Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Christian Daycare
MommyMuffin 08:33 AM 08-25-2011
Somethings been on my mind lately...

I have been doing bible study and chrisitan crafts with my 3 yos. One is mine and the other is dcb. I have never advertised as being a christian daycare. When I decided to do some bible study I asked dcb parents and they were fine with it and actually happy about it.

I have another dcb starting next month. Should I let the parents get used to me and my daycare before I ask them if they want him to participte?

If they arent okay with it, that is fine with me (I will make sure he doesnt get exposed). I get nervous bringing it up because I think there is a stigmatism about christian daycares.

I would love to market myself as a christian daycare but I need to attract all the clients I can right now to survive.

Anyone advertise as a christian daycare? Any trouble staying full? Do you think it enhances your daycare? Thanks for the advice.
familyschoolcare 09:30 AM 08-25-2011
I advertise as a christian day care. I use the word Christian in the name of my day care. In all of my advertising a point out the christian aspect of my qualification. I did not do this at first However, about a month after opening, the pastor at my church challenged everyone to also think about what would Jesus do and do that especially in the business practice. So after much prayerful thought and consideration, I deiced that Jesus would not and did not hide his religion (he died on the cross B/C of his claims to be God). It was at that point that a inserted the word Christian into the name of my day care, and start to point out the Christian aspects of my qualifications. that first week is when I got my first child, and every phone call I have received since has said that they like having a Christian day care option. So my question to you is what do you think God/Jesus wants you to do. Also, how much Christian competition do you have. I have NO Christian competition for school age, which is my focus and specialty.
laundrymom 09:33 AM 08-25-2011
Originally Posted by familyschoolcare:
I advertise as a christian day care. I use the word Christian in the name of my day care. In all of my advertising a point out the christian aspect of my qualification. I did not do this at first However, about a month after opening, the pastor at my church challenged everyone to also think about what would Jesus do and do that especially in the business practice. So after much prayerful thought and consideration, I deiced that Jesus would not and did not hide his religion (he died on the cross B/C of his claims to be God). It was at that point that a inserted the word Christian into the name of my day care, and start to point out the Christian aspects of my qualifications. that first week is when I got my first child, and every phone call I have received since has said that they like having a Christian day care option. So my question to you is what do you think God/Jesus wants you to do. Also, how much Christian competition do you have. I have NO Christian competition for school age, which is my focus and specialty.
Can I just mention, you wrote a beautiful post.
learn-n-grow 09:34 AM 08-25-2011
I don't advertise as a christian daycare but there is a scripture quoted under my logo and in my handbook there is a small paragraph where I let them know that christianity is my lifestyle and that we do pray over our meals and we do a weekly bible lesson. The parents don't really care. A year ago, I had a muslim family enrolled and they were fine with it too.

I think at the interview you can bring it up but you don't necessarily have to advertise as such. Give the parent an opportunity to meet you and see the surrounding as opposed to them not even contacting you because of the "sour taste" they may have with "christian daycare".
familyschoolcare 09:45 AM 08-25-2011
Originally Posted by laundrymom:
Thank you
unregistered member 10:14 AM 08-25-2011
I would want to know before I signed my children up at a daycare if it was going to be religious-based. Because of my beliefs I wouldn't send my children to a religious daycare. I think it wuld be a good idea to let parents know of what you plan to do before any interviews. Good luck!
TBird 10:19 AM 08-25-2011
Originally Posted by laundrymom:
DITTO!!!
learn-n-grow 10:20 AM 08-25-2011
Originally Posted by unregistered:
I would want to know before I signed my children up at a daycare if it was going to be religious-based. Because of my beliefs I wouldn't send my children to a religious daycare. I think it wuld be a good idea to let parents know of what you plan to do before any interviews. Good luck!
I agree. That's why I think that during the interview is a great time to let them know.
Meeko 11:02 AM 08-25-2011
I do not run a religious day care per say. However, we are a religious family and I let the parents know at interview that we pray before we eat (children are never forced to pray, but must be respectful of those who want to) and I emphasis Christ as the central figure at Christmas time. I have a large painting over my desk at the day care that is of Christ with children around Him. It has never bothered any of the parents.
Unregistered 11:25 AM 08-25-2011
I don't advertise as a christian daycare because I'm not sure if I'm considered christian, so I don't mention my spiritual beliefs in ads. I'm not ashamed of my faith, I just don't really have a good way to label it!
mom2many 12:31 PM 08-25-2011
I don't advertise as a Christian daycare, but upon entering my home, it is clear we are believers. In my entry way, I have a few inspirational decorations referring to faith and my belief in God and if parents want me to pray with their child before meals I do. I play Christian kids music and they have several Veggie Tale movies they watch, but don't do any special bible studies or Christian crafts. I let them know this during the interview to make sure it will be a good fit for their family.
sharlan 12:46 PM 08-25-2011
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
I don't advertise as a christian daycare because I'm not sure if I'm considered christian, so I don't mention my spiritual beliefs in ads. I'm not ashamed of my faith, I just don't really have a good way to label it!
IMHO, if you believe in Christ, you're Christian. I consider myself Christian although many others don't.
JaydensMommy 12:51 PM 08-25-2011
Originally Posted by familyschoolcare:
Love what you said! And you've got me thinking.
CheekyChick 01:59 PM 08-25-2011
I don't run a "Christian" preschool or use Christian curriculum, but we say grace, watch Veggie Tales, listen to Christian (children's) music, etc. I interviewed a family and they seemed to love my DK and program. When I told them we pray before meals - that was a deal breaker. The mother was NOT happy about that and I never heard from them again.

