Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Parents and Guardians Forum>Concerned Over Water Fountain & Bathroom..
magnolia 11:27 AM 10-26-2010
My grandson is in the 2 year old room and the bathrooms are in the same daycare room with 1/2 walls and no lids on the toilets. Toilets can spray over 20ft and can easily get on the tables where they eat. The sinks are directly across from the toilets and have water fountains on them so the kids can get their own water. So in other words the kids go to the bathroom, then wash their hands directly over the water fountains attached to the sink. Would anyone else have a problem with this or am I over reacting?

This is a YMCA Daycare center

Thanks!!
QualiTcare 01:31 PM 10-26-2010
i'm pretty sure if the design was against any regulations - someone from licensing or a building inspector would've noticed by now.

in my children's old daycare they had sinks right outside of the restrooms that had water fountains on them, but they also had a sink inside of the restroom and that's the one the kids actually used to wash their hands. as far as toilet water spraying onto the tables - i think that would be highly unlikely, but even if it were to happen - the tables should be sanitized before they eat each time.
DBug 03:22 AM 10-27-2010
That does sound really icky! Check into the regs for your state -- in Ontario, there are regulations about where toilets/potties and eating areas can be in relation to each other. The center I worked at was cited once for having potties close to an eating table. We were in the toddler room, and the bathroom was up a steep flight of stairs out of sight of the other kids. We wanted to make sure the kids could get to the potty when they needed to, so we had them in the playroom. But apparently (I'm not an ECE), there are specific rules about that.

Check into it and then tell the director what you find out. She may actually prefer hearing it from you, rather than licensing, and be able to change it. I know our director just hadn't noticed (and we didn't know any better). Good luck!
Tags:safety, violations
Reply Up