Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Calls From Other Providers
Oneluckymom 11:46 AM 10-13-2011
I've heard you guys have had calls from other providers and I'm sure I have too but I was wondering how you know you are getting a call from one. Is there something that gives them away. I'm getting calls but its hard to get someone to come interview.
Blackcat31 11:48 AM 10-13-2011
Caller ID?

Are you asking how you know a caller is really a potential client and not a provider just looking to swoop in on your business info? I guess I am not all here today and require additional instructions.
Cat Herder 11:51 AM 10-13-2011
What is your rate? What do you offer for that?
Solandia 11:52 AM 10-13-2011
"Hi, I am a sahm, in the very beginning stages, thinking about going back to work. I was wondering how much daycare would cost me for a newborn & a 3yo".
Oneluckymom 12:13 PM 10-13-2011
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
Caller ID?

Are you asking how you know a caller is really a potential client and not a provider just looking to swoop in on your business info? I guess I am not all here today and require additional instructions.
Haha....yes exactly. thought I would get some tips from you pros
Oneluckymom 12:14 PM 10-13-2011
Originally Posted by Catherder:
What is your rate? What do you offer for that?
Lol...got a call just like this thismorning!
Cat Herder 12:26 PM 10-13-2011
Originally Posted by Oneluckymom:
Lol...got a call just like this thismorning!
Sorry...

IMHO, most parent calls start with them telling you all about THEIR needs and wants.

Few start by asking what you offer.

Occasionally they will start by asking what you charge, but I typically don't interview those. A learned Red Flag.
sharlan 12:28 PM 10-13-2011
A lot of ummssss to my questions.

The last one was so obvious, I hung up on her. She sounded older, a web search said she was 70, but she needed care for her 7 yo son. Ok, could have been a grandson. I asked what hours, 6 AM to 6 PM, few people need those hours. I asked for his school, it took her several seconds to name a school on the other side of town, one that was on a main st, but not the one near where she lived. I told her that I didn't provide transportation that far away. "Oh, ok, well that's fine. What are your daily and hourly rates, anyway? What do you provide?" I kept taking the conversation away from rates, she kept taking it back.

Finally, I hung up on her. Had she been up front and honest and said that she was interested to start a daycare and wanted info, I would have provided all the info she wanted.
MamaBear 12:29 PM 10-13-2011

I get these calls almost once a week. It's bizarre to me. A lot of times I just dont answer the calls that have a private # or caller I.D. blocked #.
Blackcat31 12:32 PM 10-13-2011
Originally Posted by Oneluckymom:
Haha....yes exactly. thought I would get some tips from you pros
If you don't want to share any info with just any one, I would not give out a bunch of your info over the phone then but rather ask what their needs are and if that fits into your program, tell them you can set up an interview so that you can share your policies and program requirmements with them face to face since that is the best way to begin a financial agreement.

If they want to know all your rates and hours and etc BEFORE hand, I would just tell them each family has a separate contract and payment plan so it isn't something you can just give out over the phone but have no issue doing it during an interview.

I personally don't care if a snoopy provider calls me or a potential parent calls, I give out my info freely. I have never had an issue with it and until I do.... well, I'll cross that bridge when I get to it.
Oneluckymom 12:37 PM 10-13-2011
Exactly...I don't understand why someone cant just be honest? If you want info and are a provider just say so. Don't waste my time pretending to be a parent.
Christian Mother 06:56 PM 10-13-2011
Ok, I'll admit it...I've called other daycares...once...I was calling bc I had a sick child once where the parents where upset bc I send him home...I wanted vindication I did the right thing. I got great advise here...but I wanted to call another daycare just to see what their policies where. heheheh!!

I did however tell them exactly who I was and that I was sorry for calling if they where busy but I just needed to ask a another provider a "sick" question. How they handle certainly situations... I ashually was able to talk 15min or so and got some great advice about school system rules and state rules they adhere by....She was very pleasant to talk to. I think at first she was suspicious but as soon as I told her why I was calling she her voice totally changed.
Unregistered 07:12 PM 10-13-2011
Sorry...

Occasionally they will start by asking what you charge, but I typically don't interview those. A learned Red Flag.
As a parent, I don't see what would be wrong with asking up front what you charge. If you charge way more than I'm willing to pay, we can save ourselves both a lot of time and info by cutting to the chase. If I'm looking for a $25 a day provider and you tell me you're $35 a day, there's no need in asking any further questions, much less setting up an interview.
familyschoolcare 07:26 PM 10-13-2011
I do not get any of these calls. Because all my advertising is very detailed by the time parents call me they already know they want to set up a meeting.

In fact most of my calls go like this
me: this is Mrs. *****
parent: I saw your day advertised at ****, I was wondering if we can set up a time to meet?

Now I have only had 7 interviews and 3 of them signed on.

