting in a high chair or booster seat safely belted in, then.....that is a whole other situation, that is not being bound.

Please explain what you meant.
AmandasFCC 07:37 AM 10-12-2009
That's very true, I hadn't thought of that, given the wording of the post. And I'm not in a centre, although I highly doubt that they would have staff sitting beside every child at the table.
seashell 08:43 AM 10-13-2009
Originally Posted by camilla130:
My little girl (18 mo) just started daycare two days ago and to help her transition smoothly, we sent her there half day though we are paying full amount tuition.

This noon when I went to pick her up, I found she was bound to a chair and forced to sit there. She was crying for mommy but couldn't move a little, and no one was there beside her. I felt bad about this and I talked to the daycare director.

But she said: we use this way to make children eat when they started and she is not the only one we've treated this way. But she promised me they will not put this on her anymore.

My question is: is it inappropriate or I'm over concerned? Shall I find another daycare for her? Since after this happened, I don't feel trust to the teachers there.

If there was something wrong here, I don't think the director would admit it! Highchairs and booster seats have straps and they are meant to be used. Could you clarify what type of seat it was and the manner in which she was bound t the seat?
Former Teacher 09:53 AM 10-13-2009
I don't mean to sound rude or disrespectful but I have a hard time believing your post. After reading everyone else's responses and considering you haven't replied nor answered to them, makes me confirm my belief all the more.

Again not to be rude or anything but I agree with Judge Judy. If it doesn't make sense, it isn't true.
HandsOnLearning 12:18 PM 10-26-2009
if she was indeed "hogtied"

REPORT without Question!
Tags:confinement equipment, restraint, toddler behavior
Reply Up