Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>40 Minutes Late - What Would You Charge?
WImom 07:16 PM 06-01-2011
I had a family today that was 40 minutes late (I close at 4:30 - they picked up at 5:10 after my DH called them at 4:45) They are not married and there was a miscommunication on who was picking up. I was not there since I needed to be somewhere so my DH stayed.

My contract states $5.00 per every minute late. Well I'm not going to charge that. I was thinking 10-15.00.

Dad has come late before but called and has also payed late recently so I do want to charge something.

What would you charge?
Abigail 07:21 PM 06-01-2011
When do they have to pay it? Five dollars a minute is expensive! I have heard of a dollar a minute after five minutes. What is your daily rate?
WImom 07:27 PM 06-01-2011
I've never used it before. I only have it on there if someone is late all the time. I think I like the wording better with the $1.00 a minute after 5 minutes. I think I'll be changing that.
Abigail 07:35 PM 06-01-2011
The client will pay an additional fee of $1 per minute if the child is dropped off earlier or picked up later than the time stipulated in this contract. All fees for early drop-off and late pickup are due at the end of that day of care. A late drop-off does not allow for a late pickup.
That is in my contract. I don't have the five minute grace period in print BECAUSE with the absense of a grace period helps the parents be on time every time and not always 4-5 minutes late. You can leave it up to your decision if three minutes is your limit or three times is what you will let slide. KWIM?
WDW 07:40 PM 06-01-2011
I also do $1.00/minute. I would caution to be careful charging anything though... the reason I say this... I understand you're not going to do the $5 a minute thing for 40 min... but if you cut it down to less than your contract says, then this family will most likely barter with you on other fees, thinking you'll take less. I don't know, just a thought. 40 min. late. Wow I hope they had a good reason.
NiNi.R. 07:52 PM 06-01-2011
Originally Posted by Abigail:
The client will pay an additional fee of $1 per minute if the child is dropped off earlier or picked up later than the time stipulated in this contract. All fees for early drop-off and late pickup are due at the end of that day of care. A late drop-off does not allow for a late pickup.
I like what you do I'll have to change mine...to bad I just handed out the new handbooks.... I only do $2.50 every 15 mins per child. So of course some of the parents soak up that 15 mins for all its worth.
MyAngels 08:16 PM 06-01-2011
Originally Posted by WImom:
I had a family today that was 40 minutes late (I close at 4:30 - they picked up at 5:10 after my DH called them at 4:45) They are not married and there was a miscommunication on who was picking up. I was not there since I needed to be somewhere so my DH stayed.

My contract states $5.00 per every minute late. Well I'm not going to charge that. I was thinking 10-15.00.

Dad has come late before but called and has also payed late recently so I do want to charge something.

What would you charge?
If I'm doing the math right, your late fee would have been $200 for the 40 minutes. Since you don't want to go that high, I would prepare a note with the late fee detailed out:

"Per our contract, my late fees are $5.00 per minute. Since you were 40 minutes late picking up yesterday, the normal fee would have been $200. However, I understand that miscommunications can happen, and in light of that I am going to reduce this fee, as a one time courtesy to $____. I want to stress that this is a one time courtesy. I trust that late pick ups will not be a problem in the future, and from this point forward, the contracted late fees will apply."

I would just make it clear that you are being extremely generous by reducing the fee, but you don't plan on doing it a second time .
wdmmom 08:58 PM 06-01-2011
I would charge them $20 and tell them it's a one time courtesy.

If it happens again, I'd hold them to any and all fees incurred.
Hunni Bee 10:12 PM 06-01-2011
We had a parent call at 6:05 (we close at 6:00!!) and say she would be late - cool, she's usually a little late and she's a really nice parent, so we don't bother her.

She did not show up until 6:45 Her 2-year-old had been there since 7:10 am...nearly 12 hours. Our director was livid...but I and another teacher were the one's who had to stay!

As the summer draws nearer, we're all going to be seeing more and more of this.

Get your calculators ready, ladies.
NiNi.R. 04:30 AM 06-02-2011
Originally Posted by Hunni Bee:
She did not show up until 6:45 Her 2-year-old had been there since 7:10 am...nearly 12 hours. Our director was livid...but I and another teacher were the one's who had to stay!
My best friend worked at a childrens academy and if the parent were late they had to pay their fees at pick up to the teacher that had to stay late with the student.
Cat Herder 05:00 AM 06-02-2011
I, personally, would charge $40.00.

