Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Managing Illness, Just Came In My Email
daycare 02:37 PM 02-16-2012
Hello everyone,

I wanted to share some of the basic principles of managing infectious diseases as stated by the American Academy of Pediatrics publication “Managing Infectious Diseases in Child Care and Schools” 2nd edition.

In summarizing some of the basic principles it can be stated that to stop the spread of communicable disease it is important to keep the children healthy by doing the following:

Ø Doing a morning health check to find sick children.

Ø Isolate ill children from the other infants and refer them to medical care.

Ø Routinely disinfect toys and surfaces

Ø Wash your hands and the children’s hands:

When you come inside from outside

Before and after:

v Eating

v Giving medications

v Playing in water used by more than one person ( swimming, using a water table)

After:

v Diapering

v Using the toilet

v Handling any body fluid (blood, mucus, vomit, sores) or coming into contact with tissues, bandages, or other items contaminated with boby fluids

v Handling uncooked food, especially raw meat and poultry

v Contact with animals or cleaning the cages or litter boxes of pets and other animals ( including tropical fish)

v Playing in sandboxes or playgorunds

v Handling trash or garbage

The importance of hand washing cannot be emphasized enough as well as keeping the children’s environment sanitized.

I have sent the above attachments that should be helpful on this subject . I have included the Child Development Center Illness Form as it is a wonderful example of an illness policy
Tags:illness, illness policy
Reply Up