Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>A Provider's Nightmare...
Cat Herder 02:00 PM 03-03-2011
By Robert Faturechi and Alexandra Zavis, Los Angeles Times
http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la...,1625677.story

March 3, 2011
E-mail Print Share Text Size Even for high school sweethearts, friends say, they were intense. They seemed to spend every moment together — and when they were apart, he could peer at the tattoo on his arm for a constant reminder: Avion, her name.

They were juniors when she got pregnant, friends said. When the baby came, she updated her Facebook page: "My Son Is Finally Here." He followed suit on Twitter: "G0t A S0N He My W0Rld."

Still, some classmates said they sensed trouble. "He liked her a lot. Too much," one friend said of 17-year-old Christopher Earl Glass.

Detectives and friends were still trying to piece together Wednesday how their story came to its chilling conclusion, with Glass stabbing their 5-month-old baby to death in his car as deputies pursued close behind, unable to intervene. Minutes later, authorities said, deputies chased the teen down, and when he charged them with knife in hand, they shot him dead.

Friends described Glass as quiet — a star basketball player, generous friend and devoted boyfriend, not someone they thought could be capable of such an act.

The chain of events began before noon Tuesday when Los Angeles County sheriff's deputies received a call reporting a child abduction. Investigators learned that Chris Jr. had been taken from his baby-sitter. Chris was texting Avion, threatening to hurt the baby, sheriff's officials said.

An Amber Alert went out. Four hours later, deputies came across Glass' vehicle. They turned on their lights and flipped the siren when he refused to pull over, sheriff's officials said.

From their patrol car, the deputies saw Glass' hand clenching a kitchen knife, his arm jutting up and down over the passenger's seat where the baby was, investigators said.

"What can you do there?" said homicide Lt. John Corina. "Besides having a sniper take this person out, which is totally unrealistic, there's just nothing you can do in that situation."

Glass' car crashed. Deputies found the baby inside the mangled vehicle, with multiple knife wounds.

They chased Glass down to an occupied Palmdale home he had broken into. As deputies approached, the teen came at them holding a knife, and he was fatally shot, said sheriff's homicide Lt. Nick Tippings. More knives were found in his car, authorities said.

Neither Glass nor Avion still attended Highland High in Palmdale. Avion left as her pregnancy advanced, and Glass left after a fight with a student, friends said. Still, on Wednesday, students there were in disbelief and rumors swirled.

Basketball coach Jeff Smith said Glass was the team's MVP last year, and would have been bound for all-league for a second consecutive year if he had stayed at the school.

"I had just seen him the day before and we were talking about his options for junior college and places to play basketball," Smith said. "He seemed normal to me. … He was talking about how big his son was getting."

His future looked bright, teammates said.

"He was getting looked at by Division I colleges," said Steven Mopsikoff, 16. "He was going to be something."

Glass' cousin declined comment Wednesday, and messages to Avion went unanswered.

Friends suspected something was wrong when they checked Glass' Facebook page Tuesday. Four friends interviewed by The Times said Glass had posted threats that he'd hurt himself and the baby. The messages, they said, had been taken down by the next day.
daycare 02:05 PM 03-03-2011
ugh so sad............I would never live this down if i was the babysitter, even though it was no fault to them..................

so sad I have no words
Blackcat31 02:07 PM 03-03-2011
Sad, sad sad......
daycare 02:16 PM 03-03-2011
just read another article that said the couple were in a heated argument..... what could possibly be so bad that he would need to do that to their child.... nothing could ever justify that EVER..... glad he is not alive, but then sad he wont have to suffer for what he did to that baby and mother.......
snowball 02:53 PM 03-03-2011
This is such a sad story. It makes you think, you never really know who someone is. Even if they are someone you have had a child with.

It sent chills down my spine.
dEHmom 05:00 AM 03-04-2011
OMG at first I thought it was just a story, not real.

I wonder/bet that she threatened him with never seeing the baby again.
Cat Herder 05:06 AM 03-04-2011
I don't know...I cant think of anything that would make that a logical choice...

Micheal, did I post something wrong by accident? I see it was edited.. What was it so I don't do it again???

I dragged and dropped...
Meeko 05:16 AM 03-04-2011
What a nightmare. I just can't imagine what causes a person to do something so evil when they seem to love their child.....

The provider must feel so many conflicting emotions. Affection for the baby, heartbreak for the young mother and what they call survivors guilt about the abduction. If it was me, I can see myself asking questions like "could I have done more to stop it etc.....even though there was nothing you could do. A sad, sad situation.
Tags:injury
Reply Up