Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Just for Fun: Those Of You With Pets In Your Daycare Home...
Starburst 07:33 PM 08-02-2013
  1. What type of pets do you have?
  2. What do you do with your pets during daycare hours?
    Do you put the in a designated 'off-limits to DCK' area/room?
    Or do you let them normally walk around the house as normal (if cats/dogs)?
    If they are cages (i.e. hamsters) do you let daycare kids to hold or pet them?
    If so are there any rules you have that the DCK must follow ("no petting pets")?
  3. Have you had any complaints by DCF about you having pets?
  4. Have you ever had parents not want to enroll in your program because you have pets?
  5. If you have any DCK with allergies are there any cleaning strategies you have or do you just tell potential parents it would not be a good fit because of allergies?

I worked at a daycare where she had a black lab but the dog was mostly a big baby and shadowed her 'mama' (my boss), she was also very mellow because she grew up in that daycare, as well as her bio-mother (my boss's daughter's dog). I keep pondering what to do with my cats when I start. The state does say pets are allowed except for reptiles, frogs, monkeys, hook-beaked birds, baby chicks, and ferrets. It only says they need to be kept away from food prep areas and litter boxes out of reach of children. Just trying to get some different ideas.
Cradle2crayons 07:49 PM 08-02-2013
I have two dogs, 3 adult cats, 2 junior cats, and five kittens currently. Two of those five will be going to new homes. We also have a pet rat, chickens outdoors, and two baby ball python snakes.

The one litter box for the small kittens only is in my master bath away from daycare as well as their food and water and the dogs food. The adult cats potty outside in the woods.

The dogs and cats are all spayed and neutered except the small kittens.

In my daughters room is a pet rat and the pet snakes are in my bedroom also away from daycare. None of the daycare kids are allowed in those rooms.

None of e daycare kids are allowed to pick up ANY of the pets. They are allowed to sit beside em and pet, but that's it.

I've never had a parent not want their kids here because of pets.

I've kept lots of kids who said they were allergic but because I use special stuff in my cats I've never had an allergic child have a problem. Of course I have a purifier, no carpets or drapes etc and keep my house spotless.

There are no rules here as far as pets except ey have to be healthy and vaccinated.

Never had the first complaint or problem with any of my pets scratching or any other issues with them.
missheather 07:52 PM 08-02-2013
I have two dogs. Molly is a 25 pound beagle/terrier mix and Bear is a 100+ pound White German Shepherd. Both are about 7 years old. They are big baby's and spend most of the day sleeping.
I am still in the process of getting my license. But the plan is to have the dogs spend most of the day in the Office area which has a half door into the kitchen. From the Office they have access to the garage and out into the backyard. From time to time they may have interaction with daycare children but it will be limited. This is not only for the kids but also for the dogs. I don't want to overwhelm the dogs with little kids. The office will allow them to have space where they can get away.
I am nervous about if parents will be okay with the dog but they are very calm and sweet around everyone... kids and adults.
Starburst 08:02 PM 08-02-2013
Originally Posted by Cradle2crayons:
The one litter box for the small kittens only is in my master bath away from daycare as well as their food and water and the dogs food. The adult cats potty outside in the woods.
I have indoor only cats so the woods isn't an option (yet, lol). I figured I could put the cat box in a bedroom that would be off limits to kids and leave the door open and just put up a baby gate so the cats can jump over it but the kids can't get through it. Maybe if we buy a house one day can I get one of those pet doors with the special access collars. My mom thinks I'm weird (which I am) but my goal is to try to teach my cats how to use the toilet (a girl can dream ).
Sunchimes 08:04 PM 08-02-2013
I have an elderly dog and 2 cats. The dog stays outside when the kids are here. She is a sweetheart and has never shown any aggression to anything except a stray cat once. But, she is a 45 pound dog, and I'd rather keep the kids away. She's fine outside and comes in as soon as the kids leave.

The cats think that they run the daycare. If they hear someone cry during the rare moments they are out of the playroom, they come sailing over the gate to check on things. The kids wallow on them all the time. They have been stepped on, spit up on, sat on, and drug around with their toes barely touching the ground. Much to the kid's chagrin, they won't sit in the baby buggy. No matter what happens, they won't leave the room. There has only been one scratching episode. Kitty was sitting on the buffet in the dining room. Dcg walked by and reached up and grabbed him, pulling him down. Kitty was trying to keep from falling and scratched dcg on the arm. My buffet got most of the damage. I'm still trying to cover those scratches. DCM was fine, putting all the blame on the little girl.

