Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Since I Can't Term My Own Kid...Poop Question TMI In Advance
SunshineMama 10:10 AM 06-18-2014
DS is 17 months. Every time he has a poopie diaper, he always tries to grab it. He's more "itching," than playing with it, if that makes sense. Usually he poops in the morning, so I cut off footie PJ's so he wouldn't be too hot at night, and zipped him up, so he couldn't get into his diaper. If he goes in the morning, I have been previously been able to get to him while he was still in the pajamas. Lately, he has been also doing it during the day in regular clothes.

I keep him in onesies during the day, but he still manages to reach up from the bottom of his pants or shorts, and get at it. Today he came over to me with two poop smeared hands and said "dirty." Ummm, yeah, ya think?!?

What do I do? I feel like, as his mom, I am too close to the situation to think of a good solution at the moment, and need advice. Im sure I would handle this completely different with another child but I'm forming a blank at the moment. Friends have said to try duct tape, but I don't want to have to do that all day and unravel it all day off of his waist and pant legs for each diaper change. It's in the 90's, so its too hot for the onesie combo. And he seems to know its "dirty" but is surprised by it getting all over the place when he touches it. Ugh. Help please. Im so over this!

What do I do?
Annalee 10:16 AM 06-18-2014
Originally Posted by SunshineMama:
DS is 17 months. Every time he has a poopie diaper, he always tries to grab it. He's more "itching," than playing with it, if that makes sense. Usually he poops in the morning, so I cut off footie PJ's so he wouldn't be too hot at night, and zipped him up, so he couldn't get into his diaper. If he goes in the morning, I have been previously been able to get to him while he was still in the pajamas. Lately, he has been also doing it during the day in regular clothes.

I keep him in onesies during the day, but he still manages to reach up from the bottom of his pants or shorts, and get at it. Today he came over to me with two poop smeared hands and said "dirty." Ummm, yeah, ya think?!?

What do I do? I feel like, as his mom, I am too close to the situation to think of a good solution at the moment, and need advice. Im sure I would handle this completely different with another child but I'm forming a blank at the moment. Friends have said to try duct tape, but I don't want to have to do that all day and unravel it all day off of his waist and pant legs for each diaper change. It's in the 90's, so its too hot for the onesie combo. And he seems to know its "dirty" but is surprised by it getting all over the place when he touches it. Ugh. Help please. Im so over this!

What do I do?
My son used to take his "rabbit pellets" out of his diaper and lay them on the floor. My husband would always (he never learned) pick them up and smell thinking they were chocolate candy....hubby literally never learned to just clean it up and not smell and then gag.....I still laugh thinking about that and it has been many years ago!
NightOwl 10:22 AM 06-18-2014
Wow. That's a tough one. I think they make boxer shorts in tiny sizes. The ones that hug the legs, just like men's, for littles who have just potty trained? What if you put a pair of those on over the diaper and then put his shorts on. When he reached up the leg of his shorts, he would (in theory) just feel the boxer shorts. Or if you can't find any that small, you could get the "tangle free" pajama shorts. Those are made specifically to fit tight so that kids don't get their clothes all twisted when they're sleeping.
permanentvacation 10:29 AM 06-18-2014
I know it's summer time, so this is probably not the best suggestion, but maybe you can put him in jeans or long pants for a while to try to get him to break that habit.

I know this isn't what your situation is, but if he gets to where he's opening the tape on his diaper and removing his diaper, I have put kids' diapers on backwards with the tape on their backsides so they can't unhook their diapers.
SunshineMama 11:00 AM 06-18-2014
Originally Posted by permanentvacation:
I know it's summer time, so this is probably not the best suggestion, but maybe you can put him in jeans or long pants for a while to try to get him to break that habit.

I know this isn't what your situation is, but if he gets to where he's opening the tape on his diaper and removing his diaper, I have put kids' diapers on backwards with the tape on their backsides so they can't unhook their diapers.
He's going in through the side of the leg holes, not undoing the tape. Backwards is a good idea if that were the case though!
SunshineMama 11:01 AM 06-18-2014
Originally Posted by Wednesday:
Wow. That's a tough one. I think they make boxer shorts in tiny sizes. The ones that hug the legs, just like men's, for littles who have just potty trained? What if you put a pair of those on over the diaper and then put his shorts on. When he reached up the leg of his shorts, he would (in theory) just feel the boxer shorts. Or if you can't find any that small, you could get the "tangle free" pajama shorts. Those are made specifically to fit tight so that kids don't get their clothes all twisted when they're sleeping.
That's a good idea, I didn't think about tight boxer shorts, etc. He's a skinny little guy though- hopefully I can find something tight enough! I think that, paired with a onesie, may just do it! I'm going to look now!
Hollydawn 11:06 AM 06-18-2014
How about a pul diaper cover over the top of his disposable? Something like this.

http://www.nickisdiapers.com/nickis-...per-cover.html

It has snaps so he won't be able to undo it and should be snug enough he can't get his hand down the back...at least not easily anyway.
SunshineMama 11:11 AM 06-18-2014
Originally Posted by Hollydawn:
How about a pul diaper cover over the top of his disposable? Something like this.

http://www.nickisdiapers.com/nickis-...per-cover.html

It has snaps so he won't be able to undo it and should be snug enough he can't get his hand down the back...at least not easily anyway.
Hes going in through the leg holes-I like the idea but I think he can probably still get his hand up in there.

