Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>My Child Won't Sleep
daycare 08:18 AM 05-15-2012
I am not too sure what I can do if anything.

My own child is 4. He has never been a sleeper since birth. He stopped taking naps at age 1.5. BUT he needs them. Every day he wakes up around 5am to 6:30am. He does not nap. I deal with horrible behavior all morning most days. Some times it goes on all day. He does not nap and only gets about 5 to 8 hours asleep each night. We fight him nightly to sleep, somtimes 3-5 hours. He wakes 2-3 times a night and has done this since birth.

He is very small for his age, most of my 2 year olds are bigger than him. Other than small in size, he is on track with everything else. He is a very smart boy and is a pretty good eater most of the time.

I don't know what to do. I have not slept in years and my body got used to it, but now I am finally starting to feel the pain.

Anyone ever deal with this? What should I do? What can I do? Should I take him to the doctors?
Unregistered 08:52 AM 05-15-2012
If there is nothing medically wrong with him it's time for tough love. Set his bed time,get a good routine.Tell him goodnight and shut the door.I know some people will say it's cruel but if my child refused to stay in their bed and I had done everything possible.I woud simply put a lock on his door.Tell him goodnight and don't go back in until the morning.If there is nothing wrong with him then he's just playing you. 10-12 hours a night is what most children that age need.I wouldn't do anything less than 10,some kids need less but if he's acting up all day,he needs more than 8.
Try talking to him about the new routine and what you expect,for him to stay in his bed.Tell him you will leave the door open but if he gets out of his bed you will shut it.Say it and mean it.It's hard to reverse if you didn't set an expectation since he was little.
Hard but not impossible to fix.
I get to decide when my children are up,not them.I can't force them to sleep but they won't leave their room unless I say it's time to get up.
I have four,they go to bed between 7:30p.m.-8:00p.m. I use cry it out after 6 months.
I put you in your bed,you can cry and scream all you want and unless you're sick I'm not coming.Call me mean,I know I'm scarring my children for life,whatever.People are doing their children a huge diservice when they don't set a good bed time routine.You are actually stunting their development. I believe you are doing more harm than people claim cry it out does.My children understood after only a couple times.I mean business!
I'm like nanny 911-I've gone to people's house to sleep train their children.You just have to be more stubborn than a 2 year old,or 4 year old in your case.You get out of bed 100 times,I'l walk you back 100 times.I'll do it for a week if I have to,but you will stay in your room.It's non negotiable.I've never had to do it more than 2 nights with the families that have me help them.Good luck!
SunshineMama 09:01 AM 05-15-2012
Originally Posted by daycare:
I am not too sure what I can do if anything.

My own child is 4. He has never been a sleeper since birth. He stopped taking naps at age 1.5. BUT he needs them. Every day he wakes up around 5am to 6:30am. He does not nap. I deal with horrible behavior all morning most days. Some times it goes on all day. He does not nap and only gets about 5 to 8 hours asleep each night. We fight him nightly to sleep, somtimes 3-5 hours. He wakes 2-3 times a night and has done this since birth.

He is very small for his age, most of my 2 year olds are bigger than him. Other than small in size, he is on track with everything else. He is a very smart boy and is a pretty good eater most of the time.

I don't know what to do. I have not slept in years and my body got used to it, but now I am finally starting to feel the pain.

Anyone ever deal with this? What should I do? What can I do? Should I take him to the doctors?
Some people just need less sleep than others, but based on what you said it sounds like he does need to get some more sleep in him. Do you have him lay down at nap time or do you let him play? Sleep begets sleep. Maybe sstart with naps, and have him lay quietly and watch a movie, read a book, etc. My daughter (will be 4 in June) will play with her leap frog explorer or reading tag for 30 minutes and then drift off to sleep. We also have a pretty consistent night time routine that begins every night at 7:30. She will tell me that she wants to get up, or that she can't sleep and I tell her to close her eyes and count sheep jumping over a gate. Sometimes I will tell her to close her eyes and I will tell her a magical story- the key is to get them to close their eyes and drift off gently to sleep.