I've had one phone call for an infant that decided not to interview. Baby hadn't shown signs of an allergy, but SA sibling was allergic to cats. They decided not to risk it.
Willow 08:09 PM 08-02-2013
[*]What type of pets do you have?

Currently 4 dogs, 2 cats, a rabbit, chinchilla and we're currently fencing pasture so my horse will be here soon

[*]What do you do with your pets during daycare hours?

My younger Lab stays in a kennel run outside, the other three dogs stay in our master bedroom, the downstairs is double gated off and the cats largely stay down there on their own accord, chin is downstairs in my daughters room and the rabbit lives outside in the summer, inside in my sons room downstairs in the winter.

Usually yes, with few exceptions. The cats will sometimes jump the gates during naptime and snuggle up with the older girls. I do allow them to feed the bun outside too.

No, and never would. They are phenomenal with kids but most kids are not even remotely well mannered or respectful with pets. I keep them separated mainly to protect my pets.

Just the rabbit is caged. Although I don't allow them to hold him they can feed him grass and clover and can pet him if I set him up on the deck.

If so are there any rules you have that the DCK must follow ("no petting pets")?

I don't trust other peoples chilren to follow rules regarding my fur children lol. Kids are kids, pets tend to get most kids pretty riled, and at the end of the day pets are just animals. It's just one of those combinations that far too many things can go wrong liability wise to make it worth the risk imho.

[*]Have you had any complaints by DCF about you having pets?

Only that they don't understand why I don't let their kids play with my animals more. I don't think of them as "toys" and that's a hard thing for some parents to understand.

(Unless you're talking DCF as in county licensor? If so again no. They don't even know I have pets until I tell them I do and produce all their vaccination records)

[*]Have you ever had parents not want to enroll in your program because you have pets?

Never. In fact most really like that I do.

[*]If you have any DCK with allergies are there any cleaning strategies you have or do you just tell potential parents it would not be a good fit because of allergies?

I would tell them they aren't a good fit. Although I keep my house immaculately clean in regards to my mini zoo I would not want the liability of a child having a reaction in my home when the allergy is already well known to be any sort of substantial issue.
Margarete 08:34 PM 08-02-2013
We have a black lab and he wanders freely. He is so mellow. The kids have placed stickers, blankets on him, and he has no problem with it. There have been times when he's laying down in the middle of the room, and they are literally running circles around him. We do have one room where he can freely go into where the kids are not allowed. I just want to make sure he has an escape if he gets overwhelmed for his sake, but he usually chooses to be in the same area we are.
I have at times separated him when the kids were eating. There was one point when the kids were dropping food on the floor on purpose for him. They are all trained a little better then that now, but it's still really tempting for our dog when something gets dropped.
We had one instance where our neighbors dog jumped over the 6' block wall while the kids were in the back yard. Our dog, placed himself between the kids and the dog, circled, and corralled him calmly while I got the kids in the house. I was soo impressed.
Lyss 09:57 PM 08-02-2013
Originally Posted by Starburst:
  1. What type of pets do you have?
  2. What do you do with your pets during daycare hours?
  3. Have you had any complaints by DCF about you having pets?
  4. Have you ever had parents not want to enroll in your program because you have pets?
  5. If you have any DCK with allergies are there any cleaning strategies you have or do you just tell potential parents it would not be a good fit because of allergies?

I worked at a daycare where she had a black lab but the dog was mostly a big baby and shadowed her 'mama' (my boss), she was also very mellow because she grew up in that daycare, as well as her bio-mother (my boss's daughter's dog). I keep pondering what to do with my cats when I start. The state does say pets are allowed except for reptiles, frogs, monkeys, hook-beaked birds, baby chicks, and ferrets. It only says they need to be kept away from food prep areas and litter boxes out of reach of children. Just trying to get some different ideas.

What type of pets do you have? Dog (& Fish)

What do you do with your pets during daycare hours? Dog mainly hangs out in the bedrooms or outside. (the fish, Fishy2 and Minnie Purl, are DC pets)

Do you put the in a designated 'off-limits to DCK' area/room? Or do you let them normally walk around the house as normal (if cats/dogs)? Very occasionally I let her roam, I put a baby gate at the hallway so she has access to the bedrooms and hall but not DC area. She's great with the kids and would never bite but I don't think its fair to her to be mauled/stalked all day by the kids, plus my kids are younger and don't quite understand how to respect her space She does go outside with us but we have a large field and the kids usually ignore her and play or throw her ball but that's rare.

