Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
1 2 
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>I Gave A Parent Notice And Now They Are Badmouthing My Daycare
permanentvacation 10:43 AM 10-23-2013
About a month ago a family hired me to watch their son. He had been home with mom his whole life - 1 year - and I knew it would take some time for him to adjust to leaving mom. However, his parents came in any where from 1/2 to an hour late pretty much everyday. Every day, the little boy came in exhausted as if he hadn't slept much at all over night. Every morning, whether it was mom or dad bringing him in, they would tell me that he's tired.
He would fight his sleep and would not fall asleep until between 12:30 - 2 in the afternoon. The majority of the day he cried, screamed, rubbed his eyes, and yawned!

I have owned a licensed daycare for 25 years and I tried everything I know with this little boy to help him adjust. He did, occasionally stop crying and would play - but it wasn't often or for too long. If I took 3 steps away from him, he would scream as if Freddy Kruger walked into the house. If I opened the house door he would scream.

Tuesday evening, Grandpop picked the little boy up from daycare. We began discussing him being tired all the time and won't relax and take a nap here. Grandpop told me that the little boy doesn't sleep anywhere for anyone! He also demandingly announced that his parents let him watch tv all day an that if I would just put the television of for him, he would be happier! I told him that I don't allow the children to watch tv much at all because it's not good for them. I would rather that they interact with each other, with me, and play than watch tv. Grandpop said, "Well, maybe you should put the tv on, you'd have a much better day." So, I learned that the little boy wants to watch tv all the time and there's no way he will sleep here. - UGH!

Wednesday morning, Dad brought his child in who was completely asleep in his car seat. So, after 3 1/2 weeks of watching him, I told the dad that I would finish watching him through that Friday, but that Friday would have to be my last day. He flipped out, yelled about him needing to work, yelled that I should let him watch tv like all kids get to do, announced that he would not leave his child here through Friday, snatched his child up and rushed out of the house. His wife called me about 2 minutes after he left. She yelled and cussed at me!

Now, they are on Craigslist badmouthing my daycare! Now I don't know what to do about that. Have any of you experienced this and what did you do and what would you suggest that I can do?

Thanks!
melilley 10:47 AM 10-23-2013
Oh geez, sorry this is happening to you! You did the right thing though. I can't believe they said to let him watch tv and you will have a better day!
This child isn't going to last in any daycare that doesn't allow tv watching all day!

Sorry, I don't have any advice, just sympathy!
Willow 10:56 AM 10-23-2013
What exactly are they saying about you on craigslist?
butterfly 10:59 AM 10-23-2013
Flag their craigslist ad, it'll end up coming down.

You did the right thing. If you've been in business for 25 years, I'm sure you have tons of great word of mouth. I wouldn't worry too much about what these parents have to say. If they are bad mouthing you, by telling everyone that you wouldn't let their kid watch tv... That seems like a ridiculous thing to be upset about and most parents are going to understand that these parents are being a little ridiculous.

redmaple 11:06 AM 10-23-2013
Yes, flag it to be removed.

I've heard others mention taking a screen shot of it to have on hand, and any others they may be posting on other cites. If they continue to post them, you may wish to contact them to desist in the slander or legal action will be taken.
cheerfuldom 11:06 AM 10-23-2013
Since you have 25 years of good reputation, I wouldnt worry at all about this. Flag the ad. If you have a trusted person that will help you flag the ad too, that will help keep it off the site. The more people that flag it, the better. For that matter, if you feel comfortable, just post the link here and we can flag it for you. It will be removed after people keep reporting it. I would not lower yourself to contact these people at all or to post your own ad.
JoseyJo 11:08 AM 10-23-2013
Maybe post a response back? Depending on what they say you could *very professionally)* respond. Like saying that every daycare is not the best fit for every child. At XXXX (your daycare) you choose to have a television program because _____, you believe nap and a good sleep routine at night is important because____, etc etc (responding to their complaints about you by saying what you do and why). It is important that every family finds the best child care situation for their parenting style and personality, and you understand that what you offer was not the best fit for this family but it is for many others!
JoseyJo 11:09 AM 10-23-2013
Originally Posted by cheerfuldom:
Since you have 25 years of good reputation, I wouldnt worry at all about this. Flag the ad. If you have a trusted person that will help you flag the ad too, that will help keep it off the site. The more people that flag it, the better. For that matter, if you feel comfortable, just post the link here and we can flag it for you. It will be removed after people keep reporting it. I would not lower yourself to contact these people at all or to post your own ad.
This is much better than my solution! I will flag it for you
Brustkt 11:15 AM 10-23-2013
I will flag it!
permanentvacation 11:24 AM 10-23-2013
1. That I am a horrible daycare, (I think the family is just upset that I gave them notice. The dad was in the process of dropping the child off at my daycare when I gave them notice. If they really thought that my daycare was horrible, I don't think that they would have been trying to drop their child off that morning.)

2. don't let the kids play, - (So I placed a daycare ad on craigslist with pictures of my past and current daycare kids playing! I have worked in 3 centers and kept getting in trouble for sitting with the children and playing games/doing activities with them. For example, playing color and shape bingo, having the children count snowmen and put the correct amount of snowmen in the cup that has that number labeled on the outside of it, asking the kids if they want to learn to write their letters, when they all said yes, having them sit on the carpet in front of the chalkboard and take turns writing the letters and drawing pictures to coincide with the letter. I quit my center jobs because I wanted to work with the kids and do activities with them. At my home daycare, we do ALOT of hands on age appropriate activities. They also have plenty of free play time)

3. complain if the kids don't sleep long enough for me to do my college school work,(I do my schoolwork after 9pm and over the weekend!)

4. have the kids sit at the table all day, ( He called every day to let me know he was on his was to pick his child up. The first couple of times, he would ask me to get his son ready to leave because he was running late to get his other son from elementary school. He picked his child up right around snack time. Often, the children were still eating snack when he arrived. After he leaves here, he has to pick up his other son at elementary school, so if the kids had finished eating snack early and began playing, I would clean up and have him ready to walk out the door so he wasn't late to get his other son.)

