Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Okay Teachers....Teach ME
Thriftylady 03:25 PM 06-16-2016
I am hoping the teachers can help me, but if you are not a teacher and have the answers, you can help also!

This summer since I have all SA kiddos I am doing an hour of "school" per day. My Pre K kiddo going to K is doing preschool stuff along with my kindy kiddo doing a second year of kindy. Kindy is a two year program here for those who need it, those who they don't declare need a second year move on.

So my first grade kiddos are my question. One in particular. The workbooks I got them all are for the year they just left in school So my first graders are working on first grade books. The one is stuggling in reading, and her report card said she needed to work on it and letter blends. What I am seeing is she can't read at all. She can't read words like "try", "men" and "dish" and longer words such as "choose" or "there" forget about it. I do know from homework assistance some of these longer words were sight words for her. She also still doesn't really know all of her letters. For the word "bad", she will sound out "dad". I know this is typical for kindy kids, but shouldn't first graders be past that? She also does this for vowel sounds so she will look at the word "bed" and sound out "bod" or "bad". She needs help reading anything in her workbook.

The fact I am not a teacher, leaves me with a ton of questions. First off, I don't know what I should expect her to be able to read. Secondly, how long do I have her sound out words before I give her the word, or do I give the word at all? I need someone to tell me how to HELP this child and not hurt progress. Comparing her to her classmate (these two were in the same class all year) is hard. Her classmate struggles with reading, and they have discussed and IEP for her reading. But, she is doing slightly better than her counterpart AND she memorizes. So say I read a book, she can read it back from memory. I know she does this, because she can "read" without looking at the words and sometimes inserts a totally different word, or omits a whole phrase. I think part of the reason she is reading a little better, is that she is memorizing words.

My husband thinks I have overly concerned myself with this. But the fact is the parents do nothing with these kiddos at home. If it doesn't happen here or at school, it just doesn't happen. My husband keeps saying "but you are not a teacher" and in some ways he is right. In other ways, I think everyone can be a teacher. I am at my wits end, because I don't know what I should be doing to help these kids, and I feel they need some extra help.

So now shoot your best advice!
Mike 05:33 PM 06-16-2016
I'm not a teacher, but have done a lot of tutoring, so the advice I'm about to give is just my opinion.

First, kids do have different rates of learning, but at any rate, they can always learn more with help. There are many medical reasons for children to have trouble learning, so if she is behind for her age, I would suggest a professional evaluation and see if she should be checked by a doctor.

Either way, how I taught a few pre-schoolers the alphabet is with alphabet cards. I'd go through in order until they know all the letters, then start mixing them up until they know them all. Half the time, I assisted the learning with treats. One 5 yo girl loved Smarties, so every 5 letters she got right earned her a Smartie. When doing the mixed up letters, I also helped her not give up by showing letters she knew repeatedly. Too many mistakes and they give up.

For words, I made my own pages of pictures and words and let them practice with the pictures, then cover the pictures up. I helped distinguish rhyming words by working with them in sets. I would help them with words by sounding them out a piece at a time until they got it themselves.

For reading or learning words, or learning shapes, colors, whatever, one thing I've learned is not to over test their patience. If they don't get it within a few seconds, give them a little help. And, sometimes they need a bit more help with that, like little treats. Some might call it bribing, but it does make them more eager to try, and more eager means better learning.

Overall, it is up to you how much time you want to put into it since it's true that you aren't the teacher. If she's having learning trouble, the parents are supposed to deal with it, but it's also true that we all have a chance to help with the learning.
Thriftylady 07:02 PM 06-16-2016
Originally Posted by Mike:
I'm not a teacher, but have done a lot of tutoring, so the advice I'm about to give is just my opinion.

First, kids do have different rates of learning, but at any rate, they can always learn more with help. There are many medical reasons for children to have trouble learning, so if she is behind for her age, I would suggest a professional evaluation and see if she should be checked by a doctor.

Either way, how I taught a few pre-schoolers the alphabet is with alphabet cards. I'd go through in order until they know all the letters, then start mixing them up until they know them all. Half the time, I assisted the learning with treats. One 5 yo girl loved Smarties, so every 5 letters she got right earned her a Smartie. When doing the mixed up letters, I also helped her not give up by showing letters she knew repeatedly. Too many mistakes and they give up.

