Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Can I Have An Indoor Dog?
JaydensMommy 03:58 PM 09-22-2011
So, I'd like to buy myself a small dog, I want a baby but don't think thats going to happen soon. So, I convinced my husband into buying me a Yorkie. But I would like to know what the licensing rules are in California for this? If anyone knows, I would appreciate any information. I called licensing, but I got VM and still waiting on a call back. I plan on keeping the puppy in the kitchen/ laundry room for most of the time, so she would be gated away from the children but I would like to have her around the children sometimes so she is used to them.
mom2many 04:07 PM 09-22-2011
I'm in CA and have 2 small dogs that we got as puppies...a shiz tzu and miniature dachshun and I've put copies of their shot records in my licensing paperwork, but the analysts have never been concerned about even looking at them.

The dcks love the dogs and the parents love the fact that they get to have a pet around and they don't have to get one themselves!
MsMe 04:10 PM 09-22-2011
I am in Iowa so I know it may not be the same but I have 2 small dogs. Cavachons 8# and 21#

Do lots of research about dogs that are family (esp kid)friendly. My cavachons are the perfect daycare dogs!!! I have had them both since they were 6 weeks and they spend every second out side of snack and luch time with the kids. Most days they even give one of the kids a special treat and sleep next to them. I have a little girl last year who never put the little one down....he literaly got packed aroued all day. He loved every minute of it.
Tehy are social dogs and hate to be left alone so a house full of people is like heaven to them.

I hope you can have a puppy mine have mad daycare so much more fun!! The parents love it too...they always say they are happy the kids have dogs at daycare bc then they don't have to get one at home.
nannyde 04:52 PM 09-22-2011
I have two indoor dogs. Brown Pup and The White Pup with one black eye.

I don't allow them around the kids though. I don't trust any dog with my day care kids.

They are Teddy Bears and they are very very sweet.............. but I don't trust them to be free ranging around the kids.

I don't know this for sure but I think Yorkies are not a great breed for little kids. You might want to research that breed.

Teddy Bears are just expensive mutts. (bijon, maltese, ****zu mix) but they are really adorable and small. Brown Pup is about eight pounds. White pup is ten pounds.

(the brown pup is a whiner so you may want to buy some ear plugs if you go with that breed
It's so annoying we wrote a poem about it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3vYRl1U34Z4
justgettingstarted 05:00 PM 09-22-2011
I'm in California. I haven't started up yet but my son is in a daycare that has two yorkies. They are super sweet. They jump into my lap everytime I sit down to put his shoes on before we leave As far as the regs, at my orientation they said they just have to be vaccinated for rabies. But, I'm putting in my enrollment packet that our dog is vaccinated for everything and is treated for ticks/fleas, plus she'll be outside while the kids are here (she's 70 pounds and way too excited).

Sorry if this is obnoxious but I have to say it - please please please adopt, don't buy! There are thousands of dogs including pure breds in shelters right now! Okay, I'm off my soapbox now
JaydensMommy 05:56 PM 09-22-2011
Originally Posted by MsMe:
I am in Iowa so I know it may not be the same but I have 2 small dogs. Cavachons 8# and 21#

Do lots of research about dogs that are family (esp kid)friendly. My cavachons are the perfect daycare dogs!!! I have had them both since they were 6 weeks and they spend every second out side of snack and luch time with the kids. Most days they even give one of the kids a special treat and sleep next to them. I have a little girl last year who never put the little one down....he literaly got packed aroued all day. He loved every minute of it.
Tehy are social dogs and hate to be left alone so a house full of people is like heaven to them.

I hope you can have a puppy mine have mad daycare so much more fun!! The parents love it too...they always say they are happy the kids have dogs at daycare bc then they don't have to get one at home.
Ok, I've never heard of that kind of dog, so I googled it. They are too cute!! And thanks for the advice, I am worried about how the parents will react but I am going to talk to them about it first and make sure they are ok with it.

Originally Posted by nannyde:
I have two indoor dogs. Brown Pup and The White Pup with one black eye.

I don't allow them around the kids though. I don't trust any dog with my day care kids.

They are Teddy Bears and they are very very sweet.............. but I don't trust them to be free ranging around the kids.

I don't know this for sure but I think Yorkies are not a great breed for little kids. You might want to research that breed.

Teddy Bears are just expensive mutts. (bijon, maltese, ****zu mix) but they are really adorable and small. Brown Pup is about eight pounds. White pup is ten pounds.

(the brown pup is a whiner so you may want to buy some ear plugs if you go with that breed
It's so annoying we wrote a poem about it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3vYRl1U34Z4
Since you don't let them around the kids, where do you keep them throughout the day?

