Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Very Frustrated! Need Help And Opinions!
Soupyszoo 08:15 AM 03-14-2012
Basically to make a long post short. My Dcp's are taking advantage of my flexibility. I want to change my hours and have a late fee. My current hours are 6:30-6. Not bad, but I have a family that shows up anytime after 6 that they please with not so much as a text or phone call or apology. They act like we work for them and are just here doing nothing!

It messes up our night and makes my family "suffer" because by the time everyone is picked up its time for dinner baths and bed

So I am very angry about this. I have been stewing for a while and have had enough. I need help with a letter that will sound professional without sounding emotional.

How wordy should I be? Should it be short and sweet or should i add the inconvenience that is causes when they are inconsiderate. It's like they don't know!!

How should the letter start?
Should I email it or print it out or both?

I also want it to start by monday at the latest...

What do you guys think?
Blackcat31 08:22 AM 03-14-2012
Do you use open/close hours or contracted hours?

Have you actually said anything to the daycare family before about their inconsistent pick up times and lateness?

Do you have a late fee policy written into you handbook that they signed and agreed to?
Soupyszoo 08:31 AM 03-14-2012
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
Do you use open/close hours or contracted hours?

Have you actually said anything to the daycare family before about their inconsistent pick up times and lateness?

Do you have a late fee policy written into you handbook that they signed and agreed to?
I use contracted hours, but didn't have a late fee in place. Im new and learning. This family said at their interview that they would be picking up between 530 and 545pm. I have other families that all pick up their kids at 530 no problem. this family gets off work at 430 and has a problem getting here before 6. I think my biggest issue is that they don't communicate, they just do it! It is very disrespectful I have mentioned in the past... but they continue to be late. Thats why I feel I should write something up.
mrsp'slilpeeps 08:31 AM 03-14-2012
I too had a DCM that showed up after 6 pm, and it really did make our family suffer, missed appt's, late dinners, rushing to get to activities.

My hubby said enough is enough.

I changed my hours through a letter to all of the parents.

I would say in the letter that you are changing yours hours to such n such a time as of April 1, 2012, just to give the parents a little heads up and some time to adjust thier work schedual.

Just plain and simple words.

Dear parents, As of April 1, 2012, I will be adjusting my hours to.......

Please make a note of this.

I will also be implementing a late fee of $1.00 per minute after closing time.

I thought legally children are only supposed to be in childcare for 10 hours a day max.

Like my mom always says, it's your business, you can do what you want.

BTW that dcm left my care that month, so be forwarned, it may happen.
MamaBear 08:34 AM 03-14-2012
I made this change a few years ago... I was open 6am-6pm and it was just burning me out and causing difficulty for my own family too. By the time the kids left, it was late and dinner time was late... baths late, it was dark already... I hated it.

I wrote a very simple letter to the parents & gave them a 1 month notice of the change. I changed my hours to 7am-5pm so I knew it would effect one family in my care. They ended up leaving me because of the change. They would drop the son off at 7am and pick up right at 6... although the mom would get off work at 3! So I didn't think it would be an issue for them. But I guess she loved her ME time and that wasn't negotiable for her. I was a little relieved because they were a problem family.

I would make the letter simple and straight to the point... something like:

Dear Daycare Parents:

Effective April 1, 2012 my daycare hours will be changing from 630am-6pm to being the new hours of 7am-5pm. This change is due to my own personal family needs. I appreciate your understanding of this change.

Sincerely,
Soupyzoo...

I gave them a month notice, but I don't think it needs to be that far in advance. Will the time change effect a lot of your families?
Blackcat31 08:34 AM 03-14-2012
Originally Posted by mrsp'slilpeeps:
Dear parents, As of April 1, 2012, I will be adjusting my hours to.......

Please make a note of this.

I will also be implementing a late fee of $1.00 per minute after closing time.

I thought legally children are only supposed to be in childcare for 10 hours a day max.

Like my mom always says, it's your business, you can do what you want.

