Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Over Capacity Dilemma..
lilcupcakes09 11:00 AM 05-21-2012
Hi All

Wondering what other providers would do in this situation..... I am very fortunate to have all my spots filled right now, they will all be long term, I have had 6 for the longest time, found out I was loosing 2 to different school districts, and in one month have gone to 8 children!!! YAY ME!!! My dilemma is when school starts next year, I have a little girl who lives next door, her mom brings her at 745 and her older sister is home in the afternoon so she justs walk home from the bus with us in the afternoon, they are kind enough to pay me full price even though she is only here for 1 hour each morning, they catch the bus at 845. She is not her on days that school is out either. Come time for school next year, between 745-845 I will be over my capacity by 1 child with her. What would you do, I don't want to turn down my other income ($140 for a 3 yr old) because of this ONE HOUR!!! I'm so torn on what to do, I really like this prospective new family and to turn them away just because of that in my mind is crazy, I think I am willing to risk being written up if my licensor happens to come that early one morning, which is highly unlikely, they have never come before 9AM.
jojosmommy 11:16 AM 05-21-2012
Can your husband stay home that one hour, like go in to work at 9? Or is anyone else willing to drop off later like at 9? I have had parents who are willing to do 9 am drop off knowing other kids go to school at 8:45.

I wouldn't go over lic capacity. Not enough money in the world to start that nightmare IMO.
lilcupcakes09 11:22 AM 05-21-2012
But it does'nt matter how many providers are here, my capacity is 8 no matter what....I just wasn't sure of the reprocussions if I was over capacity for that short little hour.
jojosmommy 11:32 AM 05-21-2012
Wait, are any of your kids figured into capacity? Couldn't your husband watch/take your own kid to school? Our own kids are figured in our lic capacity but if my husband is taking my son to the park or to school he is no longer in my numbers.

Do you have anyone that drops off around 9? I would ask them if they could push back drop off until the big kids go to school.
familyschoolcare 01:21 PM 05-21-2012
How old is the 7:45- 8:45 child?

Does this child take the bus to school?

If the child takes the bus to school and is old enougph to be home alone for short periods of time. Then you might not have to count her in your ratio. If

you set it up with the parents that you are not acually watching her in the morning rather just making sure she gets on the bus. Mom could have the

child ready to leave for school before she leave the house and then when you get ready to go to the bus stop you go to the child house and get her

and she walks with you to the bus. You would most liekly have to offer the family a reduced rate for this service.
SunshineMama 01:24 PM 05-21-2012
Can you change anyone else's times around? I would definitely keep the little girl who is paying full time for part time hours!

You do not want to get a capacity infraction- think: lady with child who died at daycare when over capacity story on the threads today.

You and I both know you can handle the extra kid, but rules are rules. Try to find a way to have an extra adult around, change schedules, whatever you need to do to stay in capacity.

Sorry you are in this dilemna- it stinks!
adriandnls 06:35 PM 06-12-2012
Hey everyone, I am starting a daycare and I am concerned about how many kids we will get when we open because as you know kids bring the revenue. We love kids and the wife will be running it but I just wanted to know in general if you have a capacity of 12 how long would it take to reach that? Please help. I'm in Memphis, TN.
daycare123 06:17 AM 06-13-2012
Originally Posted by adriandnls:
Hey everyone, I am starting a daycare and I am concerned about how many kids we will get when we open because as you know kids bring the revenue. We love kids and the wife will be running it but I just wanted to know in general if you have a capacity of 12 how long would it take to reach that? Please help. I'm in Memphis, TN.
you might get more responsese if you start your own thread
Blackcat31 06:58 AM 06-13-2012
Originally Posted by adriandnls:
Here is a link to your state's licensing requirements. https://www.daycare.com/tennessee/

How quickly you fill up to capacity depends on the need for child care in your area, the program you run and the staff or provider reputation and/or ability to "click" or fit with potential clients as well as a ton of other details such as what each interested client has for care needs. Each situation, program and need varies so greatly that it is difficult to give you a straight answer.

For me, I filled up to capacity (12 kids) within the forst 6 months I was open but I have to say that most of those families wouldn't make it into my program today as I am alot pickier and "smarter" about the clients I take on now.
Reply Up