For words, I made my own pages of pictures and words and let them practice with the pictures, then cover the pictures up. I helped distinguish rhyming words by working with them in sets. I would help them with words by sounding them out a piece at a time until they got it themselves.

For reading or learning words, or learning shapes, colors, whatever, one thing I've learned is not to over test their patience. If they don't get it within a few seconds, give them a little help. And, sometimes they need a bit more help with that, like little treats. Some might call it bribing, but it does make them more eager to try, and more eager means better learning.

Overall, it is up to you how much time you want to put into it since it's true that you aren't the teacher. If she's having learning trouble, the parents are supposed to deal with it, but it's also true that we all have a chance to help with the learning.
Well I had her brother for Pre K and begged parents for assessment on him. They have refused. He starts kindy this fall so I hope they can help him. The thing is I now sister is getting tutoring at school for reading, and what her report card says. But I am unable to measure if she is behind or not. I guess I don't know where she really should be. But I do feel like after a first grade she should know letter sounds right?
Mike 07:44 PM 06-16-2016
Yes, by first grade they should know the alphabet and simple words. The girl I tutored 2 summers ago was 5 and going to k in Sept. She was behind because she was taken from an abusive mother and the foster mom wanted to help her catch up. I went for 2 hours a week for the summer and the foster mom saw a huge difference.

At the beginning, she only knew a few letters, a few colors, and knew what a circle was, and couldn't even count to 10. By the end of summer, she knew all the letters, a few dozen words and could sound out simple ones, knew colors and could count to 20.

I have been told that it's normal for children to not be that knowledgeable in k, but if not, they should be checked because if there is a learning problem, it should be found and fixed asap.

I bumped into them several months later in a store. The girl was excited to see me and gave me a hug and the foster mom told me some great news. First, she was at the same level as other kids in school, and 2nd, she was in the process of full adoption.
AmyKidsCo 08:06 PM 06-16-2016
Personally, I'd set aside the workbooks and read to her. A lot. Read first-reader type books and sometimes point to the words as you go. Read harder books (and sometimes point to the words as you go). Read first-reader type books together, taking turns by sentence, or by page. Read environmental print together: cereal boxes and other food containers, signs, etc.

Play verbal word games: Take turns naming words that start with a certain letter or contain letter blends. (Try, tray, trace, trick, treat, etc) Ask what letters make a certain sound, or what sounds certain letters make together. (Focusing on the blended letters she's struggling with.)

Relax and have fun with her! Some kids learn reading faster than others but studies show that by 3rd grade they've pretty much evened out. IMO, fostering a love of reading and learning is much more important.
Josiegirl 02:52 AM 06-17-2016
If you don't already, you could label things in the house. Kids become inquisitive about a written word.
You could also cut letters and words out of magazines to make collages.
Check Pinterest for literacy activities.
childcaremom 02:59 AM 06-17-2016
Honestly, I would just read. Any teacher I've ever talked to always suggests it. If you can do trips to the library together, or else by yourself, and grab books of all different levels. You can do part independent reading, part group reading. Some kids at that age will be right into huge chapter books like Harry Potter, Percy Jackson, or smaller ones like James and the Giant Peach, etc. You could do spin off activities off of that. Peach party once you finish the book, etc.
Thriftylady 05:21 AM 06-17-2016
Originally Posted by childcaremom:
Honestly, I would just read. Any teacher I've ever talked to always suggests it. If you can do trips to the library together, or else by yourself, and grab books of all different levels. You can do part independent reading, part group reading. Some kids at that age will be right into huge chapter books like Harry Potter, Percy Jackson, or smaller ones like James and the Giant Peach, etc. You could do spin off activities off of that. Peach party once you finish the book, etc.
We do go to the library every Friday and I try to read to them as a group daily. All of my kids get books at the library each week, but they never want to sit down and read them.
Laurel 05:22 AM 06-17-2016
You could also use abc.mouse.com for practice and fun. It is free for teachers. I got it for free for my daycare but some here said they couldn't. I just put my license number and it went through. All the kids I had loved it. It is just learning games (also can print things out).

