Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Wow
Silly Songs 11:04 AM 07-21-2015
I'm currently in a small coffee shop, there is a child directly across from me STANDING on a 3 inch window sill with a huge plate glass window behind him. Dad has walked away numerous times. No one has asked this little guy to get down. I won't interfere. Mom is here too , also walked away a few times . Employees seem to know the family, not one of them has asked the boy to get off the window sill. It's not a low window sill. It's a wall and about 3 feet up the window sill and the window begin. Can't believe it .
Unregistered 02:12 PM 07-21-2015
I do t get it. It sounds like the child is standing on a window sill of a closed window. What's the problem? I mean, not exactly standard coffee shop expectations, but far from a 'wow' situation for me...?
Rockgirl 02:30 PM 07-21-2015
OP stated the window sill is 3 ft off the ground, and about 3 inches wide....not really the best place for a child to be standing. I am with OP on this one.
LysesKids 02:52 PM 07-21-2015
The unregistered poster seems to think it's ok for a child to be put in a dangerous situation... no offense, but it's not ok - I'm with the OP on this
Unregistered 02:59 PM 07-21-2015
I don't see it as dangerous. I wouldn't let my kids stand on a window sill in a coffee shop but it just isn't wow to me at all. Truly, 3 feet? My 2 year old jumps from 3 foot heights all the time. But I do think it's strange the parents didn't tell them to get down- for the simple fact that it's not a playground, its a coffee shop. And I'm more paranoid than most parents I am around about heights and what feels dangerous for me to see kids doing. There was a parent at my older ds's school that would let their 3 year old climb on top of their SUV, that gave me a heart attack every time!
AuntTami 03:05 PM 07-21-2015
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
I don't see it as dangerous. I wouldn't let my kids stand on a window sill in a coffee shop but it just isn't wow to me at all. Truly, 3 feet? My 2 year old jumps from 3 foot heights all the time. But I do think it's strange the parents didn't tell them to get down- for the simple fact that it's not a playground, its a coffee shop. And I'm more paranoid than most parents I am around about heights and what feels dangerous for me to see kids doing. There was a parent at my older ds's school that would let their 3 year old climb on top of their SUV, that gave me a heart attack every time!
Jumping from 3'feet and falling from 3'feet have very different effects on a child. Jumping will usually result in landing on their feet and/or preparing themselves for the landing. Falling is sudden and abrupt and there's no preparation for the landing. They also don't tend to fall and land on their feet. It's usually their face or their head.

Not to mention OP said the ledge is 3 inches wide, which means his feet are hanging off the edge. If he falls backwards; he either hits his head on the window/breaks it or he falls forwRd and lands on the floor. Neither scenario results in an unharmed child. Kids aren't known for their impeccable balance.

I'm with OP here too. Dangerous. I would interfere but that's me.
Silly Songs 04:50 PM 07-21-2015
I could imagine him fall backwards through the window .
daycare 05:00 PM 07-21-2015
wow that is really unsafe. as mentioned in another post, times have really changed. Respect for other people and their things definitely have changed too.

Not only does that sound very unsafe, it was disrespect of the parents to let their child climb on something that is not intended to be. Children acting like monkies in a restaurant is not cool. If you want to let your child run wild go to a park.................or chuckie cheese, which I hate.

Sad part is that the parents will probably let this child continue to do stuff like this until he gets hurt and then will find every reason to blame someone else.
Reply Up