5. I only had one other boy before his child, now have one girl,and there's a reason that I don't have many kids. (A couple of months ago, I had to close my daycare because I had hand surgery. I had a cyst on my finger that was growing towards my hand and my doctor insisted that I have the cyst removed before it got into my hand. I had 7 children in my daycare when I had to close to have surgery. So, I am just now opening my daycare back up after having surgery - which is why I don't have many kids!)
Play Care 11:31 AM 10-23-2013
I agree with those who say flag the ad, but please, do NOT respond in any way, shape or form to their badmouthing on a public forum. Even if you start out trying to be professional, it could quickly escalate into something you don't want

Continue doing what you are doing - offering quality child care and having your current/former clients sing your praises. It may stink, but be the bigger person.
Blackcat31 11:32 AM 10-23-2013
Originally Posted by permanentvacation:
1. That I am a horrible daycare, (I think the family is just upset that I gave them notice. The dad was in the process of dropping the child off at my daycare when I gave them notice. If they really thought that my daycare was horrible, I don't think that they would have been trying to drop their child off that morning.)

2. don't let the kids play, - (So I placed a daycare ad on craigslist with pictures of my past and current daycare kids playing! I have worked in 3 centers and kept getting in trouble for sitting with the children and playing games/doing activities with them. For example, playing color and shape bingo, having the children count snowmen and put the correct amount of snowmen in the cup that has that number labeled on the outside of it, asking the kids if they want to learn to write their letters, when they all said yes, having them sit on the carpet in front of the chalkboard and take turns writing the letters and drawing pictures to coincide with the letter. I quit my center jobs because I wanted to work with the kids and do activities with them. At my home daycare, we do ALOT of hands on age appropriate activities. They also have plenty of free play time)

3. complain if the kids don't sleep long enough for me to do my college school work,(I do my schoolwork after 9pm and over the weekend!)

4. have the kids sit at the table all day, ( He called every day to let me know he was on his was to pick his child up. The first couple of times, he would ask me to get his son ready to leave because he was running late to get his other son from elementary school. He picked his child up right around snack time. Often, the children were still eating snack when he arrived. After he leaves here, he has to pick up his other son at elementary school, so if the kids had finished eating snack early and began playing, I would clean up and have him ready to walk out the door so he wasn't late to get his other son.)

5. I only had one other boy before his child, now have one girl,and there's a reason that I don't have many kids. (A couple of months ago, I had to close my daycare because I had hand surgery. I had a cyst on my finger that was growing towards my hand and my doctor insisted that I have the cyst removed before it got into my hand. I had 7 children in my daycare when I had to close to have surgery. So, I am just now opening my daycare back up after having surgery - which is why I don't have many kids!)
((hugs)) for having to deal with this.

Sadly, this is a common event when clients get told no. ANYTIME clients don't get their way, it seems they will badmouth the provider.

Other than taking legal action and demanding that they stop badmouthing you, there isn't a lot you can do as people are free to voice their opinions.

On the up side though when people gossip about you, they are saying far more about their own integrity than they are about you...kwim?

I would hold my head up high, continue advertising and continue doing the best job you can. Be proud of who and what you are and never mind the naysayers...

I am sure you have a ton of references that are MORE than happy to defend you!

These parents are going to continue experiencing the same cycle over and over because they are refusing to take any responsibility in this. There is plenty they could have changed and didn't so instead they take the cheap way and just blame the provider....

Hang in there...

and welcome back to the daycare world!
CedarCreek 11:33 AM 10-23-2013
Keep flagging the ad and in the mean time, type up a Cease and Desist letter and mail it to them. In it, make sure you quote their craigslist posts (print out the page and send a copy if you want) and demand that they stop badmouthing your daycare or face the legal consequences of slander.
Heidi 11:34 AM 10-23-2013
I just found it and flagged it.
permanentvacation 11:35 AM 10-23-2013
Thanks for the advice and help.

The family is writing on the Baltimore Craigslist website and their ad says, "Re: Happy Faces Daycare"

I have flagged it and they just keep reposting it.

I know that since I've been in business for 25 years, I shouldn't worry about this, but I am just so concerned mainly because I had to close for a couple of months for surgery. I am just now re-opening. I am a single mother and especially after having to close for a couple of months for surgery, I really can not afford anyone trying to get people to not hire me.

Because of the family's post, I lowered my rates to unbelievable prices just to try to get kids in here to get some income to make up for the time I lost due to surgery.
butterfly 11:39 AM 10-23-2013
I flagged it too!
permanentvacation 11:42 AM 10-23-2013
Thank you all! I am not going to say anything specific on Craigslist about or to this family. However, I did start posting ads titled "Children love playing at Happy Faces Daycare" and then posting 12 pictures of my previous and current daycare kids playing.

This might turn out to be a good thing for me. I actually have 3 interviews scheduled now since I placed that ad!
hope 11:46 AM 10-23-2013
Originally Posted by CedarCreek:
Keep flagging the ad and in the mean time, type up a Cease and Desist letter and mail it to them. In it, make sure you quote their craigslist posts (print out the page and send a copy if you want) and demand that they stop badmouthing your daycare or face the legal consequences of slander.
I had a family that was termed bad mouth me on craigslist. I flagged each and every post that was put up. I want to warn you that someone who is crazy enough to post something bad about you for revenge does not stop after being flagged once. The family I dealt with posted multiple times a day for months. It seems as though they were not logging in to post or changing email accounts bc no matter how many times I flagged they kept posting. They also flagged my ads on craigslist which made it impossible for me to advertise. They also flagged me on care.com. unfortunately all I could do was continue to flag them and repost my ads often. Eventually they lost interest.
I'm sorry you are going through this.
melilley 11:49 AM 10-23-2013
I flagged it too...ha!
permanentvacation 11:50 AM 10-23-2013
Hope,

Wow! That's just crazy! Sorry that you went through that. I have already thought about placing ads in the local papers and the Pennysaver so no one can flag the ad or badmouth me right where I'm advertising.
nanglgrl 11:50 AM 10-23-2013
I flagged it for you!
nanglgrl 11:52 AM 10-23-2013
Here's the link to flag the ad: http://baltimore.craigslist.org/kid/4146686936.html
permanentvacation 11:54 AM 10-23-2013
Heidi, Butterfly, melilly, Brustkt, and everyone else that is flagging their ad, Thank you!!

