Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>More Cat issues
daycare 03:27 PM 11-26-2013
Today at drop off I had a parents tell me that their child went to the doc on Monday and that the doc thinks their constant cough, runny nose and fever is because they are allergic to my cats.

Ok Nooooooo.

THis child has been with my DC for 2 years, cat's have been here about 7 months. Not one reaction until now that the child has this cold virus that has be ongoing for almost 2 months.

FYI- I am severely allergic to cats. For this reason, we vacuum about 4-6 times a day, don't let the cats in the daycare area if possible. We shampoo carpets every 3 weeks. I always dust wet rag daily. The cats get shampooed with hyper-allergenic product and we brush them 2-3 times a week in the garage.

Now this parent says that they have to medicate their child because of this?? I asked them if their child got an allergy test, parent says no.

I am now worried that they might term because they were told by their doctor that this is the reason for their childs COLD virus.

UGH.... Anyone have to deal with something like this? What did you do??
Luvnmykidz 03:32 PM 11-26-2013
No advice but I hope things get better. I personally think its crazy for the Dr to say that when there has been no testing done and this hasn't been going on for the span of time that you have had the cats.
daycare 03:34 PM 11-26-2013
Originally Posted by Luvnmykidz:
No advice but I hope things get better. I personally think its crazy for the Dr to say that when there has been no testing done and this hasn't been going on for the span of time that you have had the cats.
thanks for the support I am really sad about this.

I love love love this DCK and Family. I am really shocked about it.

There is no way in the world I am parting with these cats though either. My whole family just adores them and they have become part of our family. I never though I could love an animal as much as I love these two.

I love DCK too, but if DCK left my kids would not be affected by it, they would the cats.....
CedarCreek 03:36 PM 11-26-2013
If there has been no allergy testing then she doesn't know that it's a cat allergy. If she thinks it is, then maybe you should consider letting her find another provider.

Tred lightly in this situation though. It can turn bad quickly!
daycare 03:38 PM 11-26-2013
Originally Posted by CedarCreek:
If there has been no allergy testing then she doesn't know that it's a cat allergy. If she thinks it is, then maybe you should consider letting her find another provider.

Tred lightly in this situation though. It can turn bad quickly!
Was it your thread about the whole I am suing you for stupid money because my kid is allergic to your cat???
Cradle2crayons 03:44 PM 11-26-2013
I would inform mom that you need to see the results of allergy testing. Then I would educate her about animal allergies. Either she's seriously that stupid or she needs a new pediatrician. Either way, her stupidity and lack of good appropriate medical care isn't your problem.
daycare 03:56 PM 11-26-2013
Originally Posted by Cradle2crayons:
I would inform mom that you need to see the results of allergy testing. Then I would educate her about animal allergies. Either she's seriously that stupid or she needs a new pediatrician. Either way, her stupidity and lack of good appropriate medical care isn't your problem.
Thanks for the reply, I think that I am going to do just that and ask them for the allergy results....
Leigh 03:58 PM 11-26-2013
In my experiences, the family doc ALWAYS blames the pets and never orders tests. I wouldn't let it get to you too much, but I WOULD tell the parents that they should insist on allergy testing before putting the child on what could be the wrong meds. If it IS an allergy, I'd look into immunotherapy (if possible at that age). Even if they aren't willing to do allergy testing, I would think that after that long, they would consider seeing an ENT.
melonieb 04:06 PM 11-26-2013
I have a cat, he is allowed around the daycare children. All my parents are aware that I have a cat. When they come for interviews, Bonkers (the cat) comes out and greets the families. If they have a problem with him during interviews, please feel free to exit the house. lol So far i have had 0 issues with the children and Bonkers.
crazydaycarelady 04:58 PM 11-26-2013
I had a kid that had an ongoing "cold" for months. It turned out that she needed her tonsils and adnoids out and she was cured!

I also have had kid that is allergic to cats. He has not been tested either. But one time I took in 2 kittens to foster them. I kept them in a bedroom on a separate floor from the dc. Within a week he had splotchy skin and a runny nose. I think it is because the air is circulated through the whole house from the furnace.

You may lose them over this but in the meantime can you tell them you will thoroughly clean the dc room and keep the cats out of there. Maybe by the time you give this a try the dckid will be over their cold.
Mister Sir Husband 05:54 PM 11-26-2013
I have 4 cats myself.. and honestly it sounds like she just wants to blame you for her kid being sick. At this point, if she truly believes its your cats, and she's threatening to term, she's giving you two options. Let her term, or get rid of your cats. If it were me I'd apologize for it happening, but I'm not losing my cats as I consider them part of my family.
Tags:allergies - cat, pets in daycare
Reply Up