Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Setting Up Your DC for Success
Josiegirl 02:31 PM 01-22-2019
Are there certain physical arrangements that work best? Separated areas? Less toys vs. more toys? Open floor plan? What types of things work best for your dc to keep a smooth flow to your day? Maybe it revolves around your routine instead of physical space?
My routine and space both seem to invite disorder, running from one activity to another, just random chaos.
But then I've got 3 dcks who are all going through the same types of behaviors such as throwing, hitting, pushing, stealing toys, screaming at each other..... There has GOT to be a better plan that I'm missing.
Ariana 03:05 PM 01-22-2019
Observations are a really good tool for understanding your daycare kids. Is there an area they love to play in? I did this and realized that all of my kids love the kitchen area so I made that area bigger and expanded the things to play with in there. I also blocked it off from the free play (bins of blocks, cars, connector things) and gross motor area. So I basically have 3 larger areas blocked off from eachother by bookshelves. They can walk from one place to the other but it cut down on running. The gross motor area is a swing and a trampoline. The free play area bins get switched out every week to something new. I do 3 bins at a time.
LK5kids 01:49 AM 01-23-2019
Schedule and routine are important to me. I think rotating a few toys in and out each week helps too. I might just add one or two.

I know a group of all 2’s can be like this. Are yours all youbger?

Why do you think your routine invites chaos? I have a lot of interest areas/centers. That seems to help.

What does your space look like? Describe it for us.
Josiegirl 03:53 AM 01-23-2019
Describe my space? It's not nearly big enough for these winter months.
I use my living room, it's open with books and blocks for more quiet play. Then I have a small(10x10) extra bedroom for storage and they can choose things out of there to bring with them, such as puppets, puzzles, waffle blocks and the light table. Then the playroom(which measures about 10x30') which isn't really divided up but has shelving around the outside perimeters. The dramatic play area is in one corner, block area in the opposite side and in the middle are bins of different things on the shelves plus dollhouses/farms/magnetic blocks, etc., buckets of trucks and Little People toys. And in the middle of all these rooms is my kitchen.

If I can muster up the energy this weekend I'll move some things around in the playroom and see if that makes any difference. Make more of a corner for dramatic play and try to introduce something different to make it more appealing. I just don't have the money right now to get anything. Take some toys out of play and that'd cut down on the dumping; hopefully help them focus more on what there is to play with.
Cat Herder 05:33 AM 01-23-2019
I rearrange and swap out centers often to minimize loss of interest that requires more redirection. I also set up individual spaces to limit behavioral issues and separate out ages to limit the risk of injury to littles.
Blackcat31 07:27 AM 01-23-2019
Some things off the top of my head that help my daily routine remain less crazy......

Never have too many options available at once. Just creates chaos.

Rotate toys often. Too complicated or too many pieces create the need for adult intervention/participation.

Limit the number of kids in a center/area at once....especially if two or more of them don't get along very well.

Never let a child continually choose the same activity or playmate over and over. Encourage new explorations and playmates often.

Have a "loose" but regular daily routine. If it's too strict or rigid you (and/or the kids) will go crazy when you veer off track.

ALWAYS use the same method for implementing consequences. (whatever method it is you use). Consistency is key. Especially for the littles.

I use 1,2,3.
#1 Remind "Jack, remember we do not take blocks from others"
#2 Warn "Jack if you continue to take blocks from others, you will have to stop playing and leave the area"
#3 Action "Jack, put your blocks away and leave the area"

The physical set up should not allow for running or rough play but should leave an open view for observation, supervision and intervention when necessary.

Those children that have specific behaviors that you are trying to curb should either be provided activities that don't allow the behavior to occur (throwing; no thowable toys or pieces) or should be required to buddy up with an older peer if possible for role modeling positive pro-social behaviors.

Allow the child access to activities and toys that are throwable only when you are available and involved in the activity so you can quickly intervene or stop the unwanted action before it happens.
Tags:daycare environment
Reply Up