Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Thanks For The Sock Tip!
JoseyJo 11:30 AM 12-05-2013
Yesterday I read a post about putting long socks over gloves to keep the kiddos from taking them off outside.

I have 2 who keep taking their gloves off so they can complain about being cold and ask to go inside (3 and 4 yo) so I put long wolly socks over them today. Worked like a charm!

Another of our little ones came without hat or gloves today (our first day of snow this year) so I put them on him too, along with a bright pink hat. Then I took lots of pictures
DaycareMom 11:34 AM 12-05-2013
Originally Posted by JoseyJo:
Yesterday I read a post about putting long socks over gloves to keep the kiddos from taking them off outside.

I have 2 who keep taking their gloves off so they can complain about being cold and ask to go inside (3 and 4 yo) so I put long wolly socks over them today. Worked like a charm!

Another of our little ones came without hat or gloves today (our first day of snow this year) so I put them on him too, along with a bright pink hat. Then I took lots of pictures
That's awesome. We didn't get to go outside today. It's so cold and raining I am definitely going to try the sock trick!
harperluu 01:38 PM 12-05-2013
I've always put socks over an infant/toddlers hands rather than wrangle them into traditional mittens. But socks over mittens to keep them from pulling them off/keep snow out of their sleeves is a great idea. Now if only I could put a sock over their head to keep them from pulling their hats off. Ha!
Blackcat31 01:42 PM 12-05-2013
I also put big wooly socks over infant/toddler shoes. Sometimes finding boots for early walkers is hard because their feet are so small and boots aren't easy to find smaller than a size 5 so I just put their regular shoes on them and add the wooly socks over the top. Their feet stay warm and they can still walk.
daycare 01:52 PM 12-05-2013
I don't know how you snow birds do it....

we are having some rare weather in the high 20's and my DCP are freaking out that I am taking them outside. They are trying to tell me it's way too cold to go outside and that they are going to get sick......UGH

I bundle up all of the kids and then 15min later they are all crying to come back inside.
Josiegirl 03:16 PM 12-05-2013
Thank you so much for posting this!! I have one little girl who refuses to put keep her mittens on! Then she'll toddle and fall and her hands hit the snow, she cries, and wants her mittens. Two minutes later the mittens come off, she falls, cries, puts them on, scenario plays over. And over. And over argh.
Ok, stupid question here but do you put the mittens/sock on before the coat or after?
Nellie 08:38 PM 12-05-2013
Originally Posted by Josiegirl:
Thank you so much for posting this!! I have one little girl who refuses to put keep her mittens on! Then she'll toddle and fall and her hands hit the snow, she cries, and wants her mittens. Two minutes later the mittens come off, she falls, cries, puts them on, scenario plays over. And over. And over argh.
Ok, stupid question here but do you put the mittens/sock on before the coat or after?
I put mittens on then the coats. I have had the same group of kids for the last 3 years and kids are finally more independent. They finally can get dressed to go outside pretty independently. But with cold WI winters I need to put coats on them because the kids can't put there coat on when they have mittens on. Then on the coats that have straps at the end on the coat I tighten it. I am pretty anal about pants in the boot, snow boot lining over the boot, and coat over the mittens/gloves. Any kid that doesn't come with gloves/mittens I don't like I have spares they can use. Some parents will send there kid with a pair of stretchy mittens all winter. I have invested in those stretchy gloves for fall, but once there is snow and it is COLD they need nice waterproof snow-gloves. Alot of parents get the tots these mittens that end right at the wrist. Then when they raise their arms skin is exposed and snow gets in the gloves easily. I have a stash of gloves/mittens that go up the arm 3 to 4 inches. Then the coat goes on and it keeps snow out. My own children will stay outside and play for hours in the winter even if a part of them is wet/cold. I try to do my best in keeping the snow out of there gear and keeping them warm as possible. I CAN'T stand the cold. I think that is why I am so anxious about keeping the little ones warm.
Luna 03:06 AM 12-06-2013
I cut the feet off of a pair of adult socks and sewed the rest to the cuffs of a pair of mittens, so now I have mittens that go up to the little ones' armpits! Those babies do no come off. The dcks love those mittens
MotherNature 05:41 AM 12-06-2013
cool tip!
Blackcat31 05:44 AM 12-06-2013
Originally Posted by Luna:
I cut the feet off of a pair of adult socks and sewed the rest to the cuffs of a pair of mittens, so now I have mittens that go up to the little ones' armpits! Those babies do no come off. The dcks love those mittens
Most families around here buy these mittens. The sleeve either gets put under the coat sleeve or on top, but either way it keeps the mittens on and stops snow from going up their sleeve or into their mittens.

LOVE the do it yourself idea though because these mittens can be a bit more costly than regulars.

JoseyJo 11:17 AM 12-06-2013
I put them on over their knit mittens/gloves and under their coats. I would love it if each child had real winter gloves that could handle the snow but I don't want to supply them and we have a hard enough time trying to get parents to provide even the little knit gloves
Michelle 12:52 PM 12-06-2013
Originally Posted by daycare:
I don't know how you snow birds do it....

we are having some rare weather in the high 20's and my DCP are freaking out that I am taking them outside. They are trying to tell me it's way too cold to go outside and that they are going to get sick......UGH

I bundle up all of the kids and then 15min later they are all crying to come back inside.
it's cold here too!
35-50 degrees here and you would swear that my dd is ready to to out in a blizzard!
I love it though.. gloves, scarves,hats, all so cute!!!
Lianne 02:30 PM 12-06-2013
So, how do the kids use their hands in mittens like BC posted or when wearing thick socks over thick mittens. Mine have enough trouble bending their fingers to grasp a shovel or whatever in regular mittens, I can't imagine anything thicker
Blackcat31 02:43 PM 12-06-2013
Originally Posted by Lianne:
So, how do the kids use their hands in mittens like BC posted or when wearing thick socks over thick mittens. Mine have enough trouble bending their fingers to grasp a shovel or whatever in regular mittens, I can't imagine anything thicker
I only use the sock trick or super bulky mittens on kids who don't necessarily "play" outside. The littles that just walk up and down the sidewalk or the babies that are just sitting.
kitykids3 04:18 PM 12-06-2013
This is what I was wondering. Mine are less likely to play even with just knit mittens on, let alone adding another layer.
JoseyJo 06:03 PM 12-06-2013
IMO If it's cold enough to need all these layers their fingers would be so cold without the gloves they couldn't bend them to use shovels and such anyways. My current group mostly loves the playground equipment, chase, tag and soccer so they haven't had problems with thick mitten yet
Tags:mittens, socks, winter clothes
Reply Up