Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Epipens!!!
dEHmom 05:54 AM 05-19-2011
My new little dcb stayed home yesterday because he was sick with an allergy. They are doing the process of elimination right now, and trying soy (erg!) over cows milk, etc to see if that is what it is. even though they know the risks of soy.

Anywho! My own ds when he gets stung, he almost always gets stung on the face somehow, and the whole side of his face swells up insanely. Now i do have benedryl or whatever in my cupboard for kids, but i'm thinking, this may not be enough if there is a severe allergic reaction.

It's making me nervous to think about this little dcb who is following suit of his mom, who was allergic to EVERYTHING as a child. I'm considering ordering/getting epi pens although i had no idea how much they cost!!!! In Canada I believe we need prescriptions for them, so I am going to ask my doctor about it.

But I am wondering.....

Do y'all require parents with children who have allergies to supply it, or do you guys just carry one all the time for use on any child? I'm wondering because I am thinking in an emergency situation, if the parent provides it, and another child needs it, whether it can be used on any child? obviously I would replace it if I had to use it on someone other than who supplied it. But that child may be without it for a few days or so right. And what if I am unable to replace it for some reason? Also, are there different types of epipens or are they all the same? I noticed there are adult and junior strength ones, but they cost the same amount.

And I saw an article online that said in a study done with 1200 children treated in a hospital, they all required 2 doses of epinephrine (sp?) because 1 just wasn't enough. I know that is not my call, but I want to make sure that I have time to get to a hospital or call 911. I know that I live about 2 mins from the hospital, but considering throwing all the kids in my vehicle, or if we've walked to the park, we'd have to walk back to the van or whatever. I'm sure I would just call 911 in that situation though.

wow, i did not mean to write a novel there, but I know I had nightmares last night about the dcb having allergies in my house. I was so worried maybe the allergies were actually because of my house, and that the mom just didn't want to make me feel bad, so she blamed it on milk.
KEG123 06:20 AM 05-19-2011
If there was a severe allergy I would require the parents to supply an epi pen to LEAVE at daycare. Not to sit in the diaper bag or bring each day if needed, or whatever.
Pammie 06:23 AM 05-19-2011
NEVER dose a child with an epi-pen unless that pen has been prescribed by that child's physician and supplied by a parent. The first time that a child is prescribed an epi-pen for emergency use, it comes with an instructional dvd that the parent should share with you. The child's physician will provide the parents with VERY specific written instructions on when the epi-pen should be administered - and the parents should provide you with the same written instructions.

*****It is a prescription medication.***** And not something that you should/could keep stocked for general use or even consider administering to a child without that child being prescribed. You could cause a child serious harm - possibly even death - by administering an epi-pen in a wrong situation!!!

The standard protocol for epi-pen use is to administer the epi-pen to the child then IMMEDIATELY call 911.

If this is something that you feel that you need for your son, you need to consult his pediatrician and discuss it with him/her for YOUR SON'S specific condition.
MarinaVanessa 06:35 AM 05-19-2011
Thanks Pammie, I was just going to say just about everything you covered in your post. Epipens are only meant for the person who they are prescribed for. Different people have their pens prescribed for the medications that they alone are have allergies for in their proper dosages and strengths that they need based on their age and size. If a child in your care or your own child is prescribed an epipen then yes, it would be a good idea to require a parent to supply one for you to have at daycare. They are easy to use and can be administered over clothing meaning you don't have to have skin on pen contact and can use the pen even if the are wearing jeans without having to remove them etc.
dEHmom 06:38 AM 05-19-2011
Originally Posted by Pammie:
NEVER dose a child with an epi-pen unless that pen has been prescribed by that child's physician and supplied by a parent. The first time that a child is prescribed an epi-pen for emergency use, it comes with an instructional dvd that the parent should share with you. The child's physician will provide the parents with VERY specific written instructions on when the epi-pen should be administered - and the parents should provide you with the same written instructions.

*****It is a prescription medication.***** And not something that you should/could keep stocked for general use or even consider administering to a child without that child being prescribed. You could cause a child serious harm - possibly even death - by administering an epi-pen in a wrong situation!!!

The standard protocol for epi-pen use is to administer the epi-pen to the child then IMMEDIATELY call 911.

If this is something that you feel that you need for your son, you need to consult his pediatrician and discuss it with him/her for YOUR SON'S specific condition.
That's what I figured. Thank you for that!!!!

I asked the dcm if he has one, and she said no. And I asked if it may have been something in my home that triggered this, and she said, no it's been an ongoing thing since birth. So while that makes me feel better, and that they are pretty sure it's a cows milk allergy, nothing severe enough to need an epi pen.

I just wasn't sure, because I know some people carry it incase they get bitten by mosquitos or stung by a wasp, etc. So I wasn't sure if it was just a standard thing, or if it's different for everyone.

Thanks a bunch!!!
WImom 06:54 AM 05-19-2011
I require the parent supply it to keep here. I have one with a peanut allergy and he has one here that stays here.
MG&Lsmom 08:06 AM 05-19-2011
I have a large supply here for my own children. I have to supply both schools they attend with 2 a piece and keep on hand 2 for each of my 3 children at home. They must go to school with an emergency action plan prepared by the prescribing doctor and labeled with their name in the box and on the tube inside the box. The pen itself can not be labeled as it has instructions printed on it.

For those in the US, your local school system may have a nurse that is qualified to certify you to administer the epipen, but it must be renewed every 6 months. It's a 20-30 min training.
Childminder 08:33 AM 05-19-2011
Originally Posted by :

I was told that even if the parent brings an up to date epi pen (they expire quickly)and Dr note to child care that we are NOT to administer the pen unless we have been trained in its use. The parent is responsible for us to obtain the training. Call 911. The exact time of administering it, I was told, is crucial. We live within 4 minutes of emergency response and I was told that within 15 minutes is important?!
meganlavonnesmommy 10:45 AM 05-19-2011
It depends on the allergy. My daughter is allergic to wheat/gluten/oats/barley and malt. She has celiac disease. But her reactions arent the same as a peanut allergy or other food allergy. She gets tummy aches, diarrhea and vomits. But doesnt have respiratory issues.
Not all food allergies need an epi pen.

I would wait for the dr eval and get a written statement from them as to what the suspected allergy is and what the symptoms and treatments are then follow the drs instructions.
countrymom 11:24 AM 05-19-2011
if he's allergic to milk I think thats more of an intolerance to milk. Its amazing how many people are getting allergies and intolerances mixed up. I have a child suppodesly allergic to eggs, but only raw eggs (seriously, its raw eggs, I'm not too sure at how many people feed children raw eggs) well the dr. gave him an epi pen too. But he eats anything that has eggs in it, just doens't make sense. I have a child who I'm almost postive has an intolerance to milk because he has diarrhea all the time.
just curious, when mom says he has an allergic reaction what symptoms does he have.
dEHmom 08:36 AM 05-20-2011
he is all congested and sore tummy etc. so likely intolerance, but she was allergic at a young age, so i am not sure. at least that's the information i got. if it was just a little bit of a runny nose, i didn't understand keeping him home, but i've never had allergies or had to deal with them in any way, so i wasn't sure if there was more to it or not.

he didn't come again today, but he is on meds as well. he suffers from sore ears alot. apparently it wasn't an allergy at all, and there was an infection or something. the dr's are considering putting ear tubes in, because he suffers from chronic ear pains/infections/aches, etc.

oye, poor guy.
Tags:allergic reactions, allergies, epipen
Reply Up