Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Is This A Stupid Question To Ask You Guys?
LadyK8 06:19 PM 06-23-2014
How does one handle a 3 year-old for over 7 hours?

I only have two children in my care, an infant and a 3 year-old. The infant is full-time, and the DC3 is only here sporadically and only for a few hours. Well, tomorrow I have her for more than 7 hours and I'm praying that I don't bore her.

Kids these days are just a different breed and get bored so easily, even when you have lots for them to do.

Is it normal to be a little scared?
Michelle 06:28 PM 06-23-2014
There is no such thing as a stupid question on here
I think you will do fine!
Make sure you have legos
three year olds can play with them for a long time and just offer lots of activities like coloring, painting and books, you will be fine
nannyde 06:30 PM 06-23-2014
Have toys for her to play with and stay out of it. Boredom is so healthy for kids. Gift her with it.
daycare 06:51 PM 06-23-2014
Originally Posted by nannyde:
Have toys for her to play with and stay out of it. Boredom is so healthy for kids. Gift her with it.
this is so the truth. right now I am in the middle of moving house and am working out of my old house while setting up my daycare in the new house. almost all of the toys are at the new place, only left about 4 things to do at the new place toy wise. I have never seen these kids sooooooooo creative with play. the first day they were super bored and I told them well you guys have to use what you have. Day one was a little hard, but by day two they had me super impressed. I have decided to take out most of the toys at the new place too since I now see how much it has forced them to play creatively.

I only observe, I don't entertain. They have toys and each other to do that.
AmyKidsCo 07:59 PM 06-23-2014
Originally Posted by nannyde:
Yes!! Have open-ended toys for her to play with and let her go.
hope 03:09 AM 06-24-2014
Also give her lots of tasks to do and have her draw a picture of all her new responsibilities. 3 year old love being Lil helpers and you can keep them busy by asking them to help you.
Play Care 03:17 AM 06-24-2014
Since she will be the only child (aside from the infant) I would plan some more structured activities. Because I take a lot of teachers kids, I often find on breaks and such I will be left with ONE child here and there. I take that opportunity to throw out the paints and let them have at it, or play doh, etc. That's the day we will bake some cookies from scratch to have with our PM snack, or take a nice long walk, etc. If you have the infant on a good schedule make a plan around it. I find *I* get bored if I don't have enough to do
SunshineMama 03:41 AM 06-24-2014
Can you add another 3 year old to your group? Problem solved! Otherwise, good luck! Whenever I have a single 3 year old dck, they are always whining or bored or crying bc they miss mom or want to be entertained, etc. They can't play alone at all. Helicopter mom's and TV did that!
SignMeUp 04:34 AM 06-24-2014
I would alternate self-initiated and adult-initiated activities. Read her a book, then 'go play'. Have snack, then 'go play'. Pick up toys, bring out play-dough. Go outside and 'go play'. Clean up and have lunch. Read a book. Nap. Snack. 'Go play'.
Mix those up in whatever way works for you, but by alternating the adult-initiated activities, you give her bits of attention on a regular basis, but expect her to entertain herself in between.
LadyK8 04:38 AM 06-24-2014
Thank you guys so much! You have no idea how much this has helped.
LadyK8 04:45 AM 06-24-2014
Originally Posted by SunshineMama:
Can you add another 3 year old to your group? Problem solved! Otherwise, good luck! Whenever I have a single 3 year old dck, they are always whining or bored or crying bc they miss mom or want to be entertained, etc. They can't play alone at all. Helicopter mom's and TV did that!
I'm trying right now, but no bites.

The problem you mentioned is the exact reason why I made this post. She's an electronics child and her parents admitted this to me, so she has a hard time not feeling me around and expecting me to entertain her the entire time, or she'll get bored.
Reply Up