Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Please Review My Physical Violence Plan of Action
LaLa1923 09:07 AM 01-07-2014
Here is my Physical Violence Plan of action, this is very similar to my biting policy. Please review and tell me what you think.

Is there another word I can use besides physical violence?

Does anyone have one they can share?

Physical Violence plan of action
Here at ______ Childcare physical violence is strictly prohibited. However, in the event a child has hurt another child a 4 strike rule is then implemented. Every occurrence is documented and signed by the parent or guardian.

Below is my 4 strike rule-
Strike 1- This is when the first event occurs. Both the offender and victim will then be monitored to limit this reoccurring.
Strike 2- This is when the second event occurs. At this point the offender will be shadowed and their areas limited when other children are present.
Strike 3-This is when the third event occurs. A parent will be called immediately to pick up their child. Care will then be suspended for 48 hours.
Strike 4-This is when the fourth event occurs. Care will be immediately terminated.

This policy is necessary to prevent any child from being harmed. It is my goal to keep every child in care safe.
Brooksie 09:37 AM 01-07-2014
DD would have been termed 30x over. lol

It looks good but maybe clarify that its a "violent action with intent to cause harm". I mean I have little kids that are learning cause and effect and will hit someone with something but its not like a "storm across the room and push someone over" or push someone out of a chair or something. Just an observation
Cat Herder 09:46 AM 01-07-2014
Sending a pm with mine, maybe there is something you can use ...
LaLa1923 09:48 AM 01-07-2014
Originally Posted by Brooksie:
DD would have been termed 30x over. lol

It looks good but maybe clarify that its a "violent action with intent to cause harm". I mean I have little kids that are learning cause and effect and will hit someone with something but its not like a "storm across the room and push someone over" or push someone out of a chair or something. Just an observation
I know, I totally agree. Developmentally things can happen. When things happen over and over , it's a problem. Things happen when they play together, I completely understand.

However, I had a child playing across the room and another child came over to him dragged him over and pulled on him. He was in a head lock when I separated them. This to me is completely unacceptable.
LaLa1923 09:51 AM 01-07-2014
Originally Posted by Cat Herder:
Sending a pm with mine, maybe there is something you can use ...
Thank you!! I would love it!
daycarediva 03:46 PM 01-07-2014
I call mine 'Behavioral Intervention Policy" I am on a different laptop right now, it has three strikes in a day, and the third is p/u, 3rd p/u could be immediate termination. It does outline 'aggressive behavior with the intent to cause harm'. I have used it ONCE and termed ONCE because of it. 4yo girl, smiling at me one second, pulling another girls ponytail so hard it pulled the chair she was sitting in over. Or laughing and clapping with a dcg, and then choking her. She scared me!

I may have to use it again soon, as I have a dcg being shadowed right now, and I am on week 3, and she is 3.5 and I am OVER IT.
LaLa1923 05:28 PM 01-07-2014
Originally Posted by daycarediva:
I call mine 'Behavioral Intervention Policy" I am on a different laptop right now, it has three strikes in a day, and the third is p/u, 3rd p/u could be immediate termination. It does outline 'aggressive behavior with the intent to cause harm'. I have used it ONCE and termed ONCE because of it. 4yo girl, smiling at me one second, pulling another girls ponytail so hard it pulled the chair she was sitting in over. Or laughing and clapping with a dcg, and then choking her. She scared me!

I may have to use it again soon, as I have a dcg being shadowed right now, and I am on week 3, and she is 3.5 and I am OVER IT.
So a child can hurt someone 9 times before care is terminated??!!!
Starburst 08:15 PM 01-07-2014
I think you should also expand it to include if the child purposefully harms anyone on daycare property {EX: you, your family, your assistants, another daycare parent, licensing/food program agent, a child not enrolled (sibling of enrolled child), pets, and/or even their own parents/siblings}. They need to learn hitting another living being is not acceptable.

Maybe also expand it to include any purposeful damage to your property (such as kicking the walls until they have dents, throwing things at the windows, or breaking things that belong to you, your family, your assistants, and/or another daycare family) in the term clause as well (if not already applied else where in the contract/policy handbook).

Maybe all of these can be covered under "____'s daycare code of conduct", "___ 's daycare conduct policy", or "student conduct policy" (technically they are your 'students').
daycarediva 03:22 AM 01-08-2014
Originally Posted by LaLa1923:
I can terminate at any time, for any reason (per contract). This is not a hurt, eg lasting physical injury. It could be an attempt to hit (as they are always shadowed if I know they are aggressive). After a child hits ONCE, they don't leave my arm length for the day. I nap them separated and everything.