CedarCreek, there's nothing I can do legally. They have freedom of speech on their side.
butterfly 11:55 AM 10-23-2013
Originally Posted by nanglgrl:
Here's the link to flag the ad: http://baltimore.craigslist.org/kid/4146686936.html
Yep and they have posted several others too that I also flagged. I just searched by Happy Faces daycare.
permanentvacation 11:56 AM 10-23-2013
nanglgrl,

Yes, that's their ad. Thank you. I don't know how to put the website link on here.
permanentvacation 11:58 AM 10-23-2013
Butterfly,

Thank you!
KDC 11:59 AM 10-23-2013
I flagged it as well Good luck and sorry you're going through this.
Blackcat31 12:00 PM 10-23-2013
Heidi, Butterfly, melilly, Brustkt, and everyone else that is flagging their ad, Thank you!!

CedarCreek, there's nothing I can do legally. They have freedom of speech on their side.
Not necessarily.... you CAN contact an attorney and have them draft a cease and desist letter because although there is a freedom of speech law, there is also a law stating you can't slander a business or person with FALSE accusations. How does this woman KNOW what you do all day? How does she KNOW you sit kids at the table all day or that you don't have kids in care because of your "bad" daycare...kwim?

EVERYTHING she is saying is slanderous and can cause you to lose business so you DO have a right to legally ask her to stop.

I flagged the post too...there were 3. I flagged them all.

She posted on October 17, 18 and 23rd
williams2008 12:00 PM 10-23-2013
I'm sorry you are having to deal with this. I flagged as well. Good luck!!
CedarCreek 12:03 PM 10-23-2013
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
Not necessarily.... you CAN contact an attorney and have them draft a cease and desist letter because although there is a freedom of speech law, there is also a law stating you can't slander a business or person with FALSE accusations. How does this woman KNOW what you do all day? How does she KNOW you sit kids at the table all day or that you don't have kids in care because of your "bad" daycare...kwim?

EVERYTHING she is saying is slanderous and can cause you to lose business so you DO have a right to legally ask her to stop.

I flagged the post too...there were 3. I flagged them all.

She posted on October 17, 18 and 23rd

permanentvacation 12:04 PM 10-23-2013
I did talk with my lawyer. The slander law is only if someone makes up lies saying that you committed a criminal act. They can complain about anyone all they want as long as they don't falsely claim that that person committed a criminal act.
Shell 12:05 PM 10-23-2013
I just flagged the ad,too. Really tempted to respond to their ad, but I will stay out of this one. Keep us posted so we can keep flagging!
Blackcat31 12:05 PM 10-23-2013
I did talk with my lawyer. The slander law is only if someone makes up lies saying that you committed a criminal act. They can complain about anyone all they want as long as they don't falsely claim that that person committed a criminal act.
Defamation of character only requires that you can show proof that someone made a false claim about you.

That seems to be a better fit than slander.... maybe go that route instead.
permanentvacation 12:06 PM 10-23-2013
Thank you all!! I have to get off of here now, naptime is over.

Thank you! I really appreciate your comfort, advice, and help.
harperluu 12:21 PM 10-23-2013
This would actually be considered libel, as the false statement is published. Also, I believe it falls under your state's tort laws. Screen shot or print each of these ads in case you need them down the road.
Willow 01:11 PM 10-23-2013
I responded.....had a blast doing so
TheGoodLife 01:23 PM 10-23-2013
flagged!
Laurel 01:27 PM 10-23-2013
Originally Posted by nanglgrl:
Thanks for the link. I flagged it too.
grateday 01:52 PM 10-23-2013
Defamation of character only requires that you can show proof that someone made a false claim about you.

That seems to be a better fit than slander.... maybe go that route instead.
Who is your lawyer? Just in case i need one
Blackcat31 02:09 PM 10-23-2013
Originally Posted by grateday:
Who is your lawyer? Just in case i need one
I don't have one on retainer.

Just two years of law in college in my previous life before daycare.
(I wanted to be a research attorney NOT a daycare provider but funny how life takes you where it wants and not always where you want to go.... )

I do have a fantastic one that I use from time to time when necessary.

If you are interested in his info, just PM me and I will give you his contact info.
Unregistered 02:10 PM 10-23-2013
Originally Posted by Willow:
I responded.....had a blast doing so
Did you email the parent from the ad?
cheerfuldom 02:15 PM 10-23-2013
I flagged all three!

I am glad you have interviews coming up! I would work on getting new pics too once you get some kids going. I don't normally post pics of the kids faces in my ads but perhaps you get a media release from the parents? I was curious about those dogs in the pictures though. Do you not have a lot of concern about the dogs pictured in the daycare area? It seems like every interview I have, the parents ask what pets are at my home and if they are around the kids. Perhaps it is just my area but it seems like it is a big concern for parents around here. I mention it because it may be turning off some parents from your ad. but I like that you provide a lot of info upfront in your ad!
Josiegirl 02:21 PM 10-23-2013
I'm a CL novice. To flag, do you click prohibited? If I click flag, it just tells me how to flag by clicking the flag in the upper right corner of the post, but I can't see it?
LaLa1923 02:26 PM 10-23-2013
Butterfly,

Thank you!

If you need a lawyer please contact me. I have one on retainer and she's very close to your location and is very affordable.

I have to say, I called a lot of providers in your area because that's where my mom lives. I'm looking for a new provider for my nephew. Every provider I called told me they had no infant openings. However, they also said not to call you. Not one provider in your area recommended you. I have a feeling it's because your rates are so low. About half of what everyone else charges.....
You can obviously do what you want since it's your business, but wouldn't it be better to make friends instead of enemies?? I have several providers I work with and we all work together. That's one reason why I'm full right now. KWIM???
On another note- if you do happen to have any infant openings I'd like to know. I would never pay half of what your worth.
Blackcat31 02:30 PM 10-23-2013
Originally Posted by LaLa1923:
If you need a lawyer please contact me. I have one on retainer and she's very close to your location and is very affordable.

I have to say, I called a lot of providers in your area because that's where my mom lives. I'm looking for a new provider for my nephew. Every provider I called told me they had no infant openings. However, they also said not to call you. Not one provider in your area recommended you. I have a feeling it's because your rates are so low. About half of what everyone else charges.....
You can obviously do what you want since it's your business, but wouldn't it be better to make friends instead of enemies?? I have several providers I work with and we all work together. That's one reason why I'm full right now. KWIM???
On another note- if you do happen to have any infant openings I'd like to know. I would never pay half of what your worth.
I am wondering how the OP's name was brought up?

