Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Almost 1 Year Old That Won't Sleep
Unregistered 10:37 AM 06-11-2014
I've had this dcb since birth and he's almost one now. He will not sleep on his own. Everytime I put him down, he wakes up and screams until I pick him up. I pick him up and he settles down right away and falls asleep. It's a horrible cycle. Parents say he sleeps just fine at home and honestly, I think they hold him. When I let them know he won't sleep without me holding him, they just kind of look at me and say ok.

How do I get him to sleep and keep my sanity?
playground1 10:45 AM 06-11-2014
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
I've had this dcb since birth and he's almost one now. He will not sleep on his own. Everytime I put him down, he wakes up and screams until I pick him up.
There's your problem. He's old enough to start getting trained to sleep on his own. I would personally start with laying him down and rubbing his back/belly until he falls asleep and then eventually lying him down and leaving while he's awake.

Originally Posted by :
Parents say he sleeps just fine at home and honestly, I think they hold him.
They do, I guarantee it.

It's okay to let him cry if you know he's tired. You know best how long is a good time to do that.

Maybe do a search here for sleeping, I'm sure this has been asked a million times. Very common problem.
Play Care 10:55 AM 06-11-2014
At 1 they they are no longer infants here and I treat them as such. They get fed, changed and put down alone in the nice, dark, quiet (fan running) room. A few gentle pats and nighty night then I'm out... If they cry I wait a few minutes to see if they are settling. I *might* go in and say "shhhhhh! Friends are sleeping, night night" but I would not pick up, pat, etc. and it depends also on the child - sometimes me going in prevents them from settling and makes it last longer. In that cars I stay by the door (out of sight) and monitor the situation from there.

But he's also 1 year not 4 months and this, IMO is when it's time to do some more serious sleep training.
Reply Up