Ive been looking for spandex some bike shorts, etc, size 12 months. I cant find them though
NightOwl 11:17 AM 06-18-2014
Look for the pajamas! The ones with tight fitting shorts/shirts!
SilverSabre25 11:19 AM 06-18-2014
catch it ASAP and otherwise just deal...just finishing coping with this with y own son.
SunshineMama 11:34 AM 06-18-2014
Originally Posted by SilverSabre25:
catch it ASAP and otherwise just deal...just finishing coping with this with y own son.
how long did it take for him to get over it?
mamamanda 12:02 PM 06-18-2014
Just a thought, but I had a dcg who loved to play with her poop. She was a bit older, but we found she was craving sensory input. We offered more sensory activities during the day like playing with lotion, playdoh, finger painting with yogurt, etc. & the gooey poop wasn't such a draw anymore. Don't know if that will help in your situation at all as your little one may be doing it for an entirely different reason, but it might be worth a try?
sweet_cakes 12:23 PM 06-18-2014
Hes going in through the leg holes-I like the idea but I think he can probably still get his hand up in there.

Ive been looking for spandex some bike shorts, etc, size 12 months. I cant find them though
You may have to check the girls section. I know Kohls.com carries legging/bike type shorts for girls. Maybe just get them in unisex colors like black, blue, white, etc.

ETA: here are bike shorts: http://www.kohls.com/product/prd-161...horts-baby.jsp

They also sell capri length leggins. It's not the best solution, but one that may work for now
SunshineMama 12:25 PM 06-18-2014
Originally Posted by mamamanda:
Just a thought, but I had a dcg who loved to play with her poop. She was a bit older, but we found she was craving sensory input. We offered more sensory activities during the day like playing with lotion, playdoh, finger painting with yogurt, etc. & the gooey poop wasn't such a draw anymore. Don't know if that will help in your situation at all as your little one may be doing it for an entirely different reason, but it might be worth a try?
Interesting thought. It seems to me that he doesn't like how it feels against his skin-he isn't really playing with it, and doesn't like it on his hands. But perhaps that IS a sensory thing. I'll add some of the activities that you suggested to our day and see how it goes!
Chellieleanne 12:29 PM 06-18-2014
Try potty training. My older son started being bothered by poop around the same age so we started having him go on the toilet. Once he pooped the first time, he never pooped in a diaper again. Took a lot longer to get him to pee in the toilet(about 9 months later)but hey can't complain since it was a lot less mess in diapers!

If you can't find any tight fitting shorts or pants, take a pair of girls tights and try that over the diaper and under the onesie. Might look silly but at least he can't get to the poop!
SunshineMama 12:34 PM 06-18-2014
Originally Posted by Chellieleanne:
Try potty training. My older son started being bothered by poop around the same age so we started having him go on the toilet. Once he pooped the first time, he never pooped in a diaper again. Took a lot longer to get him to pee in the toilet(about 9 months later)but hey can't complain since it was a lot less mess in diapers!

If you can't find any tight fitting shorts or pants, take a pair of girls tights and try that over the diaper and under the onesie. Might look silly but at least he can't get to the poop!
That's also something I considered. I did the 3 day method with my 19month old and it worked really well.
SilverSabre25 12:42 PM 06-18-2014
how long did it take for him to get over it?
Hmm. Well he just turned 3...and it started around 18 months. peaked last summer when he was 2-2.5. And has been decreasing steadily since then...

not the answer you wanted, I'm sure!

i think need for sensory input was a huge part of it, like someone else mentioned
Chellieleanne 12:46 PM 06-18-2014
That's also something I considered. I did the 3 day method with my 19month old and it worked really well.
My almost two year old potty trained himself two or three months ago. One day he just decided he was done with diapers, and so he was though some days he has more accidents than others since he doesn't say when he has to go potty yet meaning lots of asking but he does go to the bathroom by himself when we are home. Still have to put them on at night but I'm not worried about that since he is still little best part, no more poppy diapers!
Unregistered 04:24 AM 06-19-2014
If you feel he's not ready for potty training, put him in tights and button his onesie over it. Tights aren't as hot as jeans or other long trousers, so I think he would be fine wearing them
Treesiheart 05:41 AM 06-19-2014
I am so sorry. *hugs to you* I can completely relate. I have spent nap time the last two weeks in tears. My 3 year old son has some delays and sensory issues. It is a completely normal behavior so please don't think I am suggesting there is anything going on with your little one. My son has just recently started pulling out poop out of his diaper. He doesn't like the way it feels so he takes it out...then it is on his hands so he starts shaking them...which equals poop splatters everywhere.... It is so discouraging. Just yesterday I had to shampoo the entire carpet during nap and disinfect all of the toys. I have also tried the body suits/ one pieces...they didn't work for us either...so far the only thing that has helped has been overalls. My poor guy is going to be in overalls every day until he is potty trained lol. the tights under the onesie are an amazing idea though. We may be trying that soon! Good luck , I am sure this phase will pass soon
Reply Up