I think it's best to be upfront so they can make an informed decision.
SandeeAR 05:00 PM 08-25-2011
I don't hide my Christian beliefs or views. I have two people wanting in my daycare right now, b/c we pray before meals, watch veggie tales, etc. I just don't have the room.

It is clear when you walk in my home where I stand. I have a mirrored 10 commandments on the wall. The wall above my Tv has about 20 crosses. Above the front door is a large "As for me and my House, we will SERVE THE LORD". On my front porch, is another metal scripture.

Parents know coming in. If it bothers them, then, this is not the daycare for them.
blessedmess8 11:37 AM 08-26-2011
I do advertise as Christian and let everyone know, up front. We pray and I have bible stories and devotionals in my lesson plans! I have a waiting list! If you are following God's will, he will meet your needs!!
MsMe 12:13 PM 08-26-2011
Originally Posted by unregistered:
I agree. I think it will also depend on your community how your are recieved as a Christion daycare home. Good Luck!
Zoe 12:15 PM 08-26-2011
I don't run a Christian daycare, but my son is OBSESSED with Veggie Tales and I mention to parents that sometimes those videos are on while I am making lunch. So far no one has really minded, but I mention it just in case. I'm not going to deny my son his Bob and Larry!
AnneCordelia 04:12 PM 08-27-2011
I absolutely think you should tell your clients well in advance if there is going to be any aspect of religion integrated into your care. I am another who would not send my child to a religious daycare and would want to know prior to signing up. It could be hard on a child to have to move daycares because the parents don't agree with your religion.

There are two Christian daycares in my neighbourhood and they always seem to be full.

All the best to you.
PolarCare 04:54 PM 08-27-2011
As a parent I do not want my children attending Christian schools or daycare facilities, for the same reason I don't want them attending Muslim schools or daycare facilities. If I were a Buddhist daycare facility or a Muslim facility, would it be okay for me to omit that info in order to garner more clients? I don't think so. I don't advertise because I'm always full, and one thing all my families have has in common is that they wanted their kids in non faith based care. Religion is a hot button topic, and it's safest to disclose right up front if kids in your care will be exposed to ANY religious topics, activities, or paraphernalia.
PitterPatter 08:40 PM 08-27-2011
I do not advertise a Christian daycare, I don't really have a program geared towards it either BUT I do not hide the fact that we do believe in God/Jesus and we do attend church as well as pray and have religious items in the home as well as outdoor statues. I have never had anyone say anything about it but 1 little girl did say her Dad doesn't believe in God. To which I replied her Daddy has the right to believe in what he wants but here we know God does exist. It wasn't brought up again. That's fine as long as he doesn't bring it up for debate and doesn't mind his child being here knowing how we live.
AnneCordelia 05:24 AM 08-28-2011
Originally Posted by PitterPatter:
I do not advertise a Christian daycare, I don't really have a program geared towards it either BUT I do not hide the fact that we do believe in God/Jesus and we do attend church as well as pray and have religious items in the home as well as outdoor statues. I have never had anyone say anything about it but 1 little girl did say her Dad doesn't believe in God. To which I replied her Daddy has the right to believe in what he wants but here we know God does exist. It wasn't brought up again. That's fine as long as he doesn't bring it up for debate and doesn't mind his child being here knowing how we live.
And do you believe that your choice of words degrades the beliefs her father has? You say that he "believes" but you "know". That's the kind of influence that bothers non-religious.

I also have religious statues and paraphernalia in my home. I have a statue of Mary on my front lawn, a hand-painted crucifix in my front hall, a Celtic cross in my kitchen, a Hindu Shivva statue on my bookshelf and Buddhist prayer flags in my backyard. If someone had picky eyes and only noticed the Catholic stuff they might wonder if I'm Catholic.