If they are cages (i.e. hamsters) do you let daycare kids to hold or pet them? If so are there any rules you have that the DCK must follow ("no petting pets")? No small animals, well just the fish but the kids don't hold them They are in charge of feeding and cleaning (obviously with help)

Have you had any complaints by DCF about you having pets? Nope, never. All my parents are dog people.

Have you ever had parents not want to enroll in your program because you have pets? Nope, Never

If you have any DCK with allergies are there any cleaning strategies you have or do you just tell potential parents it would not be a good fit because of allergies? Never had any issues, if a potential said they had allergies I wouldn't take them. I'm not getting rid of my pet just for a family or making a kid miserable just for the money. I put on my website I have a dog and her photo.
JoseyJo 10:44 PM 08-02-2013
  1. What type of pets do you have? A shi tzu/yorkie mix, 5 hermit crabs, 1 turtle
  2. What do you do with your pets during daycare hours? hermit crabs and turtle are ALWAYS off limits to the DCKs, dog stays out of daycare area at all learning activity times and meal times, but is allowed to go back and forth during free play time. she also joins us in the backyard for outside play everyday (her favorite, favorite time of day!)
    Do you put the in a designated 'off-limits to DCK' area/room? Yes, turtle tank is "No touching, Looking Only" due to salmanila risk, Hermit crabs the same due to possible pinching, both have covered glass cages. The rule w/ the dog is when she is allowed to join us she is can go in the back (our personal, non daycare use den) whenever she wants and NO ONE can follow her
    Or do you let them normally walk around the house as normal (if cats/dogs)?She can walk around as normal as long as there is no food out and she is not distracting the kids from preschool activities
    If they are cages (i.e. hamsters) do you let daycare kids to hold or pet them? Nope! I would though if there was no risk to the kids.
    If so are there any rules you have that the DCK must follow ("no petting pets")?Don't follow her out of DC area, soft touches only, don't pull her tail/ears/hair/whiskers/etc
  3. Have you had any complaints by DCF about you having pets?No
  4. Have you ever had parents not want to enroll in your program because you have pets?No
  5. If you have any DCK with allergies are there any cleaning strategies you have or do you just tell potential parents it would not be a good fit because of allergies?My hubby is allergic to everything (pets included) We have laminate floors that we sanitize daily, no carpet, no upholstered furniture (everything wood, leather, plastic or faux leather). We pick up poo daily and wash her weekly. Our dog is also has hair not fur so she is not as allergenic as some breeds. I tell parents about all of our pets during the interview/tour and if dc child was allergic would say not a good fit.

I answered above in bold.
Cradle2crayons 02:45 AM 08-03-2013
I have indoor only cats so the woods isn't an option (yet, lol). I figured I could put the cat box in a bedroom that would be off limits to kids and leave the door open and just put up a baby gate so the cats can jump over it but the kids can't get through it. Maybe if we buy a house one day can I get one of those pet doors with the special access collars. My mom thinks I'm weird (which I am) but my goal is to try to teach my cats how to use the toilet (a girl can dream ).
It's so great having em potty outside. I train them from litter box to the woods at about four months. Ten bye bye litter box. Yippee.
Josiegirl 03:29 AM 08-03-2013
I run a family daycare, my pets are part of my family. I have a cat that hides most of the time; he's getting older and doesn't like the noise or my 2 dogs. He stays upstairs in my dd's bedroom, along with his food/water and litter box. My 2 dogs stay around with us but I do make sure my choc. lab-retriever is crated while there is drop-off and pick-up going on because she's a jumper. My other dog(a mutt) is the sweetest gentlest thing you ever saw so I let her out with us all the time. I feed them before and after dc hours but their water bowl is always available. My 15 month old has tipped it a couple times but that's about it. And I do keep them in my bedroom while the dcks are eating.
Angelsj 05:28 AM 08-03-2013
My mom thinks I'm weird (which I am) but my goal is to try to teach my cats how to use the toilet (a girl can dream ).
I have two that can do this! If only they would learn to flush
WImom 05:52 AM 08-03-2013
What type of pets do you have? Beagle/Basset - 8y and English Mastiff - Puppy - 18 weeks
What do you do with your pets during daycare hours? My older dog stays up stairs most of the day and sleeps or is gated to my living room and my puppy is in a crate.

