Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Before and After Care Only
Blissful Kids 12:07 PM 05-14-2013
Hey everyone,

I know I haven't been on here in a while, but I am in need of some advice. Here's the situation I'm in:

I watch two babies right now who are just around one years old. One is full time, the other three days a week. The part timer is moving and her last day is July 11. The other one's mom just told me she is leaving her current job and things could be in limbo for her. She also sounded a little concerned about watching her toddler with my own newborn to take care of. I am due to have my third child (a baby GIRL) on July 15. My two boys are six and three.

We recently purchased a Honda Odyssey to make more space for our growing family and transporting daycare kids. So, my thoughts are for the fall to do before and after school care for kids at my son's school only. I would transport them to and from school in the morning and afternoon. I could fit as many as three or four kids in my car, depending on if one can ride in the front seat.

So here are my questions: How much should I charge for before and after care? I've talked to a couple other daycare friends about it and they think I could charge $100 a week. Also, I'd be offering to watch the kids on days off and snow days. Also, how would I advertise for this? Craigslist? Flyers? I just think this is the best alternative to watching little ones all day, since I'll have a little baby of my own. =)

Any suggestions from people who have done this would be much appreciated! Thank you. =)
Springdaze 06:45 AM 05-15-2013
The first thing to do is find out how much the school charges if they offer it. You would offer days off from school, which the school wouldnt so thats a perk.

I would have loved to do it, but I can only have 5 (and cant transport) but I would have to charge more than the school does to survive
daycarediva 09:37 AM 05-15-2013
I think if you can handle the sa'ers, go for it! I have a provider friend who does this, only she works a job 9-1, and doesn't do summer or days off from school. She charges $90/week, they bring a snack for after school, and is open from 7-8:30 (transports to school, drop off is at 8:30) and then from 3:30-5:30 (picks up at 3:30). Her last kid leaves at 5:30. She makes more doing that then she does from her PT job, with fewer hours! She would quit the PT job, but it's government and she has FANTASTIC health insurance through them and her hubby has some pretty major medical issues. In NY, she is allowed 8 kids, but takes 6 since that is all she can fit in her van. We always joke that she should buy a passenger van, the extra two kids could pay her car payment!

The ONLY issue I see is when a kid doesn't show up for the bus, she has to trek ALL of her group to go looking for them and it's a PAIN.

She advertises on craigslist if needed, but if you speak to the school, I bet they would allow you to put up flyers in the office or business cards!

GOOD LUCK and congratulations on your new little one!
AfterSchoolMom 11:55 AM 05-15-2013
I've been doing SA care for years and it has its up and downs (the downs mostly coming from the parents). However, I really enjoy it overall.

In my area, it takes three SA's after school only (I don't do before school care this year) to make up the rate for one full timer. However, it is worth it to me to work ten hours per week instead of 40 or more and to have a long stretch of time in the middle of the day to spend time with my own new baby and to get things done around the house.

I had my baby this past August, five days before school started. I decided to just do afternoon care and to only provide care when school was in session (no holidays or teacher work days) and the arrangement works out very well. They come in from the bus, have a snack, play for awhile, clean up, and then start homework, and by that time it's usually close to pick up. Easy peasy.

Congrats on your new baby, and if you have any questions I'd be glad to help if I can.
Reply Up