Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>No one Is Getting New Kids Lately - Any Advertising Ideas?
permanentvacation 01:20 PM 07-05-2011
I have been doing licensed home daycare for about 20 years. I know there are times when we go through slumps of not getting new kids. However, in this economy, a lot of moms are unemployed and have began offering unlicensed care - in my state it is illegal to babysit in your home on a consistant basis, but a lot of people are doing it. So, we already have plenty of licensed daycare providers, plenty of centers, and now lots of babysitters. A good handful of licensed providers have given up after a period of having only 1-3 kids (we are allowed 8) and closed their daycare to go back to work out of the home. I refuse to shut down! I love my job and know that I want to do this for the rest of my life. However, I, like everyone in my area am having trouble getting new kids. Do any of you have any advertising ideas that might help me? I have been licensed for 20 years, am open from 6am-6pm - I am licensed til midnight and for 7 days/wk however I don't get response to my evening/weekend ads at all, provide all meals and snacks, provided a preschool educational program, am a certified infants and toddlers teacher, certified preschool teacher, am qualified to be a director of a center, am CPR/1st Aid/SIDS certified, and have numerous written references from previous and current parents.

So I think I offer a good program, I just can't get calls lately. None of us are really - I have a couple of friends in the business and none of us are really getting calls. I know there has to be parents needing childcare - we just aren't attracting them to our businesses for some reason.

My friends and I have tried Craigslist, the local newspapers, handing out business cards, and we can't even get a full 8 kids. So, I thought maybe someone could give me/us more creative ways of advertising or ideas of something to offer that might attract clients.

Thanks!
Cat Herder 01:28 PM 07-05-2011
I have been getting alot of part time and split shift requests.

I can't accommodate those, though. It is just too hard on my family.

I have also turned away many newborns lately...with 2-3 siblings.

I also cannot accommodate that. Too many eggs in one basket financially for me.

That seems to be who is looking the most in my area.

Tough market.
Michael 01:33 PM 07-05-2011
Reach 100 posts in our forum and you get a free listing in our Daycare.com Registry.
SilverSabre25 01:34 PM 07-05-2011
Infants are the big market in my area right now, too.
sharlan 01:34 PM 07-05-2011
My area is over saturated with home daycares. I got my license last August and just had my first real interview. I've had a few lookie lous wanting prices, but i think they were other providers. I have to be honest though, I didn't advertise for over 6 mos because I needed to help my mom out.

I'm listed with the local referal program. I've been advertising on Craigslist, the local throwaway paper, and in the Penneysaver. I just placed an ad on a local restaurant's menu. It was less than $300 for the year. If I get 1 child from that ad, I'll recoup my fee in 2 weeks time.

I'm pretty sure that the family I interviewed last week got my name from here. The child will be 1/2 hr a morning before school, 4 days a week.

My neighbor across the street picked up 2 families, but they catered to a specific culture (Mandarin).
permanentvacation 01:42 PM 07-05-2011
Michael, I'm on post #22 - I might have to be on here all day and night - but I'm gonna work my way to 100 posts!
MamaBear 01:48 PM 07-05-2011
I had a real dry period here too (Southern Ca). But a couple weeks ago I had this huge burst of phone calls. The only problem is they were pretty much ALL infants or pregnant. I was able to get a couple kids out of it, but now I am hoping for more toddler interest or just have to wait out till these babies are older! haha

This is where I advertise:

The only site that actually gets bites is Craigslist or if someone randomly finds my website on Google. I hope this economy shapes up pretty soon! A lot of moms are staying home with their little ones these days. Good for the kids, but not so good for our biz!
MamaBear 01:50 PM 07-05-2011
Hey Michael - I've gone over 100 posts... how do I advertise on daycare.com?
Michael 02:09 PM 07-05-2011
Originally Posted by MamaBear:
Hey Michael - I've gone over 100 posts... how do I advertise on daycare.com?
PM me this info:

Company/Business Name:
User Name:
Street Address:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Phone:
Email Address:
Hours of Operation:
Capacity:
Center Based: