Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>What Do You Miss Doing?
Valerie928 01:10 PM 04-23-2020
I think it's safe to assume that we are all quarantined at home for like 99% of the time. What do you miss doing most?

I miss seeing my elderly father. He is doing great but because of the social distancing I haven't seen him since mid March.

I miss date nights with my hubs.

I miss shopping in an actual clothing store. Online is all wrong sometimes.

What do you miss?
AmyKidsCo 01:17 PM 04-23-2020
Being there for my parents. My mom was in the ER last weekend, then admitted overnight. The ER allowed my dad with her, but no-one else. I understand, but he was a mess and could've used emotional support.
Blackcat31 01:44 PM 04-23-2020
My husband and I have lunch at the same restaurant every Sunday. I miss going there and I miss the staff....they are like "friends" we meet up with every week.
nannyde 02:09 PM 04-23-2020
Full pound of potatoes olés from the Taco Johns.

Snowmom 02:46 PM 04-23-2020
Originally Posted by nannyde:
Full pound of potatoes olés from the Taco Johns.
There was a car line nearly a mile long at our neighborhood Taco John's last night. It's safe to assume potato olés are essential!
Josiegirl 04:26 PM 04-23-2020
Going to the library.

Being able to give and get hugs
One a.m. I get a text from one of my former dcms, she says 'don't be worried if you see us at your mailbox on our way to dc'. So keeping watch for them I ran out the front door when I saw her dds. We wanted to share hugs so much. It almost made me cry when the little 3 yo wrapped her arms around herself, instead of giving me a hug.
Yeh, being hugless really $ucks.

Just being able to go wherever whenever without trying to figure out the best time, if they're even open, don't forget a mask, yada yada yada.
flying_babyb 04:52 PM 04-23-2020
my mom.
I lived in chicago for two long years, and saw her twice. I moved 4 hours to be closer to mom (and be able to see her monthly). Two weeks after I moved (thank god she came to help) covid hit. Havent seen her in almost two months now.
I miss thrift stores. Its killed my second income! I would buy the cheapest grossest stuff and fix them up (and sell for 3 to 4 times more)
I miss REAL stores. before covid i was able to go to dollar tree, and big lots for grocries then stop at the goodwill. If i found a project I could walk over to micheals and get supplies. Then I could wander over to the mc. donalds for dinner and walk back to my house, all withn 2 miles!
Ariana 05:24 PM 04-23-2020
Wandering through the grocery aisles or aisles at Costco. Leisurely looking at produce and new products. Have avoided Costco this entire time.

With click and collect at the grocery store a total stranger picks out my groceries and I hate it. Today I got grapes with brown tips and a runt lime. First world problems I know but I miss doing that!

If things do not go back to normal soon my answer will be camping
Lil_Diddle 01:38 AM 04-24-2020
I miss Sunday dinners with the family, just family gatherings in general. My nephew is in the army and got back a couple weeks ago and I hate that we still haven’t all been together. I did a porch visit, but no hugs. I miss Tuesday’s off, and to myself where I could meet my husband for lunch dates and aimlessly wander Target or Kohl’s. I had just recently gotten a gym membership and was doing very well. It’s hard to stay motivated now. I miss going to the movies, with buttery popcorn. So many good ones set to come out I wanted to see. (Of course the week before the shut down, I spent $50 or so taking my kids to see onward, and now it’s on Disney+)
Pepperth 02:38 AM 04-24-2020
There are a few things that I keep coming back to. 1.) I want to go to brunch with my family after church. We hadn't done that for a while because of the cost, but I think its what I'm most looking forward to. 2.) I want to go to a coffee shop with a friend, drink coffee that I do not make, and just talk in person for a while. 3.) I want to take my kids to my parents house, sit on their deck and visit.
Valerie928 03:41 AM 04-24-2020
Originally Posted by Ariana:
Wandering through the grocery aisles or aisles at Costco. Leisurely looking at produce and new products. Have avoided Costco this entire time.

With click and collect at the grocery store a total stranger picks out my groceries and I hate it. Today I got grapes with brown tips and a runt lime. First world problems I know but I miss doing that!

If things do not go back to normal soon my answer will be camping
Funny you should mention camping! My 10 year old just said to us last night "Can't we just go camping?"👍
Josiegirl 04:01 AM 04-24-2020
Yes, thrift stores!! My stash of donations are piling up and I'm running out of books to read, puzzles to do. Call me cheap but I hate paying full price for those things. Plus right before this all hit, I had a nice big pile of stuff sorted to bring to a consignment store, hoping to make a little extra $$$. I'm also thinking if this goes on much longer, these places will have to close their doors. There is a really cool book store that sells new and used books, I have a bunch of books to bring her to sell and get store credit for.

A big thing I miss is my weekly 'day out' with my sister. She used to drop her dh off at a respite center for 3-4 hours and it was a much needed relief escape for her while giving us some golden sister time.

I do have to add that I am SO grateful it doesn't affect being online because I have no clue what I'd do then. :/
Jupadia 05:35 AM 04-24-2020
School for my kids, mostly for my 7 year old. Poor thing broke down in tears yesterday, because he wanted to go to school see friends, have the separation from home and school. My poor guy is missing his friends, and there is nothing I can do to fix it for him, cause all kids are put un the same position.

