Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Nutrition Issues
Registered-logged out 08:12 PM 07-22-2011
I logged out because this situation is totally indicative of my center and privacy issues...My director and I did not agree on this, and I was dying to jump on here at work and get some opinions on this.

We have a one-year-old who is allergic to milk products, used soy formula. His mother uses WIC. There was some problem with her not being able to get WIC vouchers for soy now. The mom didn't communicate this to the teacher.

She dropped him off this morning with no milk bottles, only water and jar food (yes, still eating jar food). She gave instructions to the teacher not to use his back-up formula, to only feed him the jar food and water. Around 11, kid starts crying for a bottle. He'd eaten some of his food, but wouldn't take the water and wanted his bottle that he usually gets right before his morning nap. The way we understood at first, was that his mom felt he is now allergic to his regular formula and didn't want it given to him.

My opinion was that she could not suddenly take him off of formula and not provide a substitute. Jar or even table food is not a substitute for milk at a year old. A one-year-old's diet is still about half milk, right? And we as his caregivers could not follow instructions like that without a doctor's backing. Especially because the child was hungry and needing a bottle.

My director felt that the child's diet is totally the parent's prerogative. And we did not have the right to demand a doctor's note.

When we found out that it was simply because she didn't get her WIC, I felt she should've bought the soy milk out of her own pocket! And if she did not want milk given to him, she needed to come and pick him up becaus he was hungrye

Director said just try and give him as much of his food as he would take ...to "try and feed him all day"...but of course he wouldn't take enough to cover for not getting a bottle.
And who had time for that?

Who's right here?
Tags:allergic, formula, milk, soy, voucher
Up