Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>WHY Can't Parents Get That They Can't And SHOULDN'T Bring Their Kids
sahm2three 08:54 AM 01-09-2012
when they are sick?!?! This darn sickness is just making its way thru the group and now my assistant is sick and I am starting to feel it too. KEEP YOUR SICK CHILDREN HOME!!!!! I sent 3 home last week (2 that I KNEW they had given tylenol because they "mysteriously" ended up with a fever around 10:30), and will be sending 2 home today. I know the boys were sick over the weekend, thanks to Facebook. I texted the mom last night to see how they were doing . and she said they were just about 100% better. NOT so at ALL. UGH
littlemissmuffet 09:03 AM 01-09-2012
Originally Posted by sahm2three:
when they are sick?!?! This darn sickness is just making its way thru the group and now my assistant is sick and I am starting to feel it too. KEEP YOUR SICK CHILDREN HOME!!!!! I sent 3 home last week (2 that I KNEW they had given tylenol because they "mysteriously" ended up with a fever around 10:30), and will be sending 2 home today. I know the boys were sick over the weekend, thanks to Facebook. I texted the mom last night to see how they were doing . and she said they were just about 100% better. NOT so at ALL. UGH

Just keep sending home.
I have threatened termination in the past with particular parents who consistantly bring in sick kids or medicate before dropping off without telling me (not realizing we ALWAYS know ). Letting them know that not folloowing my rules will result in not having daycare usually does the trick.
I don't have time or patience to constantly explain the rules of my house and business - if you can't respect my rules, you don't respect me and we simply cannot have a working relationship. End of story.
countrymom 09:11 AM 01-09-2012
I fixed the problem, I don't charge for sick days, this way the parents won't bring their kids here when they are sick. And it works, i did have the odd parent who I fought with all the time about their sick kid and after 3 months on of constant illness (I mean everyone was sick for weeks) I termed them. I come to find out that he acually had something very contagious.
littlemissmuffet 10:30 AM 01-09-2012
Originally Posted by countrymom:
I fixed the problem, I don't charge for sick days, this way the parents won't bring their kids here when they are sick. And it works, i did have the odd parent who I fought with all the time about their sick kid and after 3 months on of constant illness (I mean everyone was sick for weeks) I termed them. I come to find out that he acually had something very contagious.
Yikes. That would be a loss of around $1000/year for me and I just couldn't do it.
countrymom 10:41 AM 01-09-2012
acually, its very rare that kids are sick here, so I really don't have a loss. But when I did have this kid that made us all sick, I did have kids out, I got rid of the problem and voila, kids didn't get sick anymore. I found that by not charging the parents then they would have no excuse to bring their kids here when they are sick and getting everyone else sick.
SunflowerMama 10:48 AM 01-09-2012
I'm dealing with the same thing right now. Sent one home Thursday and one Friday with a fever and could have sworn 5 month old dcb had croup earlier in the week but mom took him in and said it was an ear infection. Today 9 month old dcb is out with croup . Awful! I just sent out an email telling everyone to really consider the group and if they think their child has more than a little cold to PLEASE keep them home until they are healthy.
bunnyslippers 11:03 AM 01-09-2012
This was a problem for me, too (and still sometimes is). Last year, we had a stomach bug run through here. The originating child had it for "24 hours" over a vacation. Well, three days later my 8 month old and my 3 year old both started vomiting overnight. I had to close down the next day (which I have NEVER done). My baby then ended up in the hospital for 6 days because he became so dehydrated. Daycare was closed the whole time. When people finally were allowed to return to my home, I made it very clear that we would never have had the problem if families were honest about the health of their children and kept them home when ill. I then followed up with a letter reviewing my sick policy at length. I do not hesitate to send kids home anymore, and I have turned them away at the door. It is SOOO hard to do, but I can't risk my own children's health. What's worse is that I only take teacher's children - as a former teacher, I KNOW how much sick time teacher's get, and how easy it is to access. Just call in and take care of your own sick babies!!!!!! So annoying (excuse my little rant - obviously a touchy subject for me ).
JennyBear 11:28 AM 01-09-2012
Originally Posted by littlemissmuffet:
Yikes. That would be a loss of around $1000/year for me and I just couldn't do it.
same here! That would be such a loss for me! I started off not charging for sick/missed days and I VERY QUICKLY learned that I can not financially do that. It's a great incentive but I have bills to pay.
bgmeyers 01:31 PM 01-09-2012
I think it's a wise woman from here that has the policy that if she sends them home it's 48 hours before they can come back. If the parents wise up they'll realize it's better to keep them home that one extra day and then they don't risk loosing 2 whole days in addition.

I really like this idea and am adding it to my next go round of contract changes.
Meeko 01:43 PM 01-09-2012
Some clients that would take advantage of that.

"Mom's got the day off! Lets go to visit Aunt Sue. Just call the day care and say Billy is sick and we don't have to pay!"

"Hmm..finances a bit tight this week....let's tell the day care Billy is sick and then just take him to grandmas, so our day care bill is less."

I couldn't make a steady income that way.
countrymom 06:13 PM 01-09-2012
I live in the county, all grandmas live way to far for anyone to watch them. I have always had a good group, and the parents like this policy. I've never had anyone abuse it. It really has cut down on sick kids here.
Meeko 06:22 PM 01-09-2012
I live in the county, all grandmas live way to far for anyone to watch them. I have always had a good group, and the parents like this policy. I've never had anyone abuse it. It really has cut down on sick kids here.
I'm jealous!
littlemissmuffet 12:58 PM 01-11-2012
acually, its very rare that kids are sick here, so I really don't have a loss. But when I did have this kid that made us all sick, I did have kids out, I got rid of the problem and voila, kids didn't get sick anymore. I found that by not charging the parents then they would have no excuse to bring their kids here when they are sick and getting everyone else sick.

I'm so glad this works well for you, and you don't feel a negative financial impact from it My concern would be parents lying about their child being sick... almost all my parents take random long weekends each month and I could see them saying so and so is sick just to get a free day.
Too bad the bad seeds ruin it for everyone.
Tags:exclusion, illness, illness policy, illness policy - samples
Reply Up