Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Seriously Do Children Not Sleep!
Country Kids 07:36 AM 11-15-2011
OK, I'm totally boggled and I starting to think maybe its just the children I watch but some of them literally don't sleep. My parents are great parents, routined, hands on, and believe in discipline.

I had a two year old that was up from 6 yesterday morning till 7 last night with no nap. I was so sure they would have fallen asleep earlier than that but no.

A three year old that was up from 7 yesterday morning till 10 last night also with no nap. Parents put in bed at 8 but child laid in bed talking and singing. Has started doing this every night for the last few weeks. Same thing thought they would have fallen asleep on the way home but didn't. This child also woke up at 6 this morning going strong!

Another child yesterday was up at 6, took an hour nap and went to bed at 8:30 or so. Just turned 2.

Last week everyone napped and it was awesome, first time in a month and 1/2. So I think since these children aren't seeming to need nap, won't go to sleep for parents, I'm cutting out nap. I will let the parents know that we will have a rest time but if children haven't fallen asleep after an hour we will be getting up and continuing on with our day. The ones that do sleep, can continue with nap.

I do the dark room, soothing music, very peaceful environment so I'm not sure what else I need to do to have them sleep.
Blackcat31 07:48 AM 11-15-2011
I had to do a research paper about sleep and children for one of my child development course. I read this book: http://www.parentchildhelp.com/Sleep...5/Default.aspx

It was the most eye opening book I have ever read. It addresses all sorts of sleep/behavior issues and talks in detail about how to set the environment to nurture and support sleep.

It also shoots the theory out of the water about parent's saying "My kid doesn't need a nap anymore. He is so physically crazy or wound up at the end of a day, that he is just not tired." That is so not the case.

My advice: get the book. You will be glad you did.
Country Kids 08:03 AM 11-15-2011
The thing is all my parents want their child to take a nap while here! They just won't nap and now aren't sleeping at night it seems.

We do the outdoor play, walking before lunch, while eating curtains placed to make a quiet dark environmane, relaxing music. Same thing everyday.
cheerfuldom 08:51 AM 11-15-2011
Good sleep habits are a learned behavior. It doesn't just happen. If the kids are not getting consistent reinforcement from the beginning, it does cause problems. Just because they are not sleeping does not mean that they don't need sleep. PS I would never cut nap time, ever. Its not just about what I need, its about what the kids needs. If anyone did not fall asleep, they would still have a 2 hour rest period.
2ndFamilyDC 09:45 AM 11-15-2011
It does seem like some kids don't sleep enough, not sure what is up with that
trend, but I don't like it.

But I would never ever ever cut out naptime here, you couldn't pay me enough to give it up. The kids need it and I need that break.
countrymom 10:30 AM 11-15-2011
I wouldn't cut out nap. Sounds like the kids don't know how to turn themselves off. I think even if they don't sleep, they need rest time. I don't believe in "kids don't need a nap"
Country Kids 12:41 PM 11-15-2011
Thank you everyone for your responses! I'm only going to give them a couple more weeks to see how naps go and then if there is no change, then tweak my program for the ones that won't rest.

I am so with the kids need rest program but.....some of these kids can't turn off and I'm sooo stressed by the end of nap that its not good for anyone. Two of the ones yesterday talked the entire two hours they laid down. If they weren't talking they were singing. They are all in one room because that is how I have to have it set up. Then I have ones that aren't talking, singing, are rolling all over or getting up and down (I have to go potty even though they have already gone twice) or just plain misbehaving.

You can only tell children so long to be quiet, lay down, keep you hands to yourself, don't yell, etc.

Also, with them being up soooo early you would think they would need a nap. Then when they don't nap you would think they would fall asleep very early at night. With the one actually going to bed at 8 and staying awake talking and such in their bed tells me that something is up.

Something maybe with one but 4-5 a day doesn't make sense. Maybe I need to have my house test for non napping syndrome-
Heidi 12:53 PM 11-15-2011
ok, I hate to go there, but have you tried a reward system? You really cant MAKE them sleep, but you can require them to lay on their mat and rest for a 1/2 hour or and hour so that you can have a break, clean up lunch, etc.