When I receive interested callers, I just answer their questions...nothing more.

I certainly wouldn't recommend another provider and I would never bring up another providers name so I am curious as to why all these gals would go so far as to say not to use the OP's daycare or to not call her.

There seems to be more to the story if all the providers in the area are talking about her.....kwim?
countrymom 02:34 PM 10-23-2013
I flagged it too.
countrymom 02:36 PM 10-23-2013
I would like to send a reply and ask the parent, that if it was so bad then why did they keep their kid their for a month.
MamaBear 02:50 PM 10-23-2013
I flagged them too... 3 showed up when I just looked. I'm sorry they are doing that to you. That is so mean of them.
LaLa1923 02:53 PM 10-23-2013

When I receive interested callers, I just answer their questions...nothing more.

I certainly wouldn't recommend another provider and I would never bring up another providers name so I am curious as to why all these gals would go so far as to say not to use the OP's daycare or to not call her.

There seems to be more to the story if all the providers in the area are talking about her.....kwim?

I asked if they could recommend any providers in their area that may have infant openings.

I'm confused about the bold part.??
cheerfuldom 02:58 PM 10-23-2013
I asked if they could recommend any providers in their area that may have infant openings.

I am guessing they just don't know the OP. There is over 600,000 people in Baltimore. I also am VERY careful when recommending a provider. I know probably 30 in my area but I would only feel comfortable recommending two. There are many others that seem like wonderful people, I just am so cautious about recommending.
LaLa1923 02:59 PM 10-23-2013

Why? Why not help each other out?? At the very least you could offer to take their info and pass it on to anyone who may be able to help them...
Blackcat31 03:18 PM 10-23-2013

My bolded statement was simply that just my opinion that if ONE family was unhappy with her but yet a group of other providers are refraining from recommending her, it just seems odd...

I don't know.....

I imagine bad things are said about daycare providers by disgruntled parents ever day but not so much that all the other providers are talking about it...kwim?

Also most providers are inclined to stick up for a fellow provider and not just refuse to recommend them.

I hope that made sense...

Why? Why not help each other out?? At the very least you could offer to take their info and pass it on to anyone who may be able to help them...
Oh, don't get me wrong. I will happily work with a fellow provider. I am a child care provider mentor for new providers in my area so I am all about helping each other out.

I don't recommend anyone in particular because the relationship between provider and parent is a personal one. If I know someone has openings and is actively looking, I would pass on their info but I don't give "recommendations" as in saying someone is great or the best...kwim? It's not my place to say.

Plus if things went downhill between that provider and the parent, I don't want it to come back as "Well...Blackcat said they were great so I should go there and now this.." kind of scenario to happen.

So sharing available vacancies or phone numbers....sure! But not personal recommendations.
Willow 05:14 PM 10-23-2013
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
Did you email the parent from the ad?
Yes. No response yet but I wasnt really expecting one
craftymissbeth 05:25 PM 10-23-2013

Just curious... did you ask those providers if they specifically recommend OP or just if there is anyone they will recommend? As in "would you recommend Happy Face's Daycare?". There's a huge difference between the two.
Childminder 05:53 PM 10-23-2013
OP, don't be surprised if licensing or CPS shows up at your door. Often times parents will call them and complain and they are required to inspect you by law. Not trying to worry you but want you to be prepared. Get all your ducks in a row.
cheerfuldom 05:54 PM 10-23-2013
Yes. No response yet but I wasnt really expecting one
what did I miss? what did you say in your email????
LaLa1923 06:08 PM 10-23-2013
Originally Posted by craftymissbeth:
Just curious... did you ask those providers if they specifically recommend OP or just if there is anyone they will recommend? As in "would you recommend Happy Face's Daycare?". There's a huge difference between the two.
I answered this above.

I asked them if they would recommend any providers in the area, or if they knew of any providers with openings.
Some gave me names and numbers, others said no. But almost all of them said stay away from Happy Faces Daycare.
craftymissbeth 06:24 PM 10-23-2013
I answered this above.

I asked them if they would recommend any providers in the area, or if they knew of any providers with openings.
Some gave me names and numbers, others said no. But almost all of them said stay away from Happy Faces Daycare.
Wow that's crazy that they felt strongly enough to say to specifically stay away from the OP without her name even being brought up. I wonder what the whole story is with OP

Not that there is anything wrong with her, but for that ^ to happen there's got to be a reason ya know.
LaLa1923 06:42 PM 10-23-2013
Originally Posted by craftymissbeth:
Wow that's crazy that they felt strongly enough to say to specifically stay away from the OP without her name even being brought up. I wonder what the whole story is with OP

Not that there is anything wrong with her, but for that ^ to happen there's got to be a reason ya know.
I think it's because she's severely undercutting other providers with her rates....

The average rate per week in her area is anywhere from $125-$150 for toddlers, and $150-$180 for infants. Her rate is $50 a week all ages!!!
daycare 06:54 PM 10-23-2013
I think it's because she's severely undercutting other providers with her rates....

The average rate per week in her area is anywhere from $125-$150 for toddlers, and $150-$180 for infants. Her rate is $50 a week all ages!!!
$50 a week........ My food and insurance cost more than that.....
JoseyJo 06:56 PM 10-23-2013

If she is only watching a max of 7 children in a city of 600,000 it's hard to believe other providers are that upset at her for offering 1/2 rate. How much of a difference could that make? And if they don't have infant openings anyway what do they care if another provider gets those kids??

Somethingseems fishy here...
Willow 06:58 PM 10-23-2013
Originally Posted by cheerfuldom:
what did I miss? what did you say in your email????
I just basically asked which came first, the chicken (provider terminating) or the egg (parent thinking provider was awful enough to invest time into badmouthing her multiple times).

I put my two cents in about badmouthing someone you were willing to leave your child with, as well as about excessive television watching.

