Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Help needed. 22 month old bully ;)
SunflowerMama 09:07 AM 05-29-2014
Ok I have 22 month old little boy that is making life very challenging and just need some advice.

The minute he gets here he spots the first kid with a toy and runs at them yelling "MINE, MINE" and will push, shove tackle and try and take the toy away. He does this ALL DAY long. I will redirect him to the exact same toy that is not being played with and as soon as I walk away he's chasing and attacking another friend for a toy. It's when we are inside, outside, when we're eating he'll take people's food, etc. It's an all day challenge and constant redirection is not working. He yells, and screams until he takes the toy but then I take him to give it back, we show what sharing looks like, I leave and he starts the cycle all over again.

I've placed him in a high chair with his own toys but that usually doesn't last long so I'm wondering if I should break out a pnp to set up with toys to separate him too when he tries to take something or pushes/hits a friend.
He is the 2nd youngest in my group (one is 18 months and rest are 2-4).

Any advice?? Thanks!!
Chellieleanne 09:19 AM 05-29-2014
I have an almost 3yo dcb who was like that when he started in October (27 months when he started) last year. He also would bite... It has taken a lot of time and redirection and time outs. No more biting, hitting is not as common but still happens when he doesn't get his way, taking toys is a lot less common unless he is outside. He has one ride on toy he likes to play with and will full out attack who ever is playing in it so I have to basically play protector of the child with the toy until dcb gets involved with something else.

I would create an area just for him and leave him alone for a few minutes until he calms down and then try to play with the group. Repeat as necessary. Since my dcb was a little older I was also given permission to put him in timeout which I do as well but only after warnings, shadowing and redirection. I was also given permission to spank by his father but I will not do that. It took until February of this year for him to calm down and be able to share and get along without constant supervision so I can prepare lunch or snacks or go to the restroom without having to worry if he will take toys or something worse. He was also in a really bad daycare before I got him which was a big part of the problem, had to break old habits too. Ugh.
Leanna 10:15 AM 05-29-2014
He'd be my shadow.
Second Home 12:03 PM 05-29-2014
He would also be my shadow or have a place to play by himself . As far as taking others food , then he would have to eat alone until he can sit and eat nicely with the others .
TickleMonster 12:11 PM 05-29-2014
We had a young dcb like that. Always attacking others in our small group. We finally had to make the decision to let him go as his behaviors toward the other kids was unfair and frighteningly mean most of the time.
Reply Up