BTW that dcm left my care that month, so be forwarned, it may happen.
to the bolded part! Keep it short and sweet and simply say you are now implementing a late fee with any late pick ups. Have each parent sign and date the notice and keep it in their file.

As far as MAX hours a kid can be in daycare, some states regulate that and others couldn't care less. Every state is different.
Soupyszoo 08:40 AM 03-14-2012
Originally Posted by MamaBear:
I made this change a few years ago... I was open 6am-6pm and it was just burning me out and causing difficulty for my own family too. By the time the kids left, it was late and dinner time was late... baths late, it was dark already... I hated it.

I wrote a very simple letter to the parents & gave them a 1 month notice of the change. I changed my hours to 7am-5pm so I knew it would effect one family in my care. They ended up leaving me because of the change. They would drop the son off at 7am and pick up right at 6... although the mom would get off work at 3! So I didn't think it would be an issue for them. But I guess she loved her ME time and that wasn't negotiable for her. I was a little relieved because they were a problem family.

I would make the letter simple and straight to the point... something like:

Dear Daycare Parents:

Effective April 1, 2012 my daycare hours will be changing from 630am-6pm to being the new hours of 7am-5pm. This change is due to my own personal family needs. I appreciate your understanding of this change.

Sincerely,
Soupyzoo...

I gave them a month notice, but I don't think it needs to be that far in advance. Will the time change effect a lot of your families?
No, all my other families pick up at 530 everyday without fail. and when they are late which is rare, they will call me and ask and they usually pay an extra day. I only charge $25 for around 11 hours a day per kid. I feel like they are taking advantage of the situation and flexibility for sure! I enjoy being flexible and helping people out. I do not like being disrespected and thats what it feels like. ESPECIALLY when she can't communicate and doesn't apologize. it infuriates me
MamaBear 08:43 AM 03-14-2012
Originally Posted by Soupyszoo:
No, all my other families pick up at 530 everyday without fail. and when they are late which is rare, they will call me and ask and they usually pay an extra day. I only charge $25 for around 11 hours a day per kid. I feel like they are taking advantage of the situation and flexibility for sure! I enjoy being flexible and helping people out. I do not like being disrespected and thats what it feels like. ESPECIALLY when she can't communicate and doesn't apologize. it infuriates me
I would just do it and make that change. If that family doesn't like it - then they can go. You might lose them, but its not worth the stress to you or your family to have to be so flexible for them. I bet when you change the hours, they will manage a way to pick the child up earlier. They are just probably getting lazy about picking him up earlier and taking advantage of the situation too. Do whats right for you and your family. Sorry she makes you feel that way Hugs to you!
daycare 08:44 AM 03-14-2012
When I started out I was having to make revisions to my PHB and policies every other week. LOL

I know that the parents were all getting worked up over it and I just flat out told them. Hey I am new to this.

As we go through this Journey together, I will need everyone on board to work with me. Over the next several months, you will see a lot of changes taking place. If ever you feel that something I am asking is unfair, please talk with me about it immediately.

Thank you for your cooperation and understanding. I look forward to traveling this journey together with you and your child

