Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Advice for Stubborn (?) 3 Yr Old
tbutler 09:09 AM 09-03-2011
A family called yesterday in desperate and immediate need of care for her 6 month old daughter. I agreed to interview today and if it goes well, child will start Tuesday.

What was disclosed during phone conversation:
*mom and dad are in military and will be deployed in November
*family just moved to area
*kids (dd and a son in elementary school) just moved here yesterday, Friday
*need care 7:30-5:30 (my hours are 7-5:30)

Questions I know to ask:
*Do u only need care until Nov?
*is she on a eating/sleep schedule?

Also, I have my own dd (3), and two dcg (also 3). Enrolling this 6 month old means I can only enroll one more 18 month or older instead of two. This makes me lose about $500/month. BUT, thinking long term, I could potentially have this child until she is 5 if family is not relocated. Once she turns 18 months I then can enroll another kid. I'm also wondering if I still we be able to give the adequate attention and still teach the three year olds. I really think I can if I get her on a schedule. And what do I do/teach a 6 month old?

I'd appreciate experienced thoughts/opinions please.
Blackcat31 09:29 PM 09-03-2011
I assume you have already interviewed since it is evening now. What did you ifnd out about long term or short term care?

If it is long term, keeping a 6 month old occupied and part of your group shouldn't be tough at all and I would think the 3 three year olds will be easily schooled on how a baby's needs are different than theirs.

If short term care only is needed than I would consider taking the child if I had no other children to fill the spot AND if the family and child will be a good fit for my rules/policies.
Kaddidle Care 04:49 AM 09-04-2011
Your topic title is someone elses. That's really weird. Michael???
tbutler 08:28 AM 09-06-2011
Originally Posted by Kaddidle Care:
Your topic title is someone elses. That's really weird. Michael???
Very WEIRD being that I started a new thread!!!! Don't you just love technology?!?!
tbutler 08:30 AM 09-06-2011
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
I assume you have already interviewed since it is evening now. What did you ifnd out about long term or short term care?

If it is long term, keeping a 6 month old occupied and part of your group shouldn't be tough at all and I would think the 3 three year olds will be easily schooled on how a baby's needs are different than theirs.

If short term care only is needed than I would consider taking the child if I had no other children to fill the spot AND if the family and child will be a good fit for my rules/policies.
Well, this family was a no call, no show. I wasn't really sure of what to do. They made the decision for me. Guess it wasn't meant to be, lol!
Kaddidle Care 09:48 AM 09-06-2011
Originally Posted by tbutler:
Very WEIRD being that I started a new thread!!!! Don't you just love technology?!?!
You may be able to go to your first post and re-name the thread.
wdmmom 11:47 AM 09-06-2011
Anytime someone contacts me and wants to start right away is a huge RED FLAG for me.

I'm easily deterred from working for anyone if they are needing care in a day or two or three.

I require 2 in-person interviews and don't do them over the weekends. If they are needing care and really want me, they are willing to wait at least a week.
Tags:3 year old, infant care, infant curriculum, interview, stubborn child
Reply Up