Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>3.5yo Bit Sibling
AnneCordelia 08:21 AM 12-10-2013
Hi All,

My 3.5yo dcg is aggressive with her sister. We have a 'don't touch the baby' rule but she pushes limits when she knows I am distracted. Today at the school drop off she bit her baby sisters hand. Did not break skin but it left a mark and will bruise. Dcg3 is extremely verbal and I don't for a second believe this is a case of her biting to be understood. Dcgbaby was in the stroller and dcg3 was walking.

Do you have a violence policy with children who are old enough to verbalize their issues? Specifically do you have a policy when an older sibling points their aggression strictly towards their sibling?
Cradle2crayons 09:06 AM 12-10-2013
Originally Posted by AnneCordelia:
Hi All,

My 3.5yo dcg is aggressive with her sister. We have a 'don't touch the baby' rule but she pushes limits when she knows I am distracted. Today at the school drop off she bit her baby sisters hand. Did not break skin but it left a mark and will bruise. Dcg3 is extremely verbal and I don't for a second believe this is a case of her biting to be understood. Dcgbaby was in the stroller and dcg3 was walking.

Do you have a violence policy with children who are old enough to verbalize their issues? Specifically do you have a policy when an older sibling points their aggression strictly towards their sibling?
I have a protocol for biters. In the scheme of things, if I had to pick a situation, I would rather the victim be a sibling than another daycare child. However, it's not handled any different. I take biting VERY VERY seriously and I convey that to parents on the very first bite. THEY need to fix this. Your job is to reinforce their plan and do your best to prevent another bite.
coolconfidentme 09:23 AM 12-10-2013
If a child bites for the first time I inform both parents. It the child never does it again I don't enforce my zero tolerance policy. It reads:

We have a Zero Tolerance for violence policy at XXX. We do not condone or allow hitting, kicking, biting, bullying, aggression or hurting others. If a child is old enough to know right from wrong and displays aggression to another person, the child will be separated from everyone. The parent/guardian will be contacted to pick up the child immediately. The child cannot return for 24 hours. If a aren’t/guardian is contacted to pick up their child three (3) times for this type of behavior, arrangements will have to be made for the child to go elsewhere for care.

It really has force parents to take an active role in stopping the behavior.
Tags:biting, biting policy
Reply Up