I think that religion is one of those subjects that you must be frank and open about. If you pray before you serve lunch, then you need to tell your families that. It's wonderful for your family but it might not be the right care setting for theirs. Full disclosure is the only way to go with a topic like this.
PitterPatter 01:44 PM 08-28-2011
Originally Posted by AnneCordelia:
And do you believe that your choice of words degrades the beliefs her father has? You say that he "believes" but you "know". That's the kind of influence that bothers non-religious.

I also have religious statues and paraphernalia in my home. I have a statue of Mary on my front lawn, a hand-painted crucifix in my front hall, a Celtic cross in my kitchen, a Hindu Shivva statue on my bookshelf and Buddhist prayer flags in my backyard. If someone had picky eyes and only noticed the Catholic stuff they might wonder if I'm Catholic.

I think that religion is one of those subjects that you must be frank and open about. If you pray before you serve lunch, then you need to tell your families that. It's wonderful for your family but it might not be the right care setting for theirs. Full disclosure is the only way to go with a topic like this.
They have never asked and I just never bothered to point it out. WE pray as a family is what I meant,not say grace before lunch. We do say grace at dinner sometimes and do pray every evening before bed. As long as I am not preaching the bible or teaching of Jesus then it does not effect the kids in daycare. I do not hide my Christian statues and plaques etc. It is obvious upon entry that I believe in God. Even passers by surely see the lawn. Unless you are blind you would know. I don't like to open discussions on religion because some people really take off with it and some people can end up offended. Why go there when I will not be teaching children about God during daycare hours? BTW the Mom does believe in God only the Father does not. So not really an issue here. But thanks for the advise
Abigail 03:08 PM 08-29-2011
For all of those who say prayer before meals, do you do it before every meal with the kids or just lunch with all the kids?

Everyone has their own beliefs and I try to avoid heated debates. My opinion, I'm not going to be teaching a religious curriculum, but I will be saying a prayer before lunch. I do have "My First Bible" and other religious books available on the book shelf along with all the rest. I'm not going to advertise as a Christian based daycare because most of our churches offer services that are much more qualified than me. I will tell a parent during the interview when it comes to our schedule that we pray. If parents have an issue and feel uncomfortable then it's not the right place.

As of right now, I don't have anything religious on the walls because the daycare area will be setup like a center and I have not come across anything for the daycare setting yet. I do have a Noah's Ark felt story board set. I did recently order a few things online that have not come yet, but were religious.

I'm a Christian and I will not hide it, but I have not found a church yet. I never grew up believing and my husband is the one who was the best influence ever on me. I got baptised last year just before we got married. I regret that I was never raised in a church and never want my kids (when I have them) to feel the way I feel about being "empty" all those years.
Sugar Magnolia 04:04 PM 08-29-2011
IMO, religious training is best left to parents and their pastor or rabbi. We have two Jewish families and an outwardly atheist family. We don't really "do" Christmas for that very reason. If a child is under 5, do they really understand that stuff anyways? I prefer to just teach kindness, not any particular religion. I am not religious at all and don't pretend to be. I had a parent in an interview once ask me what church I attend. When I said "I don't" I got a scowl and a VERY snide remark ("well that is totally unacceptable") and that attitude doesn't fly with me. I am ALL FOR Bible study, as a church activity, not a preschool activity. Sorry, don't flame on me, I am just indifferent, really.
familyschoolcare 04:53 PM 08-29-2011
Originally Posted by Sugar Magnolia:
IMO, religious training is best left to parents and their pastor or rabbi. We have two Jewish families and an outwardly atheist family. We don't really "do" Christmas for that very reason. If a child is under 5, do they really understand that stuff anyways? I prefer to just teach kindness, not any particular religion. I am not religious at all and don't pretend to be. I had a parent in an interview once ask me what church I attend. When I said "I don't" I got a scowl and a VERY snide remark ("well that is totally unacceptable") and that attitude doesn't fly with me. I am ALL FOR Bible study, as a church activity, not a preschool activity. Sorry, don't flame on me, I am just indifferent, really.
I understand that religious training is best saved for parent at least the bulk of it. I advertise Christian but do not do any religious training I advertise that way so that I can use the word God and Jesus in front of the children, and because as a parent it was important to me that the people taking care of my children shared in my religious beliefs. As you can tell from the scowl and snide remark during the interview it is important to other parents also.

As far as do children under the age of 5 relay understanding this stuff any way the answer is yes. I will not go into details unless someone ask me to.
Tags:christian, christian daycare
Reply Up