Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Missing check. Made deposit but not in my bank
DaisyMamma 10:04 AM 08-13-2014
I deposited a check written to my business, into ny business account. Or so I thought.
Days later I noticed the $ wasn't there.
The bank says there is nothing they can do because I don't have the deposit reciept, which I don't.
I made another deposit at the same time for another account so they said they might be able to find it on the tellers log.
I do have a copy of the canceled check.

It sounds like the bank doesn't expect I will get the $ back.

If I wrote in the wrong bank account on my deposit slip, OR if the teller typed the wrong bank account then the check shouldnt have been deposited since it was written to a business. Isn't that correct? What would you do?
BrooklynM 10:13 AM 08-13-2014
If you have a copy of the check, it should be very easy for them to track where the money went! I would call the banks customer service line or go into the branch and talk to a manager. They can easily track that!
SignMeUp 10:20 AM 08-13-2014
Whoever wrote you the check should be able to provide a copy, I think. There should be bank info on the back that should help the bank find it.

I had something similar a long time ago and got the same lackluster response from the bank. Eventually it was all made right, and it HAD been mistakenly deposited elsewhere, I stood on the fact that this was THEIR mistake and not mine.
And because of how they handled it, as well as a couple of previous teller errors (always when I deposited cash ... hmmm!), I changed banks.
sharlan 10:15 AM 08-13-2014
Can you contact the people who wrote the check and ask what account it was deposited in?
Angelsj 11:05 AM 08-13-2014
Originally Posted by DaisyMamma:
I deposited a check written to my business, into ny business account. Or so I thought.
Days later I noticed the $ wasn't there.
The bank says there is nothing they can do because I don't have the deposit reciept, which I don't.
I made another deposit at the same time for another account so they said they might be able to find it on the tellers log.
I do have a copy of the canceled check.

It sounds like the bank doesn't expect I will get the $ back.

If I wrote in the wrong bank account on my deposit slip, OR if the teller typed the wrong bank account then the check shouldnt have been deposited since it was written to a business. Isn't that correct? What would you do?

This is not ok. I would contact my law firm and have them call, but you might get luck with just a mention.

Call the head office and discuss it with them. If you get the same kind of response (which is akin to stealing your money btw) I would mention "running this past your lawyer, because it just doesn't feel right." You would be shocked how quickly that gets a response.
daycarediva 11:20 AM 08-13-2014
If you have the cancelled check, they can absolutely trace it. In addition, whoever wrote the check can contact them to see where it was deposited to.

My (former) bank ALWAYS made errors.

Once I had a dcp's check bounce, and I told the dcp and they said no way! Showed me their bank balance (NO WAY IN HELL, EVER). They contacted their bank...long story short, my bank never even deposited the check. It was a big fiasco. The check was "lost" even though my account showed the deposit, and then clearly showed the return for insufficient funds.

What account it went into (oh your 7 looks like a 1....no I write my 7's with a slash through them, and I write BIG!)

TWICE with cash and TWICE with the same teller. The first time she told me I wrote $400 cash back and I wrote $500 cash back. BUT the extra $100 wasn't going into any account... it was just unaccounted for. It took me explaining to the manager. SEE? receipt shows dep of 900ish but I had checks for 1000ish, cash back was written for 500 but she gave me 400.

The last straw was when I handed her $1,000 cash to dep and checks and she said it was $900 but she already put it in the drawer so I couldn't count it out for her. I stood there for almost half an hour while the manager balanced that teller's drawer and made it right (and I WAS right).
DaisyMamma 03:45 AM 08-14-2014
Wow. This turned into a great lesson learned. They did find the $. They said I wrote my acct number wrong but I wasn't shown my deposit slip.
From now on I will be checking all my reciepts and keeping them.

Great stories ladies. Let this thread be a lesson to all of us
DaisyMamma 03:47 AM 08-14-2014
Originally Posted by daycarediva:
If you have the cancelled check, they can absolutely trace it. In addition, whoever wrote the check can contact them to see where it was deposited to.

My (former) bank ALWAYS made errors.

Once I had a dcp's check bounce, and I told the dcp and they said no way! Showed me their bank balance (NO WAY IN HELL, EVER). They contacted their bank...long story short, my bank never even deposited the check. It was a big fiasco. The check was "lost" even though my account showed the deposit, and then clearly showed the return for insufficient funds.

What account it went into (oh your 7 looks like a 1....no I write my 7's with a slash through them, and I write BIG!)

TWICE with cash and TWICE with the same teller. The first time she told me I wrote $400 cash back and I wrote $500 cash back. BUT the extra $100 wasn't going into any account... it was just unaccounted for. It took me explaining to the manager. SEE? receipt shows dep of 900ish but I had checks for 1000ish, cash back was written for 500 but she gave me 400.

The last straw was when I handed her $1,000 cash to dep and checks and she said it was $900 but she already put it in the drawer so I couldn't count it out for her. I stood there for almost half an hour while the manager balanced that teller's drawer and made it right (and I WAS right).
I hope you complained and got that girl fired.
You made me realize, my acct ends in 71. I will start slashing my 7s as well.
daycarediva 03:52 AM 08-14-2014
Originally Posted by DaisyMamma:
I hope you complained and got that girl fired.
You made me realize, my acct ends in 71. I will start slashing my 7s as well.
I don't know because the next time I visited it was to pull ALL of our accounts. Dh's business checking, My business checking, our personal checking and savings, a credit card and our car loan.

I told them why, and of course they were very apologetic.
TheGoodLife 04:40 AM 08-14-2014
And that is why bankers are supposed to verify the name on the check against the name on the account (otherwise you could just take someone else's check and deposit it into your account) Cash should be verified by verbally checking the depositor's name.

So glad you got it taken care of!
NightOwl 11:19 AM 08-13-2014
True that ^^^^.
Tellers are human and make errors. Go to the branch where you deposited it, with the canceled check, and tell them to find your money. If they don't put much effort into it, say fine, I'll just go to the main branch and stop by my lawyer's office on the way. And POOF! Your money will magically be found.
I would also contact the writer of the check before going to the bank. Have them check to see if the the check cleared their bank. If so, ask for something in writing saying it has been withdrawn from their account and take that with you also.
Reply Up