Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Scarlet Fever/Measles Questions
Jack Sprat 11:03 AM 03-01-2015
DCM let me know that her DD (3) has either scarlet fever or measles. Her last day here at daycare was last Monday. She won't have official word till Tuesday.When she was here last she was sneezing, coughing and runny nose but, no fever. DCM said the fever began Wednesday evening.

Do I need to send a text out to all the parents letting them know? She has posted on FB about so I am sure the word will spread fast.
Controlled Chaos 11:06 AM 03-01-2015
Do people still get scarlet fever???? Scary all around.

I would alert parent to symptoms to look out for and let them and the cdc know once there is a diagnosis. They both are contagious enough and dangerous enough diseases I would be super proactive.
Jack Sprat 11:20 AM 03-01-2015
I guess so...She started running a temp (103) and then vomiting. The dr. said it was viral and sent them home. Last night they went to the ER. DCG had a fever of 105 and vomiting. They tested for both and I believe the CDC was notified by the hospital.
Unregistered 11:37 AM 03-01-2015
Scarlet fever is related to strep. It can cause a rash but not sure how that rash would be confused with measles rash unless no physician saw the rash.

Notify parents when you know what kids were exposed too.

in the meantime exclude for symptoms as you normally would. If a child with a cold starts a fever or rash, let that parent know of the possibilities and do not allow them in care.

It can't take that long for those results either.
Second Home 05:06 AM 03-02-2015
A friend of mines 11yr old daughter ended up with scarlet fever when a case of strep throat went undiagnosed . The child never complained of anything but a minor sore throat until the rash appeared.
Meyou 01:20 PM 03-04-2015
Scarlet fever is no big deal. It's just strep that comes out in a rash and is easily treated with antibiotics.
Controlled Chaos 01:22 PM 03-04-2015
Originally Posted by Meyou:
Scarlet fever is no big deal. It's just strep that comes out in a rash and is easily treated with antibiotics.
ahhh sorry to panic pre google search It just sounds like "the consumption" to me.
Unregistered 01:34 PM 03-04-2015
Scarlet fever can turn into rheumatic fever, which can be far more serious.
Ariana 01:37 PM 03-04-2015
I was pregnant at a centre and one of the kids got scarlet fever. I thought that was wiped out in the 1800's

Anyway from what I read it's not serious. Measles isn't serious either and even less serious if the child was vaccinated. You might want to think about getting vaccinated as well!
Controlled Chaos 02:20 PM 03-04-2015
Originally Posted by Ariana:
I was pregnant at a centre and one of the kids got scarlet fever. I thought that was wiped out in the 1800's

Anyway from what I read it's not serious. Measles isn't serious either and even less serious if the child was vaccinated. You might want to think about getting vaccinated as well!

Sugaree 10:22 AM 03-05-2015
Originally Posted by Ariana:

But if there are any children who were exposed who are either too young to vaccinate or too can't be vaccinated then it could be a real issue.
Jack Sprat 12:36 PM 03-05-2015
It was Scarlett Fever. DCG isn't returning till next week possibly the week after. Everyone here is up to date on vax. I was concerned about what/when to tell parents if at all.
Tags:contagious, diseases, measles, scarlet fever
Reply Up