There are some nights where I have to put my foot down and tell her that she has to stay in bed when I put her down, and she may get up when Mr. Sun wakes up. She protests but generally will get to sleep.
daycare 09:14 AM 05-15-2012
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
If there is nothing medically wrong with him it's time for tough love. Set his bed time,get a good routine.Tell him goodnight and shut the door.I know some people will say it's cruel but if my child refused to stay in their bed and I had done everything possible.I woud simply put a lock on his door.Tell him goodnight and don't go back in until the morning.If there is nothing wrong with him then he's just playing you. 10-12 hours a night is what most children that age need.I wouldn't do anything less than 10,some kids need less but if he's acting up all day,he needs more than 8.
Try talking to him about the new routine and what you expect,for him to stay in his bed.Tell him you will leave the door open but if he gets out of his bed you will shut it.Say it and mean it.It's hard to reverse if you didn't set an expectation since he was little.
Hard but not impossible to fix.
I get to decide when my children are up,not them.I can't force them to sleep but they won't leave their room unless I say it's time to get up.
I have four,they go to bed between 7:30p.m.-8:00p.m. I use cry it out after 6 months.
I put you in your bed,you can cry and scream all you want and unless you're sick I'm not coming.Call me mean,I know I'm scarring my children for life,whatever.People are doing their children a huge diservice when they don't set a good bed time routine.You are actually stunting their development. I believe you are doing more harm than people claim cry it out does.My children understood after only a couple times.I mean business!
I'm like nanny 911-I've gone to people's house to sleep train their children.You just have to be more stubborn than a 2 year old,or 4 year old in your case.You get out of bed 100 times,I'l walk you back 100 times.I'll do it for a week if I have to,but you will stay in your room.It's non negotiable.I've never had to do it more than 2 nights with the families that have me help them.Good luck!
we have had a routine that has been set in stone since birth.... this is how it has always been. My husband changed his work hours so that he could be home to help me more.

I will not lock him in a room. that is not a option. I think that is cruel. JUST what i think.

I spend plenty of time with him and I wish I knew why he was not sleeping. But I don't....
daycare 09:21 AM 05-15-2012
Originally Posted by SunshineMama:
Some people just need less sleep than others, but based on what you said it sounds like he does need to get some more sleep in him. Do you have him lay down at nap time or do you let him play? Sleep begets sleep. Maybe sstart with naps, and have him lay quietly and watch a movie, read a book, etc. My daughter (will be 4 in June) will play with her leap frog explorer or reading tag for 30 minutes and then drift off to sleep. We also have a pretty consistent night time routine that begins every night at 7:30. She will tell me that she wants to get up, or that she can't sleep and I tell her to close her eyes and count sheep jumping over a gate. Sometimes I will tell her to close her eyes and I will tell her a magical story- the key is to get them to close their eyes and drift off gently to sleep.

There are some nights where I have to put my foot down and tell her that she has to stay in bed when I put her down, and she may get up when Mr. Sun wakes up. She protests but generally will get to sleep.
every day at nap time here is our routine.

at 1230 we play games- then at one he has to lay down on his bed. he looks at books for about 20 min then come out to the front room. I allow him to lay down and watch tv for another 20 min and then he plays toys until everyone wakes up.....It is 2 hours of hell for me because I have to keep him quiet and occupied so that the others can sleep.

I used to read him stories for 30 min to an hour, but I can't be in a different room than the DCK. I tried to do it in my front room, but if the DCKs hear me reading the stories they don't go to sleep....
cheerfuldom 09:25 AM 05-15-2012
we have had a routine that has been set in stone since birth.... this is how it has always been. My husband changed his work hours so that he could be home to help me more.

I will not lock him in a room. that is not a option. I think that is cruel. JUST what i think.

