Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>References
EchoMom 05:09 PM 01-26-2013
Does everyone give phone numbers of current and past clients as references to interviews as new potential clients???

So I've needed to fill several spots lately after my big turnover at the end of daycare year one. Some people I termed, one person moved, etc.

For whatever reason, people in this area are really flakey and despite excellent pre-screening, I still average about 3-4 interviews for each one spot I fill.

It bothers me to give out phone numbers of current and past clients because I don't know how often people actually call, so I don't want any of these people to be annoyed if they feel like they're getting called multiple times for references.

I don't have anything to hide, I know the families I have/had would give me glowing references, but I don't want them to be called multiple times and I don't know how many calls they've already received.

I of course always asked them before I gave out their number originally.
SunnyDay 07:31 PM 01-26-2013
Originally Posted by EchoMom:
Does everyone give phone numbers of current and past clients as references to interviews as new potential clients???

So I've needed to fill several spots lately after my big turnover at the end of daycare year one. Some people I termed, one person moved, etc.

For whatever reason, people in this area are really flakey and despite excellent pre-screening, I still average about 3-4 interviews for each one spot I fill.

It bothers me to give out phone numbers of current and past clients because I don't know how often people actually call, so I don't want any of these people to be annoyed if they feel like they're getting called multiple times for references.

I don't have anything to hide, I know the families I have/had would give me glowing references, but I don't want them to be called multiple times and I don't know how many calls they've already received.

I of course always asked them before I gave out their number originally.
I give out names & numbers of references only if the potential family asks. I am surprised by how few of them have requested references.
e.j. 10:32 AM 01-27-2013
Originally Posted by SunnyDay:
I give out names & numbers of references only if the potential family asks. I am surprised by how few of them have requested references.
Same here! Most of the time, even when they ask for references, they don't follow up with calls to the people on my reference list.

When you ask families for permission to use them as references, you could tell them to let you know if calls become excessive. You could always agree to remove their names if the number of calls they receive becomes an issue for them.
Reply Up