It was a hodgepodge based on the half story we have here, but I felt compelled based on the track record of the provider. Not many can make it that long if they are genuinely as awful as whats being described. That parent chose the vent on an internet site over contacting licensing (safe to assume because they haven't paid her a visit thus far) says to me anyway that they are pissed off at being termed and there was never any honest concern on their part.
Willow 07:03 PM 10-23-2013

I'm not sure where you're getting that number, it's certainly not what she's advertising as her current rates.....
LaLa1923 07:06 PM 10-23-2013
I'm not sure where you're getting that number, it's certainly not what she's advertising as her current rates.....
http://baltimore.craigslist.org/kid/4133040561.html

http://baltimore.craigslist.org/kid/4136148642.html

It changes
daycare 07:25 PM 10-23-2013
that looks like its only a promotion rate for the first two weeks
JoseyJo 07:26 PM 10-23-2013
This is just a starting special- she says in the ad it goes up to $80-120 based on age after that...
daycare 07:29 PM 10-23-2013
Originally Posted by JoseyJo:
This is just a starting special- she says in the ad it goes up to $80-120 based on age after that...
she does say that it goes up to $120, but is that for an infant too? Lala said infant rate is about $180, which is still a big difference of about $240.00 a month
permanentvacation 07:42 PM 10-23-2013
What I like is how people talk about someone without even knowing them or their situation. I had to close for a few months because of hand surgery. Well, technically, I had one daycare child during that time. One of my parents demanded that I keep her child because her family and the little girl love me so much as a provider that she refused to take her child to another provider even though I told her over and over that I really need to close. But I had been her provider from the time she was 18 months old til then (she was 5 years old) and they honestly refused to let me stop watching her! So other than that one child, I was closed - I didn't take on any new kids, didn't advertise, anything for 4 months. I am now re-opening and am lowering my rates because ANY income is better than no income and I have to make up being unemployed for the past 4 months due to surgery --- Oh yeah, I'm a single mother and the surgery was unexpected - I didn't financially plan to close for 4 months. So yes, I have lowered my rates to get some - any income at all right now.

Yes, many of the other providers are mad at me for my rates. I have actually had calls from other providers who call me just to tell me off about my rates. Of course, I always defend my right to charge whatever I feel like charging. So that just makes them madder. I have lived through a few different situations and can see things from many different aspects. I have lived financially very comfortably and lived when I didn't know how I would pay for gasoline to get to work. I have charged $180/week and charged $40/week for child care. I have watched children for completely free at times. I have been friends with doctors and friends with homeless people. None of the daycare providers who have a problem with me have ever even tried to get to know me at all. They just get mad at me for charging less than the average rate. I have worked at a local daycare center and learned that 1/3 of their parents hadn't paid their child's tuition in 2 months because of financial difficulties. When I quote people the average rate and am told time after time that they simply can't afford that rate, I lower the rate until parents start saying that they can afford the rate. I just think that makes sense. If I say my rate is $150/week, and everyone says they can 't pay that and hang up, of course I'm going to start saying, "well, how about $125, or $100?" Or I'll ask where the parents work to get an idea of what their income is and then offer a rate that I think I might be able to pay if I only made $8.00/hour! Really, if you are a single mother of a 2 year old and work a retail job at $8.00/hour, how much do you think you could afford to pay a daycare? You have rent, car payment, car insurance, gasoline, groceries, etc. So, yes, my rates have been lower than the average rate. However, that just allows for a variety of people with a variety of income levels the ability to find a daycare in their price range.

I do a lot with my daycare children. I have worked in 3 different daycare centers and I do more with my children at my home daycare than any of those 3 centers did.

Outside of daycare, I have done things for others that many would not do and would not understand why/how I do/have done what I have done. I used to leave my house door unlocked all day and evening from the time I woke up til the time I went to bed and allowed any of the neighborhood kids to come and go as they needed to eat, relax, hang out, whatever they needed to do. Everyday, I would make large amounts of spaghetti and macaroni and cheese, (mainly inexpensive foods that filled you up quickly), I also bought a Nintendo game set with games and set up a hang out room for the local kids (these are kids that my child had become friends with - not just random strangers) but in my neighborhood, there was a lot of drug activity and I learned that many of the local kids' parents were drug dealers, many of the kids were afraid to be at their own house, many of them didn't have any food at all at home. So I - as a broke single mother - gave the local kids a positive, safe, food-filled home that they could hang out in.

Do you know that all the neighbors talked about me and gossiped all sorts of things that they thought up in their little minds about my house? Now, with my daycare, since I am charging low rates, the daycare providers are doing the same thing. So, maybe instead of talking trash about someone, you should get to know them and learn why they are doing what seems confusing to you instead of just getting mad, passing judgment, and gossiping about them.
Unregistered 07:43 PM 10-23-2013
Happy Faces Daycare had 12 violations in June.
JoseyJo 07:44 PM 10-23-2013
Originally Posted by daycare:
she does say that it goes up to $120, but is that for an infant too? Lala said infant rate is about $180, which is still a big difference of about $240.00 a month
That's true- I'm sure the 120 would be for infants and that is much to low for the area.

OP- My suggestions:

Raise your price to AT LEAST the norm for your area and be proud of your program!

I definitely wouldn't offer to refund parents for a month of care if they aren't satisfied w/ you. The only thing I can see that doing is scaring parents off or only getting people who want a free month of care and then moving on...

Take some new brightly lit pictures showcasing the best you have to offer. CL allows 12 now so I usually post at least 1 doing art/craft, 1 doing preschool, 1 outside playing, one field trip, one free play. Post your best pics only! Every pic should showcase the very best you have to offer.

On your ad: I would only include the following:

Licensed daycare has openings for children ages 1 - 4 years old

Competitive weekly rates include:
All Meals and Snacks
Diapers, Pull-Ups, Wipes
Potty Training
Hands-On Preschool Educational Program

We offer:
Entire Main Floor of Townhouse dedicated to Childcare
Fenced Yard
Non-Smoking Home

Sherri, Owner/Operator of Happy Faces Daycare
Licensed for 25 Years
CPR/1st Aid/SIDS/AED Certified
Certified Infants and Toddlers Teacher
Certified Preschool Teacher
Working Towards Earning my Degree in Early Childhood Education

LaLa1923 07:46 PM 10-23-2013
that looks like its only a promotion rate for the first two weeks
Correct. $120 is what she's charging and the regular rate is $150-$180.

She did have an ad up that said $50 a week for care, nothing about a special. I know bc I'm looking for someone in her area for my nephew. Otherwise, I will have to keep him.