I will realy miss camping as well if we cant go this year, we have s week booked in July. Jm goping they will open the provincial parks up gof at least overnight camping use, even if they close the day areas to keep numbers low.
Blackcat31 05:53 AM 04-24-2020
Originally Posted by Jupadia:
School for my kids, mostly for my 7 year old. Poor thing broke down in tears yesterday, because he wanted to go to school see friends, have the separation from home and school. My poor guy is missing his friends, and there is nothing I can do to fix it for him, cause all kids are put un the same position.
I am currently taking care of a previous DCK who has moved along to first grade. She's been bringing her school work to care so she can do her assignments during the day. Yesterday she brought the school issued iPad because her teacher was going to have a video chat meeting with all the kids in her class that afternoon.

This little gal was so excited as she hasn't seen her teacher or her friends for several weeks now. I helped her set up the video call a few minutes prior to the scheduled time. She sat waiting in anticipation....

All of a sudden she just loses it. She's just crying her eyes out... Her teacher appeared on screen and one by one her friends popped up in the call and I think the second she saw her teacher's face the emotions hit her and she realized how much she missed going to school and seeing everyone.

She was fine and once she gathered herself together had so much fun chatting with everyone but I felt so bad for her as I don't think she was prepared for how she felt and the emotions just overflowed

It's one thing for us, as adults to cope whether we like it or not, we understand....these poor kiddos...I can't imagine what they are thinking as their whole lives are literally upended.
Gemma 07:32 AM 04-24-2020
Having family over for dinner
Being able to buy all that is necessary for home improvement

Other than that I don't mind this way of living, at all
DaveA 07:43 AM 04-24-2020
Daycare wise this completely upended my program. I structured my program to do a lot of offsite activities & learning opportunities. Library trips, zoo trips, grocery to talk about nutrition & trying new foods, farm or pet store for feed for the animals, etc. We were out and about 2-3 times a week. Even after things lift I think it will be a while before I could go back to that. So 14 years of teaching style and one of the big things that made my program unique are done. Not to mention one of my best marketing tools. That and my MIL not leaving the house at least once a day to give me a break from her.

Personally it's the basics- being able to go see family, quick trip to the store, and knowing what this is doing to so many of my friends. People who've built business are watching it put in peril. And planning things- ballgames, weekend or day trips, events both business and pleasure are toast right now. Understandable but still frustrating.
Ariana 09:45 AM 04-24-2020
Originally Posted by Valerie928:
Funny you should mention camping! My 10 year old just said to us last night "Can't we just go camping?"👍
It would be sooooo great right now because I am off and my husband can take some vacation. It will really suck if we miss an entire summer. In Alberta they are opening provincial parks to trailers with sewer and running water only and you are not allowed to leave your site. That would work for me! Having said that, Alberta has managed their cases a lot better and have a lot less cases than we do here in Ontario
Second Home 04:58 AM 04-25-2020
I miss being able to go to my kids events .

My son plays sports , I love spending time just watching him do something he enjoys. I miss the conversations we have on the way home from the events about his day and how he felt he did .

My daughter is involved with theater , she has been stage managing some productions . I miss being able to go see the plays. To see her be so happy and proud of what she has accomplished . Her face would light up when talking about designing sets , marking places , sound , lights and having a performance run smoothly .
Josiegirl 03:54 AM 04-26-2020
Looks like I'll be missing yard sales this summer; it's one of the few things I enjoy that makes me happy on weekends.
Cat Herder 05:28 AM 04-26-2020
I miss seeing my kids. I have not seen them since the first week of March.
Annalee 06:10 AM 04-26-2020
Originally Posted by Cat Herder:
I miss seeing my kids. I have not seen them since the first week of March.
I understand that. My nephews came around for the first time last weekend. Before everyone started working from home, they had some employees within their building be diagnosed so they stayed away many weeks as my niece had just had her baby and they were afraid to be around her. That part is hard!
Cat Herder 05:29 AM 04-27-2020
Originally Posted by Annalee:
I understand that. My nephews came around for the first time last weekend. Before everyone started working from home, they had some employees within their building be diagnosed so they stayed away many weeks as my niece had just had her baby and they were afraid to be around her. That part is hard!
We are all essential workers serving different groups so we are nervous to raise our odds exponentially by getting together just yet. One is running a restaurant (curbside, only), another a bakery (back ovens, so no customer service), and one serving in the military (on a ship).

I am the one most likely to get everyone sick since I can't guarantee what my clients are doing. My tiny town has had 176 cases and 3 deaths, now, and most businesses open back up today.
bklsmum 02:37 PM 04-28-2020
Family dinner on Sundays and pedicures!
Former Teacher 07:41 PM 04-28-2020
I miss eating in restaurants We do curbside but it's not the same.

On the flip side, my state is allowing restaurants to open at 25% capacity Friday so we and another couple are going out to a local favorite Mexican restaurant. I am way more excited about it than I should be

That being said, the thing I miss most of all is not seeing my furry family members. One is my furry niece. The other is my furry sister turned niece (my sister is taking care of her after my parents passed away). They are both way up in age (13 and 15 years old) but are in extremely good health.

I haven't seen them in WEEKS and it's hard. My sister keeps telling me that she's not forbidding me from seeing them....I just can't kiss them on the face. That makes it more difficult since I am an overly affectionate person lol

Until then.....I will just keep praying and wishing
rosieteddy 11:37 AM 08-18-2020
Everything ,having my kids altogether for dinner. I missed two family vacations for the first time ever. I haven't seen my sister since Christmas last year. Most of all I miss getting to hug my Granddaughter she will be two in Sept. the other 2 grandchildren were in my DC so I got to really know them. This little one not so much. I guess this is why I wrote a book lol.
Tags:coronavirus - social changes, covid-19, quarantine
Reply Up