Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Very Active 8 Month Old DCG
KDC 09:39 AM 10-07-2014
I have an 8 month old DCG that is pulling herself up on everything, fast crawler, interested in discovering all the toys. Issue is I also have a 15 month old DCB that wants his own toys and nothing to do with her. I've only had her for three weeks. I like giving her time on the floor with me to explore her surroundings. She's already bonked her chin on a bin of toys, not a big deal, kids do that. Well today my 14 month old turned and whacked her cheek with another toy, I was right there and it just happened, super quick. Should I put the 8 month old in a super play yard even though she hates it. She likes to crawl in my lap for books and snuggles. When she's in the play yard she just cries and cries. My 16 month old also irritates my 2.5 yr. old by trying to take his toys. They all have plenty of space and toys they're just at that age. I need to keep her safe, so I guess it's in the play yard she goes. So frustrating The screaming really adds a level of stress that just stinks!

What are you guys doing with multiple little ones?
Play Care 09:49 AM 10-07-2014
I can't imagine all those little ones at once! Can you move the play room around so that they have separate areas but are not as confined as with the play yard? Sorry, that's all I got!
cheerfuldom 10:57 AM 10-07-2014
why can't you just leave her out? she sounds like she is happier that way and little scuffles and bumps are going to happen with that many young ones. I would focus on training the oldest kids about how to behave around baby versus keeping her cooped up. you might one option for a safe place to play momentarily but I wouldnt use the play yard as a regular thing at all. If you really cant manage the group, it might be just too many little ones for you and that is okay too. In that case, I would just be honest with the parents and send her on her way.

To me, letting a child scream in a play yard is really not better than just letting her play with the risk of little run-ins with the older kids.
CraftyMom 11:42 AM 10-07-2014
Here, I wouldn't be allowed that many under 2, for that very reason. It's difficult to supervise them all.

I wouldn't want to coop her up all the time, but sometimes, absolutely. You can't be everywhere. You have 2 eyes and 2 hands and sometimes they are both busy. So yes, I would put her in the play yard sometimes.

It seems like right now you have more little ones than preschoolers. With that many little ones you might consider overhauling your play area to be safer for that age kwim? Less bins to bonk chins on, etc. Then put the older ones in a separate area, maybe divide the room with the play yard or something, so you don't have to worry about the little ones getting into the older ones' toys and still have a safe area for them to explore
Indoorvoice 11:50 AM 10-07-2014
I don't have as many little ones as you, but a few days a week I have a 20 month old, a 13 month old, and a 10 month old together plus 2 4 year olds. They all have learned to play together. I did a lot of demonstrating gentle play and gentle touches with the older ones and that helped tremendously. I also gated off a small section of my room for the babies for times when I couldn't react quickly like diaper changes or when I was cooking. The babies liked being sectioned off in the room better than being in the pack n play. I use those times when the older kids are being too rough or not wanting to share with the babies as teaching moments to show them how they are expected to act towards the little ones. They get one chance and if they can't tolerate the babies, THEY can be separated.
melilley 01:26 PM 10-07-2014
I would let her play and just keep redirecting her. That's what I do. I have an 11 month old dcg who is also very active (has been for a long time) and always wants to play with everyone else's toys and takes them from them. The other kids yell or tell her no so I just explain to the older kids that she's just a baby and doesn't know not to do that. Then I move her. She of course goes right back, but I just move her again and try to get her interested in something else.
Cradle2crayons 01:53 PM 10-07-2014
I would NOT place the 8 month old in a play yard. If ANY of the other children are demonstrating inappropriate behaviors such as hitting others with toys, I may put THEM in a play yard or separate THEM from the other children immediately after the incident. The 8 month old should be allow to explore as much as possible.

Just as in the case of a biter, I'm not going to "punish" the victim by putting them in a play yard while the biter is free.
cheerfuldom 02:34 PM 10-07-2014
Originally Posted by Cradle2crayons:
I would NOT place the 8 month old in a play yard. If ANY of the other children are demonstrating inappropriate behaviors such as hitting others with toys, I may put THEM in a play yard or separate THEM from the other children immediately after the incident. The 8 month old should be allow to explore as much as possible.

Just as in the case of a biter, I'm not going to "punish" the victim by putting them in a play yard while the biter is free.
exactly. deal with the older kids and their behavior. let the 8 month old do her thing. teach the big ones they are not to touch the baby or any toys the baby is touching. that is what I do with my babies. no one is allowed to touch or even "help". I do everything for the baby and the kids learn that we dont touch the babies here at all.
Tags:8month old, safety issues
Reply Up