Anyway, I really don't want to go tit for tat. I'm not trying to me mean. I'm only offering this as a possible reason some providers I spoke to said what they said.
It doesn't matter what her current rate or special is now. The point is, it's much lower than the going rate.
permanentvacation 08:01 PM 10-23-2013
I have been in business for 25 years. Of those 25 years, I had ONE bad inspection. The one mentioned above -- which is when the inspector came here the day after my 2 teenagers came home from a week in Ocean City and I was preparing to have surgery. It was during a couple of days before my surgery. My personal kids dropped all their stuff from Ocean City and went to bed. I left it all for them to clean up and during that time, the inspector showed up. However, all of their stuff was in the bathroom and kitchen. So, the area that was currently being used for daycare was perfectly safe and legal. Some of the things that I hadn't done were paperwork items which the inspector repeated herself on the inspection and made one thing seem like 3 by saying something like " provider did not have all forms up to date" and then saying ' one child's emergency card is not up to date' and then saying' code number such and such is not kept up to date" So, for that one thing, ONE emergency card not being updated, it looks like there's 3 different violations.
permanentvacation 08:05 PM 10-23-2013
Yes, the going rate for infants here is around $180. However, we are in MIDDLE RIVER!!! Many people here are single mothers that work at McDonald's or Walmart! Their entire paycheck is about $280/week! How do you expect them to pay almost $200/week for daycare?? Don't be mad at me because I can offer prices that a typical retail employee can afford.
Unregistered 08:12 PM 10-23-2013
I am surprised. This is suppose to be a support/advice group for providers! Instead it has turned into a ambush of 1 provider to see what she has or hasn't done wrong.

As for prices, just because she has lowered the rate doesn't mean that she is a bad provider. Needing money. Yes. Bad provider. No.

OP- my only advice/ suggestion is to change your name. If you can't do that then change your ad. Just as something very simple... Like registered provider has X amount of openings for this age group at affordable rates or something like that. Good luck Hun!
permanentvacation 08:13 PM 10-23-2013
Also, keep in mind that daycare providers are actually competition for each other. Just as Target wouldn't say, "We charge $20/shirt, but you can get a shirt that's just as good as this one at Walmart for only $10." A daycare provider isn't going to say "well, typically the rate is $150, but there is a daycare provider who does the same things with the kids that I do, but she only charges $100".
daycare 08:17 PM 10-23-2013
you sound like you have a really big heart.....it is YOUR Choice how you choose to run your daycare. I love that you are thinking about others and their situation and if you can help them and are ok with it, then that is awesome.

I do think that it is unfair for others to sour your business because YOU don't DO things THEIR way. I love what you are doing. LIke an angle with wings...

I honestly can say that I would not be able to take on a parent that worked minimum wage, I can't afford to take them on. I redirect those people to R&R to see if they can get help with assistance, which I also don't take...

So thank you for having a kind heart

in 25 years, if those are the only violations you have, you are sitting pretty...
LaLa1923 08:18 PM 10-23-2013
I am surprised. This is suppose to be a support/advice group for providers! Instead it has turned into a ambush of 1 provider to see what she has or hasn't done wrong.

As for prices, just because she has lowered the rate doesn't mean that she is a bad provider. Needing money. Yes. Bad provider. No.

OP- my only advice/ suggestion is to change your name. If you can't do that then change your ad. Just as something very simple... Like registered provider has X amount of openings for this age group at affordable rates or something like that. Good luck Hun!
Yes, the going rate for infants here is around $180. However, we are in MIDDLE RIVER!!! Many people here are single mothers that work at McDonald's or Walmart! Their entire paycheck is about $280/week! How do you expect them to pay almost $200/week for daycare?? Don't be mad at me because I can offer prices that a typical retail employee can afford.

I'm not sure what you read, no one said she was bad. In fact I said it's most likely due to her rates. Not that she was bad at all. OP does what works for her. All I'm saying is if we all work together we would have more kids.

OP- I understand! When I worked in your area I worked to pay for dc and my car payment.
daycare 08:20 PM 10-23-2013
huh.......the only time I read the bad anywhere was in your post.....

No one here is trying to be hurtful, please don't make it seem that way...

thanks
permanentvacation 08:20 PM 10-23-2013
Lala,

Just out of curiosity, did you ever call me and speak with me about what I offer and ask me about my rates? Did you even give me a chance and schedule an interview to come over and see for yourself what my daycare is all about?
craftymissbeth 08:21 PM 10-23-2013
I don't think anyone is mad at you. You can charge whatever you want to. It's your business and you call the shots in regards to your rates. I will say that I doubt the issues with the other providers are solely because you charge less. What's it to them?

In your above example of a single mom barely making ends meet.. and how would she afford daycare? Child care subsidy.
Unregistered 08:23 PM 10-23-2013
Here's what you need to do immediately:

1.Remove the picture of the front of your house and I would take the toys out of your front yard.You stated that you don't live in the best of neighborhoods,I certainly wouldn't want my kids playing in the front yard.Clean up your yard.
2.You have posted on Craigslist 26 times in a month.That is beyond excessive and none of your rates match up.When you post a new posting,remove the old ones.It makes you look desperate and inconsistent.
3.Remove the money back guarentee.It seems very shady and desperate.
4.Remove all pictures of your dogs!

I am only telling you this to help you.Please do not be offended.I wouldn't bring my babies to your daycare based on 3 things-1.The sign in front of your house (and toys too).I don't think its very safe when you are not a center.I wouldn't want every stranger that drives down my street to know I am a daycare.2.You stated that you don't lock your door and you live in a bad neighborhood and kids come in and out.That shows very bad judgement on your part.I love that you want to help kids,but that is not safe for your DCKs or your own children.3.The dogs-You just let the dogs roam around the kids?Those are big dogs that shouldn't be mixed in with babies like that.In my state that wouldn't be allowed.

I'm writing you this in love&wanting to help you.Not to criticize you.You can charge whatever you like,just be consistent in your postings and always remove your old postings before putting up a new one.
SilverSabre25 08:23 PM 10-23-2013
I may not be a mod anymore, but I'm still going to say--knock it off. None of you actually seem to KNOW Permanentvacation and you need to leave her alone.
LaLa1923 08:25 PM 10-23-2013
Lala,

Just out of curiosity, did you ever call me and speak with me about what I offer and ask me about my rates? Did you even give me a chance and schedule an interview to come over and see for yourself what my daycare is all about?
To be honest, I was supposed to hear back from two daycare providers near you and they never called back.

