Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Air Neutralizer?
Lianne 07:59 PM 06-08-2013
I'm looking for something (home made or purchased) that pulls smells out of the air, as in, breaks down the yucky smells and neutralizes the air in the home. With all the kitten fostering I do, I always have litter boxes in one bedroom-turned-playroom in my 800sq ft, 1 level house plus litter boxes in the laundry room.

Right now I have 11 foster kittens, 1 foster mama and four of my own adult cats with eight litter boxes, 4 in each room. I scoop the boxes 2-3 times a day and change the litter completely once a week but I can't afford to change the boxes more often than that. Within an hour or so of scooping the boxes, I can smell the litter boxes again. Changing them buys me 12-24 smell free hours. I know I'm sensitive to it because I don't ever want to be known as the smelly cat house but it's embarrassing when people (esp. daycare clients) come to the door.

I don't have money for an air purifier and I'm not even sure it would do what I need. I've tried sprinkling baking soda into the boxes but that didn't seem to help. I have lots of Scentsy and while I love Scentsy, it just covers the stink so I can smell both the stink and the yummy Scentsy.

Does anyone have any suggestions?
JoseyJo 09:32 PM 06-08-2013
We use Odoban. We purchase at Sam's club, comes with a gallon of solution and a squirt bottle, I think it is 2 oz of solution to 20 oz of water (something like that) so it goes a LONG way!

Does a great job of neutralizing odors and has a nice fresh scent of it's own. It also kills bacteria and viruses as well as bleach when used on surfaces.
Cradle2crayons 09:47 PM 06-08-2013
ODOBAN here too. I'm addicted to it. It works for everything.

I use the eucalyptus scent... Buy it by the gallon and use it for literally all cleaning, mopping, disinfecting.

I can't use bleach here.

We are lucky that all of our cats potty in the woods EXCEPT our 8 six week old kittens.

Mama cat, jack, Gracie, nib nibs, and patch all potty outside. These kittens, at least the ones we are keeping (two of them) will be outside trained by the time they are 16 weeks. Can't do permanent litter boxes here. And we only have one in my master bath. Scoping it twice a day is one f my daughters chores haha.

But there isn't a strong smell with mine.

Have you wormed them recently?? Parasites that happen frequently in cats, increase the smell... S if you haven't done that recently, that may help with the smell too
Lianne 08:42 AM 06-09-2013
Originally Posted by JoseyJo:
We use Odoban. We purchase at Sam's club, comes with a gallon of solution and a squirt bottle, I think it is 2 oz of solution to 20 oz of water (something like that) so it goes a LONG way!

Does a great job of neutralizing odors and has a nice fresh scent of it's own. It also kills bacteria and viruses as well as bleach when used on surfaces.
Hmm, I've never heard of Odoban. I'm in Canada so we don't always have access to all the products the US has but I'll definitely see if I can find it.
Lianne 09:10 AM 06-09-2013
Originally Posted by Cradle2crayons:
ODOBAN here too. I'm addicted to it. It works for everything.

I use the eucalyptus scent... Buy it by the gallon and use it for literally all cleaning, mopping, disinfecting.

I can't use bleach here.

We are lucky that all of our cats potty in the woods EXCEPT our 8 six week old kittens.

Mama cat, jack, Gracie, nib nibs, and patch all potty outside. These kittens, at least the ones we are keeping (two of them) will be outside trained by the time they are 16 weeks. Can't do permanent litter boxes here. And we only have one in my master bath. Scoping it twice a day is one f my daughters chores haha.

But there isn't a strong smell with mine.

Have you wormed them recently?? Parasites that happen frequently in cats, increase the smell... S if you haven't done that recently, that may help with the smell too
Two of my own adult cats are indoor/outdoor cats and do their business outside but will use the litter boxes if they're inside. I don't usually have this many fosters but the SPCA is overwhelmed right now. It's not uncommon to have 5-7 fosters here, though, and I usually have 4-5 boxes available. Whenever I have boxes in the bedroom/playroom (kids don't play in there when I have fosters) the smell is an issue but with so many kittens right now, the smell is worse than normal.