DCP
Soupyszoo 08:45 AM 03-14-2012
Ok so this family had said in their interview that they would be picking up between 530 and 545. Do you think its bad to ask that they be here by 530? I know they get off work at 430 so i don't see the big deal. I guess I have to be prepared for them to leave... This family has been my biggest issue since they started six months ago... I hate to lose the income, but at the same time, is it worth it over a half hour?? What about implementing a rate increase and making their pick up time 6pm and a late fee of $1 every minute after that?
MizzCheryl 08:46 AM 03-14-2012
Geez the parents wanna pick up at 6pm and put the kids to bed.
I used to do that too. Then started closing at 5 still would have late parents. Now I close at 4pm. I tell them those are my hours and if they can't make it I can't keep their kids. I still have a few problems with late parents but not like I did. and 10 after 4 isn't nearly as aggrivating as 10 after 6. Closing at 4pm has been wonderful for me and my family. The children you keep are better too because they get more quality time with parents.
I have the only 5 star home daycare in my city right now so that helps keep me full.
Soupyszoo 08:48 AM 03-14-2012
Originally Posted by MamaBear:
I would just do it and make that change. If that family doesn't like it - then they can go. You might lose them, but its not worth the stress to you or your family to have to be so flexible for them. I bet when you change the hours, they will manage a way to pick the child up earlier. They are just probably getting lazy about picking him up earlier and taking advantage of the situation too. Do whats right for you and your family. Sorry she makes you feel that way Hugs to you!
Thank you. This dcm has been the hardest person I've ever had to deal with. she's very selfish and self involved. i have a feeling it never even crossed her mind that this was wrong! Do you think Monday is too soon to make the date of change?
Soupyszoo 08:50 AM 03-14-2012
Originally Posted by Clueless:
I used to do that too. Then started closing at 5 still would have late parents. Now I close at 4pm. I tell them those are my hours and if they can't make it I can't keep their kids. I still have a few problems with late parents but not like I did. and 10 after 4 isn't nearly as aggrivating as 10 after 6. Closing at 4pm has been wonderful for me and my family. The children you keep are better too because they get more quality time with parents.
I have the only 5 star home daycare in my city right now so that helps keep me full.
Thats awesome! I would love to close at 4! or even 5! shoot unfortunately most people in my area work 9-5ers. So 530 is reasonable. PLUS most parents WANT to pickup their kids asap, but then some don't Im learning, and growing my backbone. I really appreciate all advice!
MrsB 09:14 AM 03-14-2012
Originally Posted by Soupyszoo:
Thank you. This dcm has been the hardest person I've ever had to deal with. she's very selfish and self involved. i have a feeling it never even crossed her mind that this was wrong! Do you think Monday is too soon to make the date of change?
I think personally you need to give them 2 weeks notice for anything you are changing in your contract. So if you already have the hours 6-6 in your contract you need to give them a set time to make provisions or give notice. If you are adding policies like say the late fee, Monday notice is okay. KWIM?
Soupyszoo 09:18 AM 03-14-2012
Originally Posted by MrsB:
I think personally you need to give them 2 weeks notice for anything you are changing in your contract. So if you already have the hours 6-6 in your contract you need to give them a set time to make provisions or give notice. If you are adding policies like say the late fee, Monday notice is okay. KWIM?
I was thinking 2 weeks also. Knowing this family they will abuse the next two weeks and then leave. I think thats why I'm leaning towards next monday, but yeah the right thing to do is at least 2 weeks.
TBird 09:39 AM 03-14-2012
I agree with everyone here. It's a business...keep it short & sweet. If their bank changed their hours or policies, they wouldn't even blink.

Oh yes...and two weeks notice so they can get themselves together is a good idea as well.
bunnyslippers 11:20 AM 03-14-2012
I had this problem my first year. Now, when I interview with parents, I let them know that I close at 4:00, with no exceptions. I let them know that I have a late fee in place for late pick-ups, but that if I need to charge it more than twice we will need to re-evaluate our contract.

I know things come up...but I also know many families that don't mind paying a late fee and will take advantage of my time. Money is nice, but my family time is nicer. I just don't have the patience for early/late dropoffs/pickups.
momma2girls 11:43 AM 03-14-2012
Do not give out times that you are open. Just say I am open for work and commute times only!!!!! Then make sure you have both parents hrs. and what they will be needing for daycare hrs.
momma2girls 11:45 AM 03-14-2012
Originally Posted by Clueless:
I used to be open til 5:30 in the evening. Somehow one family almost everyday was late!! There were many days a child was in my daycare for 11-12 hrs. a day!!! That is when I finally put my foot down, and grew a huge backbone!!! From then on, now I close at 4:30 and not a min. later!!
Tags:late fees, pick up times
Reply Up