Second, my current provider said she would be fine with keeping him. But she just changed her mind today!!

I am working 15 hour days, but yes, I was going to call and see if you were available. I did notice your ad say 1 and up though...
daycare 08:26 PM 10-23-2013
Originally Posted by SilverSabre25:
I may not be a mod anymore, but I'm still going to say--knock it off. None of you actually seem to KNOW Permanentvacation and you need to leave her alone.
Huh what did I miss????

Silver- you are not a mod? huh
LaLa1923 08:28 PM 10-23-2013
What are you seeing that I'm not?? We're all having a conversation/debate. I don't see anyone getting nasty.
sahm1225 08:28 PM 10-23-2013
The violations being listed was from an unregistered user trying to stir the pot.

I understand you offering dates that your families can afford and I commend you for that. BUT I would not offer the satisfaction guarantee (you will be attracting the wrong type of families that will always want special). I agree w pp about tips to improve your ad.

You've been in business for over 25 years. You would think the other providers would understand that you are here to stay. I still find it oddthat a provider would specifically say NOT to go to you....
daycare 08:30 PM 10-23-2013
Originally Posted by sahm1225:
The violations being listed was from an unregistered user trying to stir the pot.

I understand you offering dates that your families can afford and I commend you for that. BUT I would not offer the satisfaction guarantee (you will be attracting the wrong type of families that will always want special). I agree w pp about tips to improve your ad.

You've been in business for over 25 years. You would think the other providers would understand that you are here to stay. I still find it oddthat a provider would specifically say NOT to go to you....
Some people will be caddy and act out of jealousy. One provider tried to call me one time to join in on her bashing another provider and I asked to not call me again. It was so HS.

UGH....gosh, hugs to you for all of this...this just down right SUCKS
craftymissbeth 08:32 PM 10-23-2013
What the???
LaLa1923 08:33 PM 10-23-2013
Originally Posted by sahm1225:

I don't find it odd. I'm from her area. They will alleniate you for having really low rates. I don't think it makes much sense.
cheerfuldom 08:34 PM 10-23-2013
If she is only watching a max of 7 children in a city of 600,000 it's hard to believe other providers are that upset at her for offering 1/2 rate. How much of a difference could that make? And if they don't have infant openings anyway what do they care if another provider gets those kids??

Somethingseems fishy here...
i agree. fishy.

things are getting out of hand. OP, just take what you can and what is helpful in your progress forward and leave the rest. I do agree that your CL ad needs a little lift and I can understand why some providers may be upset at your rates, BUT it is your business to run as you see fit! I do think though that perhaps the inconsistent ads and the pics are not doing your years of experience justice! perhaps rethinking a few things can really generate some calls and then you will be full again. I know your ad had a lot of info but it was almost too much. I would want to highlight the location (general area), rates, contact info and a short summary of the best your care has to offer. If you get too descriptive, you are going to lose some interest from parents that don't want to wade through all the wording. good luck to you! sorry this thread got a little sour.

my last thought is to be careful about undercutting too far under the area average. that will unintentionally send a signal to parents that there is a reason why you are so inexpensive. in our area, super cheap rates almost always mean a new provider with no experience, a bad area of town, or a poor setup that is a turnoff to parents. Sometimes getting rates closer to the average and eliminating the "too good to be true" discounts and deals will actually generate calls!
permanentvacation 08:35 PM 10-23-2013
Lala,

Oh, okay. I just feel that I deserve to at least be given the chance by parents to meet with them and let the parents see for themselves and truly make up their own mind about whether to hire me or not and not just go by the word of others - especially when the 'others' don't even know me.
daycare 08:39 PM 10-23-2013
Lala,

Oh, okay. I just feel that I deserve to at least be given the chance by parents to meet with them and let the parents see for themselves and truly make up their own mind about whether to hire me or not and not just go by the word of others - especially when the 'others' don't even know me.
this is the story of my life....people take one look at me, they judge me and never even get to know me.........I could never do this to someone else, especially when I know how it feels........
LaLa1923 08:39 PM 10-23-2013
Lala,

I feel the same! I've had people change their mind about meeting me after they found out i live in a manufactured home!

Sending u a pm
Unregistered 08:42 PM 10-23-2013
huh.......the only time I read the bad anywhere was in your post.....

No one here is trying to be hurtful, please don't make it seem that way...

thanks

You are correct! I apologize no one said "bad" except for me but with some of the posts I felt like they were saying it without actually saying it. Such as posting the providers previous violations, some of the responses before and after exc. The woman bringing up this conversation in the first place. That could have easily been handled with a private message or kept to themselves instead of posting it. If it were me I would feel like an outsider, on advertising site, parents exc. Then to come here to vent and ask for advice and instead of receiving advice and comfort, She is receiving more criticism and digging up her past.

OP- I'm sorry this turned into this! I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers!
daycare 08:52 PM 10-23-2013
You are correct! I apologize no one said "bad" except for me but with some of the posts I felt like they were saying it without actually saying it. Such as posting the providers previous violations, some of the responses before and after exc. The woman bringing up this conversation in the first place. That could have easily been handled with a private message or kept to themselves instead of posting it. If it were me I would feel like an outsider, on advertising site, parents exc. Then to come here to vent and ask for advice and instead of receiving advice and comfort, She is receiving more criticism and digging up her past.

OP- I'm sorry this turned into this! I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers!
I see what you are saying. I can see how it did not look right.
Thanks for helping point out that we always need to be mindful.

