Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>New DCK - Ever Seen This Before?
midaycare 06:14 AM 06-11-2014
I have a new dck this week that is scheduled to start receiving early services soon because she hasn't started any form of talking yet - she will be 2 in August. She really only makes a "eh, eh" sound. That doesn't concern me as much as the fact that she shakes.

When she gets excited, she does this all over body shake. When she is sad, a body shake. I have another dck who is the same age within a week and she just seems leaps and bounds ahead. Thoughts?
Blackcat31 06:18 AM 06-11-2014
I've had younger kids do this but I am not so sure about older ones.

I think it's called infantile spasms and is or can be a sign of other underlying issues such as epilepsy.

http://www.ninds.nih.gov/disorders/i...tilespasms.htm

Have her parents said anything about it? Seen a Dr about it?
Unregistered 06:24 AM 06-11-2014
My younger brother, who is on the autism spectrum, used to do a form of this. It was his form of "stemming." When he would get overstimulated, he would shake to release some of the charged energy that he was feeling. An Occupational Therapist would work with him-- using brushing and sensory activities to calm him down.
Unregistered 06:28 AM 06-11-2014
I mean "stimming." I confused him with a daisy for a minute. LOL!
midaycare 06:55 AM 06-11-2014
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
I've had younger kids do this but I am not so sure about older ones.

I think it's called infantile spasms and is or can be a sign of other underlying issues such as epilepsy.

http://www.ninds.nih.gov/disorders/i...tilespasms.htm

Have her parents said anything about it? Seen a Dr about it?
Her parents have just mentioned the not talking, but they are also first time parents, so may not realize this is a little different.
midaycare 06:58 AM 06-11-2014
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
My younger brother, who is on the autism spectrum, used to do a form of this. It was his form of "stemming." When he would get overstimulated, he would shake to release some of the charged energy that he was feeling. An Occupational Therapist would work with him-- using brushing and sensory activities to calm him down.
This would make a lot of sense because she exhibits this the most when she is excited. Overstimulation would really make sense.
midaycare 07:01 AM 06-11-2014
I'm pretty sure it's not epilepsy - I know all about that! It runs in the family - several forms of it.

It's definitely not a grand mal it petite mal, or blacking out for a few seconds.
SilverSabre25 07:47 AM 06-11-2014
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
I mean "stimming." I confused him with a daisy for a minute. LOL!
SNORT that was funny!
midaycare 09:17 AM 06-11-2014
I think maybe this is a tic. It's too frequent - every 10 to 30 seconds - for it to be from excitement.
ihop 09:45 AM 06-11-2014
I have a dcb 2 who shakes. Usually if he is excited or upset but sometimes if he is trying hard to do something. Its a pretty clear shake like when you would be cold. Not sure what it is from but its pretty often. He is very verbal though.
Childminder 11:03 AM 06-11-2014
I had a child that shakes, as did her mom. The first time I saw it dcm was trying to write a check and I asked her if she was okay because she was shaking, she blew it off and said she was fine but never elaborated. Daughter does too especially when excited or if attention was on her. Idk.
Kelly 07:27 PM 06-11-2014
My son who has Down Syndrome and autism used to do that when he was young. It was definitely some kind of stimming. He is 24 now and seldom does it anymore.
midaycare 07:45 PM 06-11-2014
Hmmm ... I'm really surprised DCM and DCD didn't mention this. I'm not going to say anything unless they do. I'm sure her doctor has noticed and I would know if it was anything serious. It happens every 30-60 seconds, so you really can't not notice it.
Tags:2 year old, developmentally delayed, milestones - speech, stimming
Reply Up