Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>I'm Sick.... PLEASE Have A Backup Plan People!!! It is NOT hard!! UGGHHHH
LaLa1923 06:24 AM 01-13-2014
My DS has a terrible case of strep throat and now so do I! I let my parents know yesterday at 5 pm what was going on!!

I told them we need 24 hours to be on our antibiotics and I will open on Tuesday at regular time.

I get texts from parents TODAY asking me what are they going to do? Do I know anyone who does emergency care??

This makes me feel sooooo guilty for being closed but we truly are sick!!

Blackcat31 06:42 AM 01-13-2014
I'm sorry you aren't feeling well. I hope you recovery soon.

I am also sorry your DCF's are giving you grief!

But what's that saying?

"Failure to plan on your part, does NOT constitute and emergency on my part."

I'd almost consider, copying and pasting as your standard reply to any parent that asks what they are suppose to do...
Kabob 06:48 AM 01-13-2014
What are they going to do when they get sick from sending their kids to their sick provider?

I guess it's just one of those days where parents don't see the big picture...
Annalee 06:48 AM 01-13-2014
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
I'm sorry you aren't feeling well. I hope you recovery soon.

I am also sorry your DCF's are giving you grief!

But what's that saying?

"Failure to plan on your part, does NOT constitute and emergency on my part."

I'd almost consider, copying and pasting as your standard reply to any parent that asks what they are suppose to do...
I have that saying on my parent bulletin board.
nanglgrl 07:09 AM 01-13-2014
If I had parents text/call me about their problems while they knew I was sick they'd probably have to find new daycare. I think the longer I do this job the less I put up with from these types of people.
VTMom 07:38 AM 01-13-2014
Originally Posted by nanglgrl:
If I had parents text/call me about their problems while they knew I was sick they'd probably have to find new daycare. I think the longer I do this job the less I put up with from these types of people.
Along the same lines...I don't think I'd respond. You're busy being sick and trying to recuperate so you can open tomorrow. You are closed for business today which includes business related texts.

Feel better.
Happily_wed 07:42 AM 01-13-2014
I tell any family that interviews with me that you MUST have backup care. I do not recommend anyone and I DO take days off for illness or if I have something to do with my family and it is their responsibility to have a back up plan.

If you can tell the texts are from daycare families then I just wouldn't look at them until tomorrow morning. Take care of yourself and your son and let them worry about themselves! Hope you feel better soon!
MyAngels 08:04 AM 01-13-2014
Originally Posted by LaLa1923:

I get texts from parents TODAY asking me what are they going to do? Do I know anyone who does emergency care??
"You should call the back up provider that you arranged for this situation."

At least that's what I'd say.....

Hope you guys feel better soon.
caregiver 08:59 AM 01-13-2014
Hope you feel better! I have written in my contract that when I come down sick and don't feel I can provide quality care for your child and have to take the day off, that its their responsibility to find alternate care for their child. Most of my parents don't do that as they choose to take the day off themselves, either the husband or wife will take the day off. That is their choice. As it so happens I came down sick last week with the flu and had to take 2 days off and all my parents decided to take the day off themselves, one parent said it was a good excuse for her to take the day off as she has been wanting to use a sick day from work.
But I make sure at the interview time that parents are aware that when I do take a day off for whatever reason, they have to find back up care, not up to me.
Some parents do have a way of making you feeling guilty when you day a day,but don't feel guilty. When we are sick, we need to take care of ourselves and our family.
Take Care and hope everyone feels better soon.
melilley 11:40 AM 01-13-2014
I hope you feel better!
Laurel 12:45 PM 01-13-2014
Originally Posted by VTMom:
Along the same lines...I don't think I'd respond. You're busy being sick and trying to recuperate so you can open tomorrow. You are closed for business today which includes business related texts.

Feel better.

Reply Up