Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Juggling Child Care and Homeschooling?
ghostlykisses 03:30 PM 02-26-2010
Does anyone here homeschool?

What does your day look like?

How do you get everything done?

I homeschool my children who are 6, 10, and 11. I figure I could fit most of my 6yo's schooling into nap time. My older two use the same program but there are extra things added for my 11yo. They are able to do some of the work independently and the instruction portion is mostly me reading to them and explaining any new concepts.

My former neighbor was a homeschooling mother of ten (7 still in the home, 3 grown up and out of the house) who ran a daycare. She somehow got everything done and also had time for ministry work, teaching religion classes, and taking her kids to activities. She was super woman! I guess she is kind of an inspiration to me.
originalkat 04:00 PM 02-26-2010
I homeschool my kids and do daycare. However mine are still little. I am doing KG work with my oldest. We do plan on continue homeschooling for the long haul and I am slowly working out a groove.

Currently I do homeschool stuff during naptime, but I dont know how I will work it as they get older and more time is involved in their schooling. I only take 4 paying kids so things dont get too overwhelming. I think being able to bring in an income and homeschool is an awesome opportunity and responsibility.
I got some good ideas from pammshouse.com. She also homeschools and does home daycare.
momofboys 04:01 PM 02-26-2010
Originally Posted by ghostlykisses:
Does anyone here homeschool?

What does your day look like?

How do you get everything done?

I homeschool my children who are 6, 10, and 11. I figure I could fit most of my 6yo's schooling into nap time. My older two use the same program but there are extra things added for my 11yo. They are able to do some of the work independently and the instruction portion is mostly me reading to them and explaining any new concepts.

My former neighbor was a homeschooling mother of ten (7 still in the home, 3 grown up and out of the house) who ran a daycare. She somehow got everything done and also had time for ministry work, teaching religion classes, and taking her kids to activities. She was super woman! I guess she is kind of an inspiration to me.

I guess it totally depends on whether the kids you watch all nap. I was asked to help homeschool a client's child & it was VERY hard to fit it in, nearly impossible. But if you had a 1.5 - 2 hr naptime block I'm sure you would have time. I applaud you for trying to do it. I would just make sure you don't take any time away from the kids you are caring for which I am sure you won't. That was my issue with helping the girl I watched, I didn't have more than a 1.5 hr block of free time so it was hard to find the time with no distractions considering that time was also my lunch time & time to clean up the kitchen & catch a break.
originalkat 04:07 PM 02-26-2010
I also think homeschooling your own child is a little easier than trying to help someone elses because you know where your own child is and where they are going academically. Plus you have made it a personal priority in your own family to homeschool so you can "make" it work.
ghostlykisses 04:15 PM 02-26-2010
Janarae you are right on. I do not want to take away time from either my own kids or the others I am caring for.

Another option if naptime does not work out that I thought of was maybe having certain age appropriate quiet activities for the dc kids to do while I school. I used to do that for my youngest when he was about 3. I made up boxes of toys and activities that could ONLY come out when I was schooling the other children and the school area was blocked off so that I could supervise his play safely while helping the older kids.

Kat I am going to check out pammshouse.com right now, thanks!
melskids 10:28 AM 02-28-2010
just a thought- as i dont know much about homeschooling, but could you break up the homeschooling, like some in the a.m., but the harder stuff at night after supper maybe? that way the DC kids are gone? (would kinda be like me helping my boys with homework.) or even doing some on the weekend? (i know- who wants school on the weekend...LOL)
ghostlykisses 06:22 PM 02-28-2010
It looks like if everything works out with the family I have been in contact with everything will work great if I can just get myself and my own kids out of bed an hour earlier. My husband works in the security industry and he works a weird 12-9 shift. The person I may do care for may be working 12-8. We can fit the instructional part of the older kid's day into the morning and at quiet time they can work independently and I can work with my 6yo.

Now to train myself to get up earlier and get rolling......that is probably the hardest challenge!
AmyAtHomeAndAtLarge 02:00 PM 03-22-2010
As a homeschooling single mom that works outside the home, I'm here to say, there is at least a small need for people willing to watch other people's homeschooled children. I would think there are some other single mom's out there that want to do this and need to work. My son has some special needs and I love homeschooling him. I work 12 - 5 every day, so I usually need someone from 11:30 - 5:30 and I pay $100 a week. Occasionally I have to shift some hours around to make up for sick time or something. What happens when I use a person that doesn't advocate homeschooling, they begin to tell me how my child needs daily socialization with kids his own age, or they think he needs a speech therapist and such. My son has language therapy, but these daycare providers want to be an expert on my child, without understanding some of the amazing things about homeschooling. Anyway, it would be nice to see if there is a network of people out there willing to care for older homeschooled children. I'm in Indianapolis, and would love to find a movement of women who embrace a whole new group of homeschoolers. I would think this is the single most limiting factor behind singles not homeschooling. Anyway, just my 2 cents. Feel free to write me at my_fridaygirl@yahoo.com if you have any ideas.
Michael 02:05 PM 03-22-2010
Originally Posted by AmyAtHomeAndAtLarge:
As a homeschooling single mom that works outside the home, I'm here to say, there is at least a small need for people willing to watch other people's homeschooled children. I would think there are some other single mom's out there that want to do this and need to work. My son has some special needs and I love homeschooling him. I work 12 - 5 every day, so I usually need someone from 11:30 - 5:30 and I pay $100 a week. Occasionally I have to shift some hours around to make up for sick time or something. What happens when I use a person that doesn't advocate homeschooling, they begin to tell me how my child needs daily socialization with kids his own age, or they think he needs a speech therapist and such. My son has language therapy, but these daycare providers want to be an expert on my child, without understanding some of the amazing things about homeschooling. Anyway, it would be nice to see if there is a network of people out there willing to care for older homeschooled children. I'm in Indianapolis, and would love to find a movement of women who embrace a whole new group of homeschoolers. I would think this is the single most limiting factor behind singles not homeschooling. Anyway, just my 2 cents. Feel free to write me at ********* if you have any ideas.
@ AmyAtHomeAndAtLarge - Suggest you register so others can write you by Private Message. Having your email public will allow for your address to get spammed more easily.
Tags:homeschool
Reply Up