That would be the last time it happened.
nannyde 05:05 AM 06-02-2011
I would charge the forty dollars UNLESS they were perfect parents in every other way and this was really an accident ... super odd occurance.

Then I would say to them... now to everyone else that's been late I have charged forty bucks but I'm going to waive that for you just one time. My policy on being late is: Don't do it.
Sunshine44 06:00 AM 06-02-2011
Oh how nice it would be to actually get the normal late fee from them, but I doubt that would happen. I'd make sure they know that your being very generous by not charging the full amount of the late fee and in the future all late fees will be applied.

I know accidents happen, but I feel like if you really let it slide too much that they will continue to have more and more accidents.
WImom 06:49 AM 06-02-2011
They are new family getting used to using a childcare so I decided to not charge them this time since each parent thought the other was picking up. She emailed me last night again to say how sorry she was and that it would never happen again. I did email back and tell her I wouldn't charge this time but if she was picked up late in the future there would be late charges added.

When she picked up she did tell my husband tell let her know what she owed for being late so I know she wasn't trying to get out of it.

I will be changing my contract this weekend and will be having all parents sign the changed form. Thanks for all the wording help.
Sugar Magnolia 07:36 AM 06-02-2011
If your policy says 5 bucks a minute, say "I will not charge you $200, but I will charge you my maximum, which is $50".

Here, I get a dollar a minute, maximum of $60. Anyone later than one hour is terminated @ first offense.
Meyou 07:39 AM 06-02-2011
I would charge $40 too. $1 per minute late.
momma2girls 07:43 AM 06-02-2011
Originally Posted by NiNi.R.:
I like what you do I'll have to change mine...to bad I just handed out the new handbooks.... I only do $2.50 every 15 mins per child. So of course some of the parents soak up that 15 mins for all its worth.
I have $5.00 per 15 min. I have never actually charged this though.
I think the $2.50 is reasonable, but I know families that would abuse this over and over again, for that price. I would definately increase this!!
Cat Herder 08:02 AM 06-02-2011
Originally Posted by WImom:
I had a family today that was 40 minutes late

What would you charge?
Just to clarify...Dad called and came late once (no fee because he called), came late and paid the second time, then was 40 minutes late this time....Right?

So 3 occurrences, same family??

Why would you feel guilty for making them follow your policy that they signed and agreed to.

Did I read it wrong?

I don't want to come off as "mean" but that is how I read it when I posted "charge them" above.

Now, IMHO, $5 a minute is extreme but $40 is cheap after the 3rd offense and still being "new".
daycare 08:10 AM 06-02-2011
I had a family that was always late.
The first time it happened I wrote a friendly reminder letter reminding them of the rules and their contract times. I let them know that this time no charge bit next time they will be charged.
After this, I would call or text them when they were running late and say your late fees are starting to incur please promptly retrieve your child from DC to avoid excessive late fees. I would charge a $1 a min but this family wasn't phased by it, so every time they were late I added $.50 to the minute rate. Before they left the DC they were paying $6.50 a min late fee.
They made me money. I was sad I had to term. Lol but hated that they never picked up on time.
SimpleMom 10:13 AM 06-02-2011
$40.00 and they I only give three times like this before I term. I usually give 3 grace periods and then charge--except if they don't call or show up for 40 minutes. I let them know that,too.

I've only had to do that once.
jojosmommy 10:46 AM 06-02-2011
I wouldn't charge them $200. I would charge them $40 and tell them if they want to split it because they both claim it was the other persons fault that is their issue to deal with. I would do what the previous poster said and explain that you COULD charge them $200 that but are choosing not to. I would also tell them that had you been home and not your husband you would have started calling emergency contacts to have the child picked up.

Tell them that since they have done it before, they have 15 min (which will be charged and due at pick up) and after that you will start calling people to have the child picked up. Nobody I know wants to look like a schmuck to their neighbors/friends/family or who ever they have chosen as emergency people.
Tags:late fees
Reply Up