Just trying to help, but certain incidents of physical aggression is normal in this age group. Eg. when arguing over possession of a toy, a child looses self control and pushes other child. Those are teachable moments, no real harm was done, etc. My policy is essentially my last ditch effort to have a family work with me, it's done with a sit down conference with all parents/guardians. We get on board together to work out a strategy, and they sign the form.. they know I can terminate, but I do try to work with them.
Angelsj 06:30 AM 01-08-2014
I It does outline 'aggressive behavior with the intent to cause harm'. I have used it ONCE and termed ONCE because of it. 4yo girl, smiling at me one second, pulling another girls ponytail so hard it pulled the chair she was sitting in over. Or laughing and clapping with a dcg, and then choking her. She scared me!
I had a boy like this. Over a short time, I watched him do a variety of very sneaky, but kind of mean things. Taking younger kids toys, for no other reason than to keep them from having them...weird stuff. One day, he watched his baby brother reach for a car, then stepped on his fingers to prevent it. The really scary part?? The baby didn't even cry, and when I told mom, she said he did that all the time.
LaLa1923 06:47 AM 01-08-2014
I can terminate at any time, for any reason (per contract). This is not a hurt, eg lasting physical injury. It could be an attempt to hit (as they are always shadowed if I know they are aggressive). After a child hits ONCE, they don't leave my arm length for the day. I nap them separated and everything.

Just trying to help, but certain incidents of physical aggression is normal in this age group. Eg. when arguing over possession of a toy, a child looses self control and pushes other child. Those are teachable moments, no real harm was done, etc. My policy is essentially my last ditch effort to have a family work with me, it's done with a sit down conference with all parents/guardians. We get on board together to work out a strategy, and they sign the form.. they know I can terminate, but I do try to work with them.
I definitely understand what you mean!! I just cannot have someone hurting others for no good reason. Especially not my son. I do what I can, but some things I can't tolerate...
Blackcat31 07:07 AM 01-08-2014
This is a perfect example of how everyone does things/reads things differently.

My first thought when I read your violence policy was "Wow, she gives 4 stikes?!?"

I have a ZERO tolerance policy for violence. Anyone that is intentionally violent towards another child gets a written behavior modification plan (essentially a probationary period) and then immediate termination if the action is repeated.

Like Daycare Diva said, there are certain actions that are considered normal and part of early childhood as kids navigate their way through learning self-expression and coping skills but all out intentional violence directed at someone else is NEVER tolerated.

I think the trouble misconception here is that obviously everyone's definition of violence is different.

I think the plan you have written out would be closer to what I would use for when someone uses their hands to solve an issue but not something I consider "intentional violence"....kwim?

I think we are all just deciphering it differently.

I hope that makes sense...
daycarediva 07:19 AM 01-08-2014
I definitely understand what you mean!! I just cannot have someone hurting others for no good reason. Especially not my son. I do what I can, but some things I can't tolerate...
ITA! If I could not absolutely prevent violence, I would term. Immediately if need be.
daycare 07:33 AM 01-08-2014
after reading all the post, I think the only thing that you should do is define violence. I think it's meaning differs for many, imagine where parents will run with it.

I have a kid right now who is on probation for behavior, one more act of violence and he's out of here.

The boy is 4, knocked down and then pinned down our youngest DCK age 20months, hands around his neck, holding him down to the ground so that he could get a toys away from him, the younger dck was screaming in pain. I was FLOORED. A child at the age of 4 intentionally took his time to seek out the youngest/helpless person here and hurt them so he could get what he wanted. To me, this is an act of violence.

Yesterday I had a 2.5 year old hit a 3 year old for stepping on her puzzle. This is not what I would consider violence and only needed direct follow up by me with the child to correct it. I did not have to involve the parents.
If it continued towards the day several times, then I would be contacting the parents, but depending on the level of harm, I would not consider it an act of violence.

hope this helps some
LaLa1923 07:35 AM 01-08-2014
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
This is a perfect example of how everyone does things/reads things differently.

My first thought when I read your violence policy was "Wow, she gives 4 stikes?!?"

I have a ZERO tolerance policy for violence. Anyone that is intentionally violent towards another child gets a written behavior modification plan (essentially a probationary period) and then immediate termination if the action is repeated.

Like Daycare Diva said, there are certain actions that are considered normal and part of early childhood as kids navigate their way through learning self-expression and coping skills but all out intentional violence directed at someone else is NEVER tolerated.

I think the trouble misconception here is that obviously everyone's definition of violence is different.

I think the plan you have written out would be closer to what I would use for when someone uses their hands to solve an issue but not something I consider "intentional violence"....kwim?

I think we are all just deciphering it differently.

I hope that makes sense...
Can you share what you have?

I'm still learning here myself, I'm trying to do what's best.
Blackcat31 07:41 AM 01-08-2014
Can you share what you have?

I'm still learning here myself, I'm trying to do what's best.
Sure can...

fwiw..... I was NOT trying to be snarky or rude so apologies if I came across that way. I was just realizing when I read your post how differently we all define violence/aggression etc.

I'll PM you the link to my handbook.
Tags:handbook policy, policies - categories
Reply Up