I spend plenty of time with him and I wish I knew why he was not sleeping. But I don't....
I don't think you have to lock him in his room. Stop trying to "make" him sleep and start requiring that he lay in his bed and stay quiet. Create the environment so that he can fall asleep. Clean out the toys, put on quiet music in a darkened room, make his room very boring. There is no reason that you have to spend up to 5 hours getting him to bed at night.

But I am not going to lie. Its going to take weeks maybe of tough love, very very VERY consistent. You will have to have a lot more energy, patience and perseverance than he ever could dream up.

I would tuck him in. Park right by the door with my back to him, read a book. Every time he gets up or gets rowdy, tuck him back into bed with "its time for bed".....no other words, no snuggles, no drinks, no nothing. Rinse and repeat 1000 times until he gets that laying down at bed time is not optional. The time will be shorter and shorter as he realizes that bed time is not optional, mom always "wins" this battle and there is no use putting up a fuss every night because mom will never ever give in.

Yes it is true that some people have medical reasons that cause sleep issues but the reality is that a lot of moms that struggle with this is because they don't really require anything else from their child and bed time becomes a battle and an activity for the child, rather than a firm rule and routine in place. I think it is important to take a hard look at your methods and see if possibly, it is you.....and not a medical issue.
christinaskids 09:27 AM 05-15-2012
You could try putting him in his bed and sitting by it until he falls asleep. Dont look at him or rub his back or he will become VERY dependent on it. Trust me, we had sleep issues with my twelve year old from starting that stuff and she just got out of it the last two years or so. If he gets out of bed, just put him back and sit there like you were and rinse and repeat. I know how difficult it is! You just have to be more stubborn than the little one which can be very difficult. You could also try melatonin. It is the natural sleep chemical in your body. A lot of my dc parents swear by it.
Kelly 09:30 AM 05-15-2012
Have you ever asked your doctor about having a sleep study done? There are many types of sleep disorders that can affect children.
SunshineMama 09:32 AM 05-15-2012
every day at nap time here is our routine.

at 1230 we play games- then at one he has to lay down on his bed. he looks at books for about 20 min then come out to the front room. I allow him to lay down and watch tv for another 20 min and then he plays toys until everyone wakes up.....It is 2 hours of hell for me because I have to keep him quiet and occupied so that the others can sleep.

I used to read him stories for 30 min to an hour, but I can't be in a different room than the DCK. I tried to do it in my front room, but if the DCKs hear me reading the stories they don't go to sleep....
Oh man No break for you at all- must be exhausting! Will he sit in his own bed for an hour or so and just lay there with a book by himself?
sharlan 09:51 AM 05-15-2012
My youngest daughter has been going through this for 6 1/2 YEARS. She is lucky to get 2 - 3 hrs of unbroken sleep a night, unless I take the kids for the night. Most days she is a incoherant walking zombie.

Stand firm, and get everyone on your side, no compromises. It's going to take awhile, you have to undo 4 years of bad routine.

#1 Your son sleeps in HIS bed and HIS bed only. Keep him out of your bed, no watching tv at night in your bed. No sleeping in his bed for you, either.

#2 Set up a reasonable bedtime and routine, no deviation whether Dad is there or not. He is old enough to follow the routine even if you are not there.

#3 At the appointed hour take him to his bed, read 1 or 2 stories, not 1 or 2 hours of stories, hug, kiss, goodnight, and walk out. Everytime he comes out, take him back, no talking no discussions. If he wakes up in the middle of the night, take him back. NO SLEEPING IN HIS BED, either.

#4 At naptime, he stays in his room, in his bed. He can lay there quietly and read a book, but he stays in his bed until you say it's time to get up.

I would never lock a child's door at night, but I would put a gate across it to remind him that he stays in his room.

Good luck.
countrymom 09:55 AM 05-15-2012
Originally Posted by cheerfuldom:
I don't think you have to lock him in his room. Stop trying to "make" him sleep and start requiring that he lay in his bed and stay quiet. Create the environment so that he can fall asleep. Clean out the toys, put on quiet music in a darkened room, make his room very boring. There is no reason that you have to spend up to 5 hours getting him to bed at night.