Originally Posted by thinkinboutstarting:
I'm in California. I haven't started up yet but my son is in a daycare that has two yorkies. They are super sweet. They jump into my lap everytime I sit down to put his shoes on before we leave As far as the regs, at my orientation they said they just have to be vaccinated for rabies. But, I'm putting in my enrollment packet that our dog is vaccinated for everything and is treated for ticks/fleas, plus she'll be outside while the kids are here (she's 70 pounds and way too excited).

Sorry if this is obnoxious but I have to say it - please please please adopt, don't buy! There are thousands of dogs including pure breds in shelters right now! Okay, I'm off my soapbox now
That's good to hear. Some people say they are good with kids some say they are not, so I think it just depends on the puppy. I would consider adopting but honestly I really want a puppy so I can raise it with the kids and hopefully that will help it to be used to being around that many kids. But thanks everyone, I'm so excited!!
MsMe 06:22 PM 09-22-2011
my puppies are 4 and 2yrs old. Cavachons were first bred in Iowa and if you want one it is most likley it will come from Iowa.

One is white and 21 lbs and the other is black and white and only 8lbs. There are from differnt breeders....but both have the most amazing personalities and are sweeter than any dog in the world. I warn that they do need mor ethan a lot of attention and are not the dog for you if you plan to keep them gated away for more then small amouts of time. It hurts their feelings and they have high levels of anxiety.
cheerfuldom 06:44 PM 09-22-2011
I have a small dog and he is not allowed around the daycare kids. He comes out when they nap and he naps when they are up. We also take him to a part of the yard to potty, where the kids don't go, to be sure none of the kids steps in dog poo! All of my current DC families have dogs and are fine with him but he is an animal. You can't be sure what they will do and its best not to put yourself in the situation where he nips someone or something.
nannyde 05:26 AM 09-23-2011
Originally Posted by JaydensMommy:
Since you don't let them around the kids, where do you keep them throughout the day?
They are outside whenever the weather permits. They don't go down stairs so once I get all the kids here they are able to free range the upstairs of the house. I have a nice set up outdoors for them with blanketed kennels where they can lay when it is frosty outside.

They are in the house all during nap with me.
WImom 06:28 AM 09-23-2011
my beagle/bassett mix is gate to the upstairs bedrooms. He has food and water and a pet bed there (I mostly find him keeping my kids beds warm while they are school though)

I let him out during lunch to go potty outside. He naps most of the day anyways but I mostly don't trust the kids with him. He's awesome but I find kids can be mean to pets and I want him to stay sweet.

Also 8 kids can be overwhelming for a pet I think.
wdmmom 07:45 AM 09-23-2011
I have a golden retriever and she is just the sweetest. We've had her since she was 8 weeks old. She's 15 months old now.

She is a very well demeanored dog. I've never had an issue with any of my DCP's because I have a dog. I had one family decline to attend daycare here because the DCD was allergic. You're going to have that.

My dog spends the majority of the morning outside or laying in other areas of the house. She isn't permitted in the napping area/play room. We allow the kids to have little interaction with her and it is supervised at all times. On rainy days, she's usually kennelled up.
GrannyJ 11:06 AM 09-23-2011
I have three Yorkies! I have the Mom and two of her pups. The Mom and one of the pups is my daughters but she is still living at home for now.
The Yorkies love the kids and the kids love them. I have never had a problem with them biting. I do have a problem with the Yorkies wanting to lick the dck's faces and they are so excited when a dck arrives in the morning they can hardly get into the front door.
My Yorkies have full range of the house and outside. I do clean poop every morning and check frequently for poop. There poop is small, easy to clean up and so far I haven't had a dck step in any!
I did interview one parent and I could tell she did not like the dogs! But some people are just not dog people. I would never give up my Yorkie babies. I will just make sure the families I take love dogs.
As far as licensing they just have to have all there shots.
I am sure you, your family and your daycare will love a Yorkie Pup!
justgettingstarted 01:34 PM 09-23-2011
I would consider adopting but honestly I really want a puppy so I can raise it with the kids and hopefully that will help it to be used to being around that many kids.

Check out petfinder.com. I searched for yorkies in my area and nearly 1,800 popped up, 246 of which are in the "baby" category You could also look for a breed-specific rescue group and tell them you're looking for a puppy and they'll call you when one comes in.
grandmom 02:29 PM 09-23-2011
Do you have daycare liability insurance? If so, what do they say about dogs?
youretooloud 02:42 PM 09-23-2011
we have four large indoor dogs, and we keep them separate from the kids during the day.

I know my homeowner's insurance, and my daycare insurance both had a list of ten dogs that they said I couldn't have. I can't remember what they were, but I think they were all bigger dogs.
MsMe 02:42 PM 09-23-2011
i have daycare ins and I just had to list the type, size and age of each dog.
Tags:dogs, pets in daycare
Reply Up