Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Potentail DCM Can't Accept Rates...
Unregistered 08:03 AM 01-23-2013
I have been providing child care for 5 years now. I am registered, with several other certifications, and enroll in more credit hours than needed to because I want to provide the best program possible for my clients. I have a large indoor and outdoor play area, lots of developmental toys, activity centers, and a seperate sleeping area. I run my home a lot like a center because professionalism is important to me.

Rewind to a month ago...I interview a single mom who needs second shift care(for 11 hours). I only enroll DCKs 2nd shift if they are the same age as my children and allowed to participate in whatever activities I have them enrolled in. Her child was a perfect fit and got along with my children exceptionally well. She was very unhappy with her current babysitter and was looking for a new one (not a child care provider, she had a day job and just watched her child for extra money in the evenings) The reason she was wanting to leave is because her sitter spent her evenings on the computer, playing games and visiting dating websites. DCM is friends with her on FB and could see her activity, and some of it was very vulgar. Not to mention, the child was often left with her teenage children (who had foul mouths and behaviors) so she could run errands or go on dates.

Her babysitter charged her $20 a day and did not charge her on days she didn't attend, not did she give her a receipt for taxes. My rate is $150 per week regardless of attendance, and I claim all DCKs income on taxes. My rates are clearly outlined in my contract and I do not deviate from them in case clients talk, I don't want them to think anyone is treated unfairly. I did want to help this DCM out, because her child was not in a good environment and really got along well with mine, so I came up with a compromise of $25 per day and would not charge on days she wasn't there, but I would not give her a receipt. (This interview lasted 3, yes 3, whole hours of her trying to talk down my rate...I have never had one last that long and I did actually kick her out when I realized how much time had passed) She agreed and wanted to start that evening, and I told her I could begin her next week after I receive her paperwork for her file. So her start date was supposed to be Jan 7. The weekend before she says she wants to stay at the current provider and try to get her to understand her concerns, but wants to stay in touch with me if it doesn't work.

On Jan 10th I receive a text saying how much she liked it here and how much she wants her child here, but I really need to work with her as a single mom and let her pay $20 per day. I declined her offer and told her that she needed to respect my child care business and how I handle it much differently that where she is used to going and would not be lowering my rate.

There were a few texts in between then and yesterday that mainly consisted of how great my family was, how unhappy she was at the other providers, and how she is a single mom who doesn't get child support...

Yesterday I receive a text that says that she really wants to have her child in my program and knows it's the perfect fit for her, but tells me she will enroll at the $25 a day rate and I will give her a receipt because she talked to a tax advisor and I legally have to, or she will pay me $20 per day. Lol! I reminded her that I would gladly provide a receipt for taxes, and that my weekly rate is $150, and left it at that. At this point, if she sends me another text, the spot was filled.
Blackcat31 08:20 AM 01-23-2013
First off, I think your first mistake was deviating from your own rules and policies because she is a single mom.

If I had $1 for everytime I heard that, I would be rich....who cares if she is s a single mom? Does it change the type or quality of services you offer? I never understand why people think being a single mom is some sort of disability that we should all compensate for

Your second mistake was allowing her to give you such a sad song and dance.

I offer a service for a specific rate. If a parent wants it, they pay for it. period. I dont' care if they are single, married, twice divorced or a sister-wife. Makes NO difference to my budget or my finances.

I totally understand that the child is in a bad spot but again, that isn't YOUR fault.

If I were you, I would NOT offer anything special or outside what you offer other enrolling families. If I was a currently enrolled family and found out you were giving this mom special rates because of her situation, you can bet your bottom dollar I could come up with some doozy stories too about how I can't afford child care and I deserve special too.

I think that if you are ever going to do special for a parent, it needs to come AFTER they have built that relationship of trust and respect with you NOT before.

Plus how do you really know she is being truthful about the "bad environment" her child is in? I don't know, it wouldn't make a difference to me.

I run a business and ALL my clients are treated equally.

I think you are opening Pandora's Box if you give this mom a break. Charge her your normal rate and let her decide what sacrifices she will make, if any, to do what is right for HER child.

Child care is a business NOT a charity.
bunnyslippers 08:51 AM 01-23-2013
I agree with BC 100% ~ never do special!!!!! It opens the floodgates, and will lead to resentment. Stick to your policies. Her life decisions are not your problem!
Meeko 08:58 AM 01-23-2013
If you take this client, it is an absolute given she will try and bargain for other special deals. Do you really want to deal with that?

