Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Babytalk?
Unregistered 09:48 PM 07-13-2015
Hello,

I just started to care for a 15 month old and also a 5 month old. Obviously there is a huge gap in the ages of these two kids. I haven't really had very many problems other than toys being thrown, saving the 5m old from being sat/stepped on etc. and the occasional toddler tantrum but I have begun to notice that the 15 month old has begun to imitate the baby when speaking. I like to coo and babble back at the 5m old and now I am finding that the 15m old will make these same noises to me...as in he will cooo, ah goo, and blow raspberries at me when wanting my attention. Is this normal? I'm worried 15m old might actually be "going backwards" in language development. 15m old only hears me and the 5m old during the day for 11hrs a day M-F. Is it developmentally appropriate to have such a huge gap in age? I mean, if they were my kids this same situation might happen. It just seems strange though.
AuntTami 02:20 AM 07-14-2015
Just start talking. Seriously. Everything you do, explain it; describe it. My ages range from 9weeks to 7 years and they all get along. My young toddlers do enjoy mimicking the sounds I make to my babies and mimicking the sounds baby makes, but they also have vocabularies because I talk all day long. I get sick of hearing myself. "I'm going to the fridge now" "I'm changing the babies diaper" "we are playing with puzzles" lots and lots of repetition.
LindseyA 04:26 AM 07-14-2015
Originally Posted by AuntTami:
Just start talking. Seriously. Everything you do, explain it; describe it. My ages range from 9weeks to 7 years and they all get along. My young toddlers do enjoy mimicking the sounds I make to my babies and mimicking the sounds baby makes, but they also have vocabularies because I talk all day long. I get sick of hearing myself. "I'm going to the fridge now" "I'm changing the babies diaper" "we are playing with puzzles" lots and lots of repetition.
talking is key. Why not throw in things that they will soon learn too? Colors, shapes, letters... Describe everything!
AuntTami 04:55 AM 07-14-2015
Originally Posted by LindseyA:
talking is key. Why not throw in things that they will soon learn too? Colors, shapes, letters... Describe everything!
We do this as well! "The ball is blue" "the gate is tall" "are you a big boy/girl or a baby?"(my toddlers love this question because they get to tell me that they're a big boy/girl! They get so excited lol)

One of my newly turned 2's knows most of his colors, his alphabet, his numbers up to 10, numerous nursery rhymes, all the animal sounds etc. and we never sat down and learned any of it. I just talk too much! Lol
Play Care 05:20 AM 07-14-2015
You got some great advice.

I'm wondering, how much positive attention is the 15 month old getting? What do you do with him when baby is napping in the AM? He may be behaving in a way that seems to get the most attention.

I always feel bad for the 13-18 month olds when a new baby is introduced. I try to give extra reassurance and cuddles because honestly, they are still "babies" too.
Unregistered 07:43 AM 07-14-2015
Thank you for the advice! I try to work with the 15m old as much as possible she likes to have books read with her but it's difficult sometimes since I'm always having to jump up to check on the baby. The 5m old was just diagnosed with allergies to the formula she was on so she was spitting up a lot and having bowel issues , she has changed formula but it's still been rough on her. I considered terminating the 5m old and finding a child closer to 15m old age but didn't feel that reflux was a good enough reason to do so. I'm going to try to stick it out. Thank you again.
AuntTami 10:59 AM 07-14-2015
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
Thank you for the advice! I try to work with the 15m old as much as possible she likes to have books read with her but it's difficult sometimes since I'm always having to jump up to check on the baby. The 5m old was just diagnosed with allergies to the formula she was on so she was spitting up a lot and having bowel issues , she has changed formula but it's still been rough on her. I considered terminating the 5m old and finding a child closer to 15m old age but didn't feel that reflux was a good enough reason to do so. I'm going to try to stick it out. Thank you again.
Read to the baby too! Put him in a bouncer or in a boppy on the floor and have the 15 month old sit next to you and baby and read to them both! :-) no getting up to check on baby and they both get benefits of you reading to them. Putting her in a semi upright position after eating should help with the reflux(hopefully) so that would be a great time to read a few books!
Tags:baby talk
Reply Up