Or do you let them normally walk around the house as normal (if cats/dogs)? Used to when it was just the older dog but sometimes the kids would crowd him and he doesn't like that. He'd just walk away but I figured it was better for him to just be gated out.

If so are there any rules you have that the DCK must follow ("no petting pets")? I did have a rule of no hugging my dog or petting his face. They had to pet his back.
Have you had any complaints by DCF about you having pets? No
Have you ever had parents not want to enroll in your program because you have pets? No that I'm aware of but it's listed on my website so they may have just not contacted me. I did have two families that the kids were afraid of dogs. After a few months they loved my dog and the parents were thrilled my dog helped them with that fear.
If you have any DCK with allergies are there any cleaning strategies you have or do you just tell potential parents it would not be a good fit because of allergies? No, I did have one so far with allergies but my space is seperated so it wasn't an issue. His allergies were fine. I'm thinking if my dog was always in my space I'd just say you weren't a good fit unless the child is on allergy meds for other allergies. (My DCB was on Zyrtec already for seasonal allergies).
Jewels 08:08 AM 08-03-2013
I have an Ivory lab
1 cat (getting a kitten soon as well)
and 2 pet rats

They are all around the children at all times, my dog grew up in the daycare , the kids rarely even pay attention to him, he usually just sleeps on the floor all day, and they all treat him good, the only time I lock him up is if I have a baby and they are doing tummy time.....the cat is in and out most of the day, but she tolerates the children well, the only rule is if they pick her up and she gets mad and meows they must put her down right away, and the Rats are for the children, they play with those boys all the time, I usually barricade the kitchen and they all sit in there on the floor, and play with the rats. They love those things. No family has ever complained about my animals, I have taken calls before and when I say I have a dog, they have said they are not interested, and that is fine with me!
jenn 09:02 AM 08-03-2013
I have a declawed cat. He does whatever he wants, whenever he wants. He thinks he owns the house. He just lets us live here! He loves the kids. Our daughter dresses him up. When he wants to be alone, he goes upstairs. For licensing, he has to have yearly check ups and shots, his litter has to be not in a kid area, and he's not supposed to be in the kitchen during food prep.
KBCsMommy 09:27 AM 08-03-2013
What type of pets do you have?
I have a gorgeous English Mastiff 175 lbs and a little black kitty cat.

What do you do with your pets during daycare hours?
Kitty cat has the run of the house he can go wherever he wants to. He comes into the daycare room a lot and rubs on the kids but I do have a "no petting the kitty" rule. His litter box is in our back hallway away from the daycare area. Mastiff is on the other side of the gates in the house. Daycare is gated in a separate room. He can go up and down the hallways, kitchen and living room. But is not allowed in the daycare room even when there are no kids present. He sits by the backdoor when he wants outside and I let him out same when he wants in. When we go to play outside, he waits on his bed for all of the kids to go by when we are outside he can go back to doing whatever. Kids are not allowed to pet him unless a parent is present.

If so are there any rules you have that the DCK must follow ("no petting pets")? No petting the kitty. No petting the doggy. I don't ever let anyone pet the kitty because he is crazy! I let the kids pet the dog when parents are there because parents always go say hi to him. He's like our daycare mascot and kind of like living with our very own mini horse

Have you had any complaints by DCF about you having pets?
I had one complaint by a parent before I was licensed, not to me, but the dck 6 told me he wasn't allowed to play or be around our dog because he was a pit bull. My dog is not a pit bull I have AKC papers to prove it. Parents knew before enrolling the kids what the rules were about the dog and that we had a dog and what kind he was. Needless to say they didn't last long.

Have you ever had parents not want to enroll in your program because you have pets? Not that I know of. But I always tell people I have animals and they live in the house and are in the house during daycare hours.

If you have any DCK with allergies are there any cleaning strategies you have or do you just tell potential parents it would not be a good fit because of allergies?
I haven't had this issue with the kids. One of my dcm is allergic to cats and she limits her time in the house to about 10 minutes.
SilverSabre25 09:44 AM 08-03-2013
  1. What type of pets do you have? Cats. 3 or 4 (one is insane and hasn't been seen in about a week)
  2. What do you do with your pets during daycare hours? They are free to roam the house or go outside. Whatever floats their fuzzy boats.