Like BlackCat...I have no patience with the 'I'm a single mom so I must get special" crowd. Sometimes their situation sucks. But guess what? We all have problems in our lives and can't expect others to take care of them.

I am currently in a lot of pain and on Friday, I will be having major dental work done. It's going to cost me close to $5000 which I cannot really afford. That doesn't mean I should ask for discounts everywhere I go. It is what it is and I have to deal with it.

I would never ask or expect someone else to lower their income to help me out.

I am not cold-hearted. A few years back we had a wonderful daycare family. Always paid on time, were respectful, thoughtful...totally perfect clients. Their house burned down in a fire and they lost everything. Despite everything, they counted their blessings that they were OK and tried to move forward. They still needed to work and so still needed to use daycare. We knew they were struggling as they had lost everything...home, all their belongings. They moved in with his parents with their two kids.

My husband and I had them come over one evening and told them we were lowering their daycare fees 50% for 6 months to help out. They were SO grateful (both cried) but they would never had asked. They had proven to us that they were honest, very hard working people and we felt they deserved a break.

I would personally run a mile from this woman. I am sure she will cause you many problems down the road.
youretooloud 09:05 AM 01-23-2013
I would not even entertain the idea of keeping her child. She is going to be SO high maintenance. She will eventually go from cajoling to intimidating you to get her way.
itlw8 09:44 AM 01-23-2013
Yes you do always have to give a reciept and claim the income. You can get in big trouble for not doing so.

I would not take her but I have in the past taken single parents and helped them out. We bartered for part of the fee. 3 hours cleaning my house a week paid in time weekly.

at 11 hours a day 4 days should be the weekly fee anyway
daycare123 09:51 AM 01-23-2013
I don't provide a receipt each week, only thing is totals at the end of the year along with my tax info. So no you don't have to give a receipt.
itlw8 09:57 AM 01-23-2013
Originally Posted by daycare123:
I don't provide a receipt each week, only thing is totals at the end of the year along with my tax info. So no you don't have to give a receipt.
I think she meant not at all so the dcm would not claim it on her taxes.
My3cents 10:41 AM 01-23-2013
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
First off, I think your first mistake was deviating from your own rules and policies because she is a single mom.

If I had $1 for everytime I heard that, I would be rich....who cares if she is s a single mom? Does it change the type or quality of services you offer? I never understand why people think being a single mom is some sort of disability that we should all compensate for

Your second mistake was allowing her to give you such a sad song and dance.

I offer a service for a specific rate. If a parent wants it, they pay for it. period. I dont' care if they are single, married, twice divorced or a sister-wife. Makes NO difference to my budget or my finances.

I totally understand that the child is in a bad spot but again, that isn't YOUR fault.

If I were you, I would NOT offer anything special or outside what you offer other enrolling families. If I was a currently enrolled family and found out you were giving this mom special rates because of her situation, you can bet your bottom dollar I could come up with some doozy stories too about how I can't afford child care and I deserve special too.

I think that if you are ever going to do special for a parent, it needs to come AFTER they have built that relationship of trust and respect with you NOT before.

Plus how do you really know she is being truthful about the "bad environment" her child is in? I don't know, it wouldn't make a difference to me.

I run a business and ALL my clients are treated equally.

I think you are opening Pandora's Box if you give this mom a break. Charge her your normal rate and let her decide what sacrifices she will make, if any, to do what is right for HER child.

Child care is a business NOT a charity.
Bingo!!! Double bump
Heidi 10:51 AM 01-23-2013
Originally Posted by youretooloud:
I would not even entertain the idea of keeping her child. She is going to be SO high maintenance. She will eventually go from cajoling to intimidating you to get her way.
Agreeing with everyone so far, and want to add: Now, because you let her pay you "under the table", she has a blackmail weapon. It's illegal, and she could in theory report you to the IRS. That said, it's not too late to fix that-just claim anything she paid you on your taxes and give her whatever receipt you should.

Edited to add: I see a few other's chimed in on that, as well. I could swear they weren't there when I answered...
e.j. 11:21 AM 01-23-2013
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
At this point, if she sends me another text, the spot was filled.
I think this is a very wise idea.
juliebug 11:25 AM 01-23-2013
i would say already spot is filled i would not deal with her anymore at all!
LittleD 08:11 AM 01-24-2013
Just wanted to point out, she could be lying about her current provider!

If her child's well being concerned her that much, she would pay the extra $$

Don't do it! But if you do, fees (regular price) upfront reiterating no pay, no stay!
Reply Up