PS. most of the parents have said that they appreciated the detailed add because it saved them time.
Michelle 07:27 PM 10-13-2011
usually when I ask how old their child is and they have to think about it..
Everybody knows how old their kid is!
Cat Herder 05:51 AM 10-14-2011
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
As a parent, I don't see what would be wrong with asking up front what you charge. If you charge way more than I'm willing to pay, we can save ourselves both a lot of time and info by cutting to the chase. If I'm looking for a $25 a day provider and you tell me you're $35 a day, there's no need in asking any further questions, much less setting up an interview.
I understand what you are saying, I do.

This is publicly available information through the State. I do not advertise locally, I am a private home. I typically only have openings every 4 years or so.

My States website AND Parents Resource Referral Agencies list my price, hours, ages accepted, services offered, menu samples, training, inspections, background checks, etc.

I have no secrets.

So for me, if a prospective client is calling and asking "What do you charge?" they most likely have not taken the time to research or even read two bulleted paragraphs on their own.

IME of 17 years of doing this.... A client who does not take the time to research providers BEFORE calling to schedule an interview is going to be a client I have to "spoon feed" all policies and procedure to constantly.

I specialize in medically brittle children and simply don't have the time or energy for that. I do childcare, not adult care. I hope that makes sense??
Unregistered 06:45 AM 10-14-2011
I understand what you are saying, I do.

This is publicly available information through the State. I do not advertise locally, I am a private home. I typically only have openings every 4 years or so.

My States website AND Parents Resource Referral Agencies list my price, hours, ages accepted, services offered, menu samples, training, inspections, background checks, etc.

I have no secrets.

So for me, if a prospective client is calling and asking "What do you charge?" they most likely have not taken the time to research or even read two bulleted paragraphs on their own.

IME of 17 years of doing this.... A client who does not take the time to research providers BEFORE calling to schedule an interview is going to be a client I have to "spoon feed" all policies and procedure to constantly.

I specialize in medically brittle children and simply don't have the time or energy for that. I do childcare, not adult care. I hope that makes sense??
Ah...gotcha. It's not a requirement in my state for anyone to be registered with the state if it's just a smaller family home daycare, so researching online wouldn't necessarily yield me any of that info.
Cat Herder 08:32 AM 10-14-2011
Ah...gotcha. It's not a requirement in my state for anyone to be registered with the state if it's just a smaller family home daycare, so researching online wouldn't necessarily yield me any of that info.
Oh, wow. That would be hard.

Do you have access to a Childcare Resource and Referral Agency? They are great at keeping up with and recomending care options.

There are listings of providers with openings here at daycare.com, too.

I think care.com also has pretty great listings. I know I had to submit a criminal records check just place my availablity information on that site.
AnneCordelia 08:53 AM 10-14-2011
I never answer the phone. My message lists my daycare and asks anyone looking for info about it to leave a message with the start date, hours needed and ages of children, and that I would call them back with availabilities.
Unregistered 11:03 AM 10-14-2011
Oh, wow. That would be hard.

Do you have access to a Childcare Resource and Referral Agency? They are great at keeping up with and recomending care options.

There are listings of providers with openings here at daycare.com, too.

I think care.com also has pretty great listings. I know I had to submit a criminal records check just place my availablity information on that site.
There are always ads in the papers and signs on the road. I guess that's why I was a little shocked that nobody seems to want to give out the price up front when the only info you get from an ad or a sign is a phone number. The first thing I'd ask is the price so I know if I should continue asking other questions. I really wouldn't want to interview a daycare provider without knowing her prices or at least a price "range" before I got there. We could easily be wasting both of our time. Maybe it's just a rural thing.
wdmmom 11:48 AM 10-14-2011
There's a very simple solution to this.

YOU ask the questions. If they stutter or stammer, you know they don't know what to say and it's probably a scam or another provider.

Ask them for kids ages, names, if they have daycare experience (center or home), etc.

If the first thing out of their mouth is asking you your rates, tell them

"I DON'T DISCUSS MONEY OVER THE PHONE."

If they are interested, invite them over to meet with you so they can see what you have to offer. Then discuss scheduling, rates, etc.
mom2many 11:52 AM 10-14-2011
There are always ads in the papers and signs on the road. I guess that's why I was a little shocked that nobody seems to want to give out the price up front when the only info you get from an ad or a sign is a phone number. The first thing I'd ask is the price so I know if I should continue asking other questions. I really wouldn't want to interview a daycare provider without knowing her prices or at least a price "range" before I got there. We could easily be wasting both of our time. Maybe it's just a rural thing.
I have never had an issue when a prospective client calls about my daycare and asks how much I charge. My rates are on the higher end, but definitely within the norm in my area. I understand that they are basing a decision on if it will be affordable or not and why waste the time if it isn't. I believe you get what you pay for and my prices are firm.
dave4him 07:38 PM 10-14-2011
I dont have a listing that would show up on caller id But i have not had the nerve to call anyone else in town to get ideas... kind of figure if i am following the plan right things will be okay. I am on here so obviously i am already looking for tips just in a more open forum way
Tags:advertising, choosing daycare, choosing from daycare families, clients, interviews
Reply Up