Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Home Daycare More Like A Center?
Abigail 04:24 PM 09-08-2011
I've been thinking a lot about reasons why people choose home daycares vs. centers. Most people I personally know say they want their kids going to a place that feels like home and even better if it's the same size of home, ex. not sending their child to a mansion house if they don't own a mansion themselves.

Well, our lower level will have a setup more like a daycare center because it's all 100% daycare. I want a quote or something to say or way to say that it's not a home setup in the home, LOL. I don't want to interview parents and have them walk inside shocked that it isn't a living room and bedroom, you know? Many people are going to expect the house to look and feel like a home so please help with a way of stating this. This should be a main advertising topic as well since it makes me unique (as far as I know).
familyschoolcare 04:49 PM 09-08-2011
Home day Care with a Center like environment/set up
blessedmess8 07:11 PM 09-08-2011
Maybe put something about a child care center attached to home?
Meeko 07:12 PM 09-08-2011
We do group day care out of the home my son lives in (but I own). When people call, I explain that we have more room than a regular home day care, (1680 sq feet of the home is dedicated completely to the children)so the kids can spread out and enjoy more room....but we are smaller than a center, with a home and family feel...so the kids don't get lost in the numbers. We tell parents we have the best of both worlds. They LOVE that. Also a HUGE selling point is that siblings are not split up as they would be in a center.

Maybe emphasize the "best of both worlds" angle?
Blackcat31 07:20 PM 09-08-2011
"100% child-friendly environment" Or "100% kid-zone" are the most used sell lines used by the providers in my area who operate family childcare in a building separate from their own home.
cheerfuldom 08:25 PM 09-08-2011
I don't think that most parents assume a home daycare will be actually in your living space (living room) although sometimes it is. i have a walk out basement and the main room downstairs is completely set up for daycare use. the parents know that the kids are not in my bedroom and rarely, in our family's areas or living room. i've never had a problem with parents expecting it to be that way, in fact, I think they love that the kids have a dedicated play space. i guess i am not seeing the issue that you are trying to avoid.....
MsMe 09:21 PM 09-08-2011
Originally Posted by Meeko60:
We do group day care out of the home my son lives in (but I own). When people call, I explain that we have more room than a regular home day care, (1680 sq feet of the home is dedicated completely to the children)so the kids can spread out and enjoy more room....but we are smaller than a center, with a home and family feel...so the kids don't get lost in the numbers. We tell parents we have the best of both worlds. They LOVE that. Also a HUGE selling point is that siblings are not split up as they would be in a center.

This is EXACTLY what we have. We are the only ones in town that do it this way and I have had parents cry when i tell them my waiting list is at least three years out and there is no chance I am 'going to call them as soon as something opens up'
TBird 09:33 PM 09-08-2011
Originally Posted by MsMe:
This is EXACTLY what we have. We are the only ones in town that do it this way and I have had parents cry when i tell them my waiting list is at least three years out and there is no chance I am 'going to call them as soon as something opens up'
Mine is too and I actually think that most parents are secretly hoping that the setup is like this. Although "home feel" or "center feel", I'm hoping it comes down to the provider(s) at the end of the day.
Sunshine44 05:08 AM 09-09-2011
I don't think parents just assume it is in your space. I know when I first became a parent and had to look for childcare I had no clue what to expect from a center or a home daycare. I toured both and found I didn't really like either that we had to offer around here. (just my particular opinion from what I saw, not all centers or homes in general) And that is partly why I have my own in home daycare now.

Ok, so I guess you could put something like "child friendly" like one person stated, but don't stress it too much. I don't think they will care too much and if they do, they aren't for you, right?

I like the "best of both worlds" saying some of them use. Tell them you live upstairs and this works for your family. It isn't their business and if they don't like it they will go elsewhere.

I do not see you losing out on a ton of business because of this.
JenNJ 05:36 AM 09-09-2011
I use the phrase "dedicated daycare space." I go on to say that since it is only used for daycare, none of the hazards found in a typical home are present. It is 100% child proofed.
Sugar Magnolia 09:47 AM 09-09-2011
Abigail, what you are describing is exactly what I have here. We are, in fact, a fully licensed center, but we are a small center in a historic house. If you pm me, I'll forward you my website so you see how I describe it! (We don't live here though).
TBird 12:07 PM 09-09-2011
Originally Posted by Sugar Magnolia:
Abigail, what you are describing is exactly what I have here. We are, in fact, a fully licensed center, but we are a small center in a historic house. If you pm me, I'll forward you my website so you see how I describe it! (We don't live here though).
Sugar Magnolia: Can I ask you if it was hard getting up to regulation in a historic house? In my state everyone says it's easier to BUILD than to try to use a space and get it up to code (unless it was already used for daycare purposes of course). I'd love to get full and then expand to a center-type space. Thanks!
Ariana 04:37 PM 09-09-2011
Centre based room set up with developmentally appropriate areas for play...?

Also don't forget to use photos if you can!
Abigail 08:15 PM 09-09-2011
Originally Posted by Meeko60:

Wow, 1,680 square feet is a lot for only half the house! Ours is slightly smaller, but I'm proud of it! What's funny is I'm actually a Hannah Montana fan and her song is Best of Both Worlds. Yeah, I'm in my mid-twenties and watch the show once in awhile.

Originally Posted by cheerfuldom:
I don't think that most parents assume a home daycare will be actually in your living space (living room) although sometimes it is. i have a walk out basement and the main room downstairs is completely set up for daycare use. the parents know that the kids are not in my bedroom and rarely, in our family's areas or living room. i've never had a problem with parents expecting it to be that way, in fact, I think they love that the kids have a dedicated play space. i guess i am not seeing the issue that you are trying to avoid.....
We'll have two bedrooms, a laundry room (entrance), a bathroom, and living room which will all be 100% daycare. Minus us using the laundry room as well. I guess the main thing parents will not see is that we don't go upstairs to eat or cook in the kitchen because we'll remain downstairs at all times. I'm not really afraid of doing the setup like this because i've really wanted to keep work separate from my personal living space anyways. Just hope I don't interview parents who want to sit in my kitchen and livingroom to interview as they send their kids off to a basic playroom downstairs, lol, it's not gonna happen.
Sugar Magnolia 01:27 PM 09-10-2011
Originally Posted by TBird:
Sugar Magnolia: Can I ask you if it was hard getting up to regulation in a historic house? In my state everyone says it's easier to BUILD than to try to use a space and get it up to code (unless it was already used for daycare purposes of course). I'd love to get full and then expand to a center-type space. Thanks!
Yeah it was no picnic. Luckily it was already restored to modern standard as far as electric and plumbing. But it was hard to install the fire alarm system. And it is high maintance in general. It also excludes me from certain ADA requirements, but I do have a handicapped ramp. Dealing with zoning was a hassle. But the house is so darn adorable it was ALL worth it.
Meyou 03:59 AM 09-11-2011
Originally Posted by JenNJ:
I use the phrase "dedicated daycare space." I go on to say that since it is only used for daycare, none of the hazards found in a typical home are present. It is 100% child proofed.

That's exactly what I say too. "A dedicated daycare space specifically for children under 5" is what I say.
Tags:advertising, center, home daycare, setup
Reply Up