But I am not going to lie. Its going to take weeks maybe of tough love, very very VERY consistent. You will have to have a lot more energy, patience and perseverance than he ever could dream up.

I would tuck him in. Park right by the door with my back to him, read a book. Every time he gets up or gets rowdy, tuck him back into bed with "its time for bed".....no other words, no snuggles, no drinks, no nothing. Rinse and repeat 1000 times until he gets that laying down at bed time is not optional. The time will be shorter and shorter as he realizes that bed time is not optional, mom always "wins" this battle and there is no use putting up a fuss every night because mom will never ever give in.

Yes it is true that some people have medical reasons that cause sleep issues but the reality is that a lot of moms that struggle with this is because they don't really require anything else from their child and bed time becomes a battle and an activity for the child, rather than a firm rule and routine in place. I think it is important to take a hard look at your methods and see if possibly, it is you.....and not a medical issue.
listen, I have 4 kids, if I allowed them all to get up at gawdly hours, no one in my house would ever sleep. She is telling you something that works. lots of 4 yr olds don't need naps, but you need to teach him to sleep longer in the morning or stay in his room. No one said to lock him but if he is leaving then put a gate up. You need to be firm.
countrymom 09:59 AM 05-15-2012
also, try melatonine. Its a herbal over the counter. His sleep cycle might be off, thats why he keeps waking up. It works because ds had this issue for about 3 weeks. He kept waking up and staying awake for 2 or 3 hours. He was so tired in the morning that he could barely get up and go to school. Well it took 3 doses and voila, his sleep was back to normal. He just needed something to set him back. The ladies all gave you great advice, and they all work. Also, at 4 he should also learn to play quietly.
daycare 10:17 AM 05-15-2012
Originally Posted by cheerfuldom:

I understand what you are saying. But we have had a good bed time routine in place everyday for years. It's not that
countrymom 10:53 AM 05-15-2012
maybe you need to change your bedtime routine. The older they get their needs are different. I found that having a bath every night made them more awake then tired. Also, we made their bedtime later. Whats your bedtime routine. Also, I don't lay with my kids or read with them, I found that this made them awake even more. they do watch tv, but within 15, they are sleeping and I make sure that the shows they watch won't give them nightmares.
Crystal 12:08 PM 05-15-2012
Have you tried any form of discipline for getting out of his bed after he has been told not to get up?
daycare 12:45 PM 05-15-2012
Originally Posted by Crystal:
Have you tried any form of discipline for getting out of his bed after he has been told not to get up?
Let me tell you exactly what we do..

Dinner is at 615-630

Bath at 7-715

We get dressed and pick out 2-3 books, depending on behavior. Some nights there are no books if he has bad behavior.

7:30- lights out. I will lay and sign a song to him, I kiss him and I leave.
if he gets up I pick him up, say no words and put him back. We do not make eye contact and I lay him back down, rinse and repeat every night until he falls asleep. NO JOKE he does this every night for many hours.

We have resorted to telling him if you don't go to sleep you can't have your toys in the morning and we do follow through, but that does not work.

We don't have a tv in his room or in my room. When he wakes up, he always gets into our bed. Because we (dad and I) are so tired, we leave him. So he ends up sleeping in our bed every night after waking.

