Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Do I Have the Words "Please Take Advantage of Me" Written on My Forehead?
Indoorvoice 03:28 PM 01-09-2019
I have found out my neighbor is leaving their 9 year old daughter home alone from 7-8:15 when she walks next door to my house to get on the bus. This week the little girl has been knocking on my door around 7:45 to come wait inside until I send everyone out to the bus. Before, she would just walk out when she would see the other kids out there. Ive been letting her in. It technically doesn't mess with my ratios as long as I could prove to a licensor that I could send her home at any time. I talked to my neighbor about it today and she said she told her she could come over if she got worried. So now I'm guessing it will be an every day thing. It's really annoying she didn't ask me first, but all things aside, I guess it's not that big a deal. I make her sit in my entrance with all her stuff on. Just wondering if a licensor did come by if I would get in trouble for sending her home if her parents weren't there even though they leave her alone for more than hour every day. Thoughts? Too much liability?
rosieteddy 03:44 PM 01-09-2019
I hate to sound mean but I would not do it.Shame on the mom for letting her.If she fits in your ratio I would charge mom something for the half hour a day if you don't want to say no.What happens when there is no school?You know she will start showing up earlier and earlier.What happens if something happens after mom leaves.Will you be responsible?Does your school offer early before school care?I would tell mom legally you can not do this.Without paperwork you could be sited for non-compliance.Good luck.
LysesKids 04:40 PM 01-09-2019
I'm with RosieTeddy on this. Explain to mom that it's a Liability - blame it on state regulations (which is true, family is not registered or a paying client). You have no paperwork on this girl & it could come back to bite you if your licensor shows up. Either mom contracts for a set time (including possibility of school closings) or the girl cannot come over; PERIOD.

Mom had no right to tell the little she could come over without your permission
Ms.Kay 04:43 PM 01-09-2019
I had the same situation a few years ago..after 3rd day I approached parents and told them licensing wont allow kid here unless enrolled. I said licensing said they will call CPS. Parents changed.their mind quick
amberrose3dg 03:40 AM 01-10-2019
Originally Posted by Indoorvoice:
I have found out my neighbor is leaving their 9 year old daughter home alone from 7-8:15 when she walks next door to my house to get on the bus. This week the little girl has been knocking on my door around 7:45 to come wait inside until I send everyone out to the bus. Before, she would just walk out when she would see the other kids out there. Ive been letting her in. It technically doesn't mess with my ratios as long as I could prove to a licensor that I could send her home at any time. I talked to my neighbor about it today and she said she told her she could come over if she got worried. So now I'm guessing it will be an every day thing. It's really annoying she didn't ask me first, but all things aside, I guess it's not that big a deal. I make her sit in my entrance with all her stuff on. Just wondering if a licensor did come by if I would get in trouble for sending her home if her parents weren't there even though they leave her alone for more than hour every day. Thoughts? Too much liability?
Sounds like another person trying to get free daycare. I hate to sound mean but what if something were to happen to this girl? The mom be real quick to point the finger at you and claim you were responsible. Tell mom she can provide paperwork and pay a fee if she is gonna use your services.(which she technically is)
Cat Herder 05:24 AM 01-10-2019
Slick way to get free childcare.

You can see it, now, right?

If the kid is scared to be home alone, she is obviously too young to be. The legal age for that here is 13. What does your state say about latchkey requirements?
DaveA 05:30 AM 01-10-2019
Like the others said- neat trick to get free childcare.

Tell Mom she needs to make other arrangements. I personally would not enroll her if she asked. You've already seen how she will behave.
LittleExplorers 05:51 AM 01-10-2019
I would tell her if she feels her daughter isn't ready to be home alone she needs to find care for her. Ratios or not, it is a liability and someone taking advantage of you.
Ariana 09:14 AM 01-10-2019
9 years old is too young to be home alone and if she is scared even more of a problem. Geez this lady is ballzy!
Mom2Two 09:48 AM 01-10-2019
Yes, she took advantage of you. I would say that the answer needs to be an automatic "I'll think about it" when someone tried to invade on your home, time, person, children, relationships, or any other personal thing. Don't let someone encroach without having really thought it through well.

I'm not saying to never do anything nice, but some people are always trying to find ways to encroach on others and they have no consideration. Back people off until you make sure that it really is a good situation all around.

If I lived near you and wanted you to keep an eye on my kiddo before the bus came, I would for sure offer to enroll and pay you so that it was good for both of us.
hwichlaz 10:05 AM 01-10-2019
If you're in California, that's a bit NO. You need to be able to prove you can send home to a parent, not send home alone.

My dd's friends hang out, but their parents know that if they leave the house to go to the store or anything, they need to come get their kids.
Tags:latchkey care, parents - don't appreciate, taking advantage
Reply Up