If so are there any rules you have that the DCK must follow ("no petting pets")? no rules, but I strongly discourage petting the enormous black and white cat who tends to nip without warning.
  3. Have you had any complaints by DCF about you having pets? no, not complaints, but one interviewing family told me they don't like cats around their child and what was I going to do about that? Um...bye...find other care...
  4. Have you ever had parents not want to enroll in your program because you have pets? yes, sometimes because of allergies (very reasonable) and sometimes because they're nuts
  5. If you have any DCK with allergies are there any cleaning strategies you have or do you just tell potential parents it would not be a good fit because of allergies? not a good fit.
answered in bold

actually there are a couple rules...no chasing the cats, no picking up the cats, and if you pet the fat one and get nipped it's your problem--he's grumpy. The parents all know that these are my rules and that the fat cat nips when provoked.
Brooksie 10:02 AM 08-03-2013
[*]What type of pets do you have? We have 4 fish, one dog and a snake (yes a snake) [*]What do you do with your pets during daycare hours? The snake is in my office and his cage is required to be locked. Which is fine with me. No kids ever go up there any way.
Or do you let them normally walk around the house as normal (if cats/dogs)?The fish are part of our responsibilities for the day and the dog hangs out with all the kids. He is very chill and is most content in the midst of all the play. He just sleeps on the area rugs in between the kids. He lets them dress him up and climb on him and doesn't care if his ears or tails get pulled (which I still try to discourage for his sake lol )

If they are cages (i.e. hamsters) do you let daycare kids to hold or pet them? The snake is not allowed out during dc hours. Reptiles can carry too many diseases even though his cage is spotless and he is harmless (except to his dinner of course)
If so are there any rules you have that the DCK must follow ("no petting pets")? We try to do gentle touching with the dog but other than that he's really good with the kids and doesn't care[*]Have you had any complaints by DCF about you having pets? Every one loves my dog, even though he's big and loud and barks at all the parents, after they are here a minute they see how great and patient he is with all the kids. [*]Have you ever had parents not want to enroll in your program because you have pets? I had one mom that was nervous about my dog but it was no sweat off my back. I gave her his references and his back story and if after that, she didn't want to enroll because of him then that's not someone I would want to work with any way. [*]If you have any DCK with allergies are there any cleaning strategies you have or do you just tell potential parents it would not be a good fit because of allergies? I always ask if there are pet allergies. If there are I would discourage from them enrolling. I would consider still trying the 3 week trial period if they insisted, but I wouldn't imagine it working out. My dog is with the kids all day long and I wouldn't separate him because of one kid. It would break his heart. [/list]
Starburst 11:25 AM 08-03-2013
Originally Posted by SilverSabre25:
What type of pets do you have? Cats. 3 or 4 (one is insane and hasn't been seen in about a week)
I have one cat like that (in fact she is running around the house as I speak). But she is also the only one not fixed, so maybe that will change it a bit. That's also mainly why she is an indoor only cat.

But I notice she is not as rough with kids as she is with adults. She has never hurt my cousin's 4 year old son, who is very rough with her. In fact, she is so afraid of him now that the minute their car drives up to the house, she runs up to my room and hides under my bed and wont come out until he has been gone for at least 10 minutes.
SilverSabre25 11:30 AM 08-03-2013
I have one cat like that (in fact she is running around the house as I speak). But she is also the only one not fixed, so maybe that will change it a bit.

But I notice she is not as rough with kids as she is with adults. She has never hurt my cousin's 4 year old son, who is very rough with her. In fact, she is so afraid of him now that the minute their car drives up to the house, she runs up to my room and hides under my bed and wont come out until he has been gone for at least 10 minutes.
This insane one is like, anorexic or something. Litereally! She goes outside, doesn't come home, and then reappears a few days or a week later, thin as a rail (so clearly, not eating), mewling on the other side of the fence like she can't jump over it or has forgotten how or something, or occasionally at the back door but runs away when you try to catch her or get her inside...then she sticks around, fattens up a bit, and disappears again! She's seriously insane. And it's not genetic because various members of my family also have her mother, older half sister, and all 5 litter mates. None of THEM are insane!

for the most part i try to keep her inside, but she will get out sometimes when one particular dcm is here letting the door hang wide open while she fails to control her offspring.
Tags:just for fun, pets in daycare
Reply Up