TwinKristi 09:06 PM 10-23-2013
Oye... That got crazy! Personally, I think you need to do some housekeeping on the Craigslist stuff. I agree with the poster above, your current ads are desperate sounding and a little off. I admire your determination to keep doing this work but maybe your methods aren't effective.
I'm not sure what to say about the violations but I will admit that's worrisome to me and would prevent me from using you as a provider if I was a perspective parent. Add to that the other providers in your community turning against you, I would really figure out a way to make some changes here.
I get that you need the money and some money is better than none, at this rate you will have none anyway. In my area if you start charging lower than what you should other providers will be mad as well. It not only diminishes the value of YOUR work, but of the work your industry does. When I started I came up with a price based on what I was being reimbursed through a subsidy program and my neighbor/friend who does DC as well told me I have to raise my prices, that's way too cheap. A) people will wonder why you're so cheap and B) people will think that's what other providers should charge.
And believe me, I had a DCP who worked with me when I couldn't afford her prices and it was a huge help at the time but I later found out I wasn't just getting a cheap rate but I was getting crappy care! And for the record, I have warned people about a provider I know who has been cited multiple times for similar issues as the OP, is a recovering alcoholic who was drinking on the job and neglecting children, got a DUI after that and the only reason she's still licensed is because she found 3 friends to lie for her and write letters of recommendation.
permanentvacation 09:19 PM 10-23-2013
I USED to leave my door unlocked during the day and help the local kids. I was using this as an example to show that people get all sorts of little stories in their minds and talk about you if you do something that is out of the ordinary (have low rates or help local kids) they don't really understand. Helping the local kids was a couple of years ago. They've all grown up now.

I can't use my back yard due to the fence. So I have to have my daycare toys out front. My door stays locked at all times now and I make sure to check before I open the door. My dog will bark (even if he's upstairs) and let me know if a stranger is outside! I put my daycare sign out front after a couple of neighbors who live only a couple of houses down from me said that they had no idea that I do daycare. A lot of people go on walks in my neighborhood. A lot of moms and dads walk their children up and down my street right in front of my house. So I decided to put the sign up so that the neighbors can see that there's daycare right here where they walk every day in hopes that some of them will need daycare.

Oh, someone asked earlier about whether the dogs made it harder for me to get kids. Yes and no. Most parents don't seem to mind and usually say that they have dogs too. I make sure to tell everyone that calls about daycare that I have pets. Actually, the Husky is my daughter's. She lives at college about an hour away. He is only here on occasion when she comes home to visit. Anyway, I tell everyone who calls about the pets. Most people don't seem to mind the pets. Every once in a while someone will say they are allergic to pets or are afraid of dogs or simply don't want pets around their children. And that's okay. Not every household/daycare setting is a good fit for every family. This is a family daycare, and many families have pets. My pets have been around daycare kids their entire lives and I have never had any problems. I do put my dog in his room a good bit throughout the day just so it's not so much going on in the daycare room, but I don't feel that I should have to leave him a bedroom all day, so he comes on the main floor (in the daycare area) periodically. When my daughter's dog is here, we only allow one dog in the daycare area at a time simply because they are both just over a year old (still puppies basically) and they like to romp and play with each other which of course would be too much to have going on in a daycare room.

Remember, I was basically out of work for 4 months because of surgery. I have to make up for that loss of income. From my last ad, I have one new child (been here a week), had an interview last night, 2 interviews tonight and one interview scheduled for tomorrow night. One from tonight hired me right away. The other from tonight likes me but needs to discuss things with the ex who wasn't on the interview. However, she believes that she will be hiring me tomorrow. The one from last night has a child who is older and is basically waiting for me to get someone closer to their child's age here so their child will have someone their age to play with.

So, hopefully I will be full soon! Once I have 6 daycare kids, I will be okay and not be advertising so much.
Familycare71 09:25 PM 10-23-2013
Lala,

In lala defense in her original post to you after offering some basic suggestions she stated for you to let her know if you had openings and that she would make sure you were paid what your worth! If she was trying to bash you I'm pretty sure she wouldn't have opened that door...
Also- I would want a heads up if other providers in my area were badmouthing me!
My opinion: take down all of your ads but one. Remove the ad with the capital PLAY in the tittle. And I agree be constant with your cost and remove the refund-
I totally caught the one violation turning into more theme in the link. Keep your head up- I got a dangerous substance because my DH left cold meds on the bathroom sink on a floor my dck weren't using but was on my floor plan- it happens.
I flagged the post and Ill continue to flag -
Familycare71 09:30 PM 10-23-2013
I USED to leave my door unlocked during the day and help the local kids. I was using this as an example to show that people get all sorts of little stories in their minds and talk about you if you do something that is out of the ordinary (have low rates or help local kids) they don't really understand. Helping the local kids was a couple of years ago. They've all grown up now.

I can't use my back yard due to the fence. So I have to have my daycare toys out front. My door stays locked at all times now and I make sure to check before I open the door. My dog will bark (even if he's upstairs) and let me know if a stranger is outside! I put my daycare sign out front after a couple of neighbors who live only a couple of houses down from me said that they had no idea that I do daycare. A lot of people go on walks in my neighborhood. A lot of moms and dads walk their children up and down my street right in front of my house. So I decided to put the sign up so that the neighbors can see that there's daycare right here where they walk every day in hopes that some of them will need daycare.

Oh, someone asked earlier about whether the dogs made it harder for me to get kids. Yes and no. Most parents don't seem to mind and usually say that they have dogs too. I make sure to tell everyone that calls about daycare that I have pets. Actually, the Husky is my daughter's. She lives at college about an hour away. He is only here on occasion when she comes home to visit. Anyway, I tell everyone who calls about the pets. Most people don't seem to mind the pets. Every once in a while someone will say they are allergic to pets or are afraid of dogs or simply don't want pets around their children. And that's okay. Not every household/daycare setting is a good fit for every family. This is a family daycare, and many families have pets. My pets have been around daycare kids their entire lives and I have never had any problems. I do put my dog in his room a good bit throughout the day just so it's not so much going on in the daycare room, but I don't feel that I should have to leave him a bedroom all day, so he comes on the main floor (in the daycare area) periodically. When my daughter's dog is here, we only allow one dog in the daycare area at a time simply because they are both just over a year old (still puppies basically) and they like to romp and play with each other which of course would be too much to have going on in a daycare room.

Remember, I was basically out of work for 4 months because of surgery. I have to make up for that loss of income. From my last ad, I have one new child (been here a week), had an interview last night, 2 interviews tonight and one interview scheduled for tomorrow night. One from tonight hired me right away. The other from tonight likes me but needs to discuss things with the ex who wasn't on the interview. However, she believes that she will be hiring me tomorrow. The one from last night has a child who is older and is basically waiting for me to get someone closer to their child's age here so their child will have someone their age to play with.

So, hopefully I will be full soon! Once I have 6 daycare kids, I will be okay and not be advertising so much.
congrats on the great interviews!
permanentvacation 09:55 PM 10-23-2013
Lala,

I sent you an e-mail.
Tags:complaint - false
1 2 
Reply Up