I have resorted to sleepign on the sofa for the last few months just so that I can try to get some sleep, but now he comes out to me and I have to get up and put him back in his bed or in bed with my husband so that I can try to go back to sleep. 9 out of 10 times I cant fall back to sleep.
temom 01:45 PM 05-15-2012
Originally Posted by Kelly:
Have you ever asked your doctor about having a sleep study done? There are many types of sleep disorders that can affect children.
i agree with kelly here, you seem like a mom who knows what she is doing, maybe it is something else.
HappyPennie 05:40 AM 05-16-2012
Instead of playtime at 12:30 maybe you could try something less energetic, like story time. Maybe it takes him awhile to wind down after play and that maybe has something to do with it? Im just throwing out suggestions for you. I feel for you and your situation, I hope you find something that works, it's no fun running on zero energy. Also, have you tried the lavender scented lotions and bath products? Those worked wonderfully with my son when he was little. A warm lavender bath before bed and then the lotion. Something to try anyway if you haven't already. I hope it gets better or you
DCP 10:04 AM 05-16-2012
While my daughter is not quite as bad - she does not sleep like all the others including her twin sister. Here or at my mothers she is the last to fall asleep and the first to get up. She has not napped since two years of age and is HYPER moody and whiney.

Both the twins had sleep studies done as one had extreme night terrors and both had seizures which they grew out of.
Their sleep patterns improved GREATLY after having adenoids & tonsils removed but this only lasted two years for one of the girls. She has done the getting up 100 times etc. over the years. A different excuse every time. I ignore ALL except bathroom which she knows I only tolerate that one ONCE.
At 7 years old - after the second time I tell her she will stay in her room..but will play (no toys in her room btw) with the one stuffy she is allowed or sing etc. It is CRAZY to me!!! Her father however - is NOT a good sleeper either. But ends up falling asleep sitting up on the couch - mini naps constantly. So with her I think it is just genetics - I have trouble getting TO sleep but once I am there I am fine. He has trouble staying asleep - so the poor kid was doomed LOL

I wish I had a solution for you!! Other than the ones you have tried or others suggested - i am lost!!
If he has a serious lack of sleep - i would certainly speak with his pediatrician to see what they recommend for him
sharlan 12:05 PM 05-16-2012
IMHO, 7:30 may be a bit early for an almost 5 yo. My 4 & 5 yo's both go to bed between 8:30 and 9:00.

I wish you the best of luck. I've seen the hell my dd goes through. They all play musical beds all night long.
jojosmommy 12:20 PM 05-16-2012
How about putting him in at 7:30 but allowing him to read?

Take out all toys/other items from his room. Allow a nightlight (dim for reading purposes but not enough to keep him awake) and the books he is allowed to read. Books and kids stay in bed. You may not get out, you may not talk. If you get up or talk, I take away books, light goes out and door is shut.

No negotiations. and when he gets out of bed in the night, walk him back to bed and start routine over. Don't allow him free reign after dark or he will never stay in bed and asleep.

After he gets it, do the same at nap. No, you are not taking a nap, we are resting our bodies. You may read as long as you like. I will come get you in 1 hour.

Some kids can't not "shut off" the outside world long enough to relax their body and fall asleep. Practice deep breathing with him, practice laying still in bed.
daycare 01:49 PM 05-16-2012
Originally Posted by jojosmommy:
How about putting him in at 7:30 but allowing him to read?

Take out all toys/other items from his room. Allow a nightlight (dim for reading purposes but not enough to keep him awake) and the books he is allowed to read. Books and kids stay in bed. You may not get out, you may not talk. If you get up or talk, I take away books, light goes out and door is shut.

No negotiations. and when he gets out of bed in the night, walk him back to bed and start routine over. Don't allow him free reign after dark or he will never stay in bed and asleep.

After he gets it, do the same at nap. No, you are not taking a nap, we are resting our bodies. You may read as long as you like. I will come get you in 1 hour.

Some kids can't not "shut off" the outside world long enough to relax their body and fall asleep. Practice deep breathing with him, practice laying still in bed.
I am going to try this...

He has no toys in his room they are all in the playroom.... He has books only already..

I am trying it right now with a short movie that he is allowed to watch. I told him that if he gets down off the couch one time that I will turn it off and he will have to go to his room...so far he has been really good...Usually I cannot get him to lay down for anything...

Thank you everyone for responding and giving me some great advice...I am really hoping that something turns around for all of my family memebers..
Tags:melatonin hormone, won't sleep
Reply Up