How about a chart for stickers. Who ever is quiet until the bell (alarm of some sort) gets a sticker on their chart. 5 stickers (or x's or smilies) on thier chart (or note card) gets them a visit to the treasure box. McDonalds toys, dollar store stuff, etc.

if they get 4 one week, you'd have to decide if it carries over to the next week, so starts from scratch every week.

Worth a try?
Country Kids 12:58 PM 11-15-2011
Originally Posted by bbo:
ok, I hate to go there, but have you tried a reward system? You really cant MAKE them sleep, but you can require them to lay on their mat and rest for a 1/2 hour or and hour so that you can have a break, clean up lunch, etc.

How about a chart for stickers. Who ever is quiet until the bell (alarm of some sort) gets a sticker on their chart. 5 stickers (or x's or smilies) on thier chart (or note card) gets them a visit to the treasure box. McDonalds toys, dollar store stuff, etc.

if they get 4 one week, you'd have to decide if it carries over to the next week, so starts from scratch every week.

Worth a try?
Tried it-no help. Thanks for the suggestion though. One child is rewarded by dad if they are good here-mainly take a nap! This is with my knowledge and I have to report at pick up about behavior (nap). In the last 3 weeks child has only received reward 2 or 3 times.

I would so understand if these were new children but they have all been here a year!!!! This all started at the end of September so that is what doesn't make sense. Not just one child, but 2 or 3 at a time.
Heidi 01:07 PM 11-15-2011
well, if they are all in the same room, they are definately feeding off each other's energy. Now, you have a bigger battle on your hands because they all know it matters to you. sorry...

Are you not allowed to seperate them?

I had a group of 8 where 7 of them could all sleep in the same room at one time, but now I have them split up. 15mo (pnp),15 (pnp-other end of house), 21 mo (pnp ) and 3 yo (mat) in same room, and 4 yo in the "big kid only super special" room. Before my son moved out, I had the 4yo in the livingroom with me.
sahm2three 01:12 PM 11-15-2011
Originally Posted by Country Kids:
OK, I'm totally boggled and I starting to think maybe its just the children I watch but some of them literally don't sleep. My parents are great parents, routined, hands on, and believe in discipline.

I had a two year old that was up from 6 yesterday morning till 7 last night with no nap. I was so sure they would have fallen asleep earlier than that but no.

A three year old that was up from 7 yesterday morning till 10 last night also with no nap. Parents put in bed at 8 but child laid in bed talking and singing. Has started doing this every night for the last few weeks. Same thing thought they would have fallen asleep on the way home but didn't. This child also woke up at 6 this morning going strong!

Another child yesterday was up at 6, took an hour nap and went to bed at 8:30 or so. Just turned 2.

Last week everyone napped and it was awesome, first time in a month and 1/2. So I think since these children aren't seeming to need nap, won't go to sleep for parents, I'm cutting out nap. I will let the parents know that we will have a rest time but if children haven't fallen asleep after an hour we will be getting up and continuing on with our day. The ones that do sleep, can continue with nap.

I do the dark room, soothing music, very peaceful environment so I'm not sure what else I need to do to have them sleep.
It's not just your kids. I either drive myself bonkers and go from room to room and shush them, lie them back down, etc. But lately, I have decided, they go into their sleeping areas, and if they scream and cry they scream and cry. I WILL take a break. For my sanity, I have to! But today, we have the older kids that are not in pnp's acting up. So still not a lot of break.
Country Kids 01:24 PM 11-15-2011
I have to stay in the same room if they are up because otherwise I'm just running back and forth. If I'm not in there someone is up walking around, talking loudly, banging the wall, you the picture.

Today one slept only 15 min. and won't go back to sleep!!!!! This is the one I can always, always count on napping but not today of course. Then the one that never sleeps is sawing logs of course. Why, oh why can't they alllllll sleep the same day-like everyday!
Tags:won't sleep
Reply Up