The SPCA deworms them on a schedule. They were dewormed 2 weeks ago and are due soon for their vaccinations and another deworming. Their stools are healthy looking which tells me they don't need an extra deworming in between.
Cradle2crayons 10:00 AM 06-09-2013
Originally Posted by Lianne:
Two of my own adult cats are indoor/outdoor cats and do their business outside but will use the litter boxes if they're inside. I don't usually have this many fosters but the SPCA is overwhelmed right now. It's not uncommon to have 5-7 fosters here, though, and I usually have 4-5 boxes available. Whenever I have boxes in the bedroom/playroom (kids don't play in there when I have fosters) the smell is an issue but with so many kittens right now, the smell is worse than normal.

The SPCA deworms them on a schedule. They were dewormed 2 weeks ago and are due soon for their vaccinations and another deworming. Their stools are healthy looking which tells me they don't need an extra deworming in between.
Ahh ok I just wanted to be sure that wasn't a possibility. Mama cat was a rescue cat too but thankfully her babies had a home before they were a week old because I guess they are unusual. We're thinking of keeping two (like we need more) lol
MissAnn 10:11 AM 06-09-2013
I just ordered odoban after reading this.....in cherry! Can't wait till it arrives!
Blackcat31 02:23 PM 06-09-2013
I am also an Odoban addict. LOL!

My favorites scents though are lavender and I just bought Citrus...LOVE it!!

The regular scent is nice too but I love that there are options.

~Lianne, let me know if you are able to find it there or not. If you can't, I'd be happy to help you with shipping it your way.
Cradle2crayons 04:28 PM 06-09-2013
Originally Posted by MissAnn:
I just ordered odoban after reading this.....in cherry! Can't wait till it arrives!
I've never tried the cherry... Let me know if you like the scent. When I first started using ODOBAN they only made the eucalyptus scent and I fell in love with it. I may try the cherry and I know they have citrus too.

The concentrated gallons go a long way and I love I can use it for EVERYTHING. The concentration I use (which is comparable with bleach) is 3.5 ounces per half gallon water and I use half gallon or gallon milk jugs to dilute it. I clean litter boxes, mop, even use it in laundry that needs deodorizing.

It has different dilutions for different things but for it to be comparable to bleach, the above formula is it. It kills all the same things that bleach kills too and is EPA approved which is why I'm allowed to use it instead of bleach.
Leigh 05:01 PM 06-09-2013
Ozium spray is great for clearing the odors from the air.

Odoban itself has a stink to it that I don't care for, but Simple Solution has a pleasant smell-I use a LOT of Simple Solution products.
LaLa1923 06:45 PM 06-09-2013
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:

~Lianne, let me know if you are able to find it there or not. If you can't, I'd be happy to help you with shipping it your way.

Where can you buy options??!!

I want some lavender!
Lianne 06:56 PM 06-09-2013
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:

Thanks! I put a couple bowls of coffee grounds out in the room last night and there's already been a huge difference this today.
Cradle2crayons 09:38 PM 06-09-2013
Mmmmmmm I didn't know it came cucumber melon!!!

http://www.amazon.com/Odoban-Odor-El...DOBAN+lavender

And one specifically for pet odors!!
http://www.amazon.com/Odoban-Pet-Odo...im_sbs_misc_17
countrymom 05:57 AM 06-10-2013
hmm thats interesting. I think I need some here too. I notice that the cat is stinking more. But I even bought the expensive cat litter and it still stinks. I think I have to go back to the costco brand, at least it doens't stink for a couple of days.
Blackcat31 06:28 AM 06-10-2013
Originally Posted by LaLa1923:
Where can you buy options??!!

I want some lavender!
I bought the lavender at Home Depot in a gallon size container in a concentrated formula. It is a very soft scent and not at all overwhelming.

The citrus I just recently saw and bought there too but it only came in the pump dispenser bottle already premixed.
Cradle2crayons 06:59 AM 06-10-2013
Yep the Home Depot here has all the different scents and pet odor ones etc... But I usually buy it at Walmart unless I'm at Home Depot and I'm just used to the original... But I think next time ill try one of the scents
Tags:air neutralizer, air sanitizer, odor
Reply Up