If, for whatever reason, you can't get it for free it is only $7.95 a month. It is for ages 2 to 7.

It has every imaginable fun game to teach letters, reading, math, etc. You earn points and can 'buy' things with the points. They are just virtual things to buy but even I thought they were fun to buy, lol. You can make an avatar to look like you and buy clothes and toys for it. You get a bedroom and can buy things and decorate it or various scenes like a backyard or beach and 'go to the beach'. You can buy a pet and put water in its bowl, buy food to feed it, give it baths, etc. Even past 7 my granddaughter liked to do it for fun. It is great for remedial work because you can start at whatever level you want and work up.
Laurel 05:33 AM 06-17-2016
Originally Posted by Thriftylady:
We do go to the library every Friday and I try to read to them as a group daily. All of my kids get books at the library each week, but they never want to sit down and read them.
For a reluctant reader, I would sit and read with them. Take turns reading pages if they are a good reader or just sentences if they are struggling.

Also, ask the librarian (even ahead of time) to suggest some of the most popular books for their ages or have some ready when you come. I've found that non fiction books are really popular with most kids. Books about animals particularly.

They can also get interested in books by making them. Just some paper stapled together into blank books. If they don't want to read a book tell them to make one.
spedmommy4 07:02 AM 06-17-2016
In grad school, I learned that there is a development range for acquiring literacy skills. The pre literacy skills start in infancy and continue developing all the way to age eight. Some kids acquire these skills faster than others.

My oldest was spelling and reading by the end of preschool. We did all the same things with my second son and he wasn't even close by first grade. We were considering tutoring but ended up with an amazing second grade teacher who recognized he wasn't developmentally ready (she said don't push) and mid second grade he took off. He also ended up being my kiddo that absolutely loved school.
Annalee 07:42 AM 06-17-2016
Originally Posted by spedmommy4:
In grad school, I learned that there is a development range for acquiring literacy skills. The pre literacy skills start in infancy and continue developing all the way to age eight. Some kids acquire these skills faster than others.

My oldest was spelling and reading by the end of preschool. We did all the same things with my second son and he wasn't even close by first grade. We were considering tutoring but ended up with an amazing second grade teacher who recognized he wasn't developmentally ready (she said don't push) and mid second grade he took off. He also ended up being my kiddo that absolutely loved school.
I have been told this by teachers as well "don't push"....it will come!
MunchkinWrangler 07:00 PM 06-17-2016
Just a thought... Could it be her eyesight?
Thriftylady 07:03 PM 06-17-2016
Originally Posted by MunchkinWrangler:
Just a thought... Could it be her eyesight?
I haven't noticed anything to lead me to that, but I suppose it is possible. I will say though she is really good at math!
Josiegirl 03:49 AM 06-18-2016
I haven't noticed anything to lead me to that, but I suppose it is possible. I will say though she is really good at math!
They all have their strengths and interests that develop quicker than others.
Years ago I had a little boy who refused to do his colors, discussed it with dcm, thought he might be color blind, the whole worry train. He was going on to Kindergarten and would never play any color games here. BUT he excelled at skiing, learned to ride his 2 wheel bike at a very young age. He was too darn busy learning what HE wanted to learn to give a care about what everybody else wanted him to learn. I'm sure he knows colors now. Lol He's in high school.
MunchkinWrangler 08:58 AM 06-18-2016
That makes sense! It seems when people are good at math, reading and just the activity of it is either difficult or not interesting and vice versa. I just thought because the words she was mixing up were so similar.
MunchkinWrangler 08:59 AM 06-18-2016
Originally Posted by Josiegirl:
They all have their strengths and interests that develop quicker than others.
Years ago I had a little boy who refused to do his colors, discussed it with dcm, thought he might be color blind, the whole worry train. He was going on to Kindergarten and would never play any color games here. BUT he excelled at skiing, learned to ride his 2 wheel bike at a very young age. He was too darn busy learning what HE wanted to learn to give a care about what everybody else wanted him to learn. I'm sure he knows colors now. Lol He's in high school.
Truth! My ds was ahead in all of his physical motor skills but language was slightly behind. Now he never stops talking!
Reply Up