Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>What Hours Does Your Assistant Work?
ihop 12:53 PM 02-07-2014
I am trying to decide what hours to schedule my assistant and it seems like 9-12 works best for me but im curious what hours or even days others use and why? I want to get the most bang for my buck

IM open 7-6 m-f
MCC 02:44 PM 02-07-2014
I have my assistant here full time, b/c I have to have her to be within ratios.

That being said, there are two times a day where I know I could not do this alone. I have 8 kids, all under 3, 5 of them are babies who still nap 2x and are bottle fed, 3 of them can't hold their bottle yet.

9-11 is AM nap, at 11 all of the babies need to be fed, and the toddlers are heading outside. I handle the babies, and she takes the kids outside.

The other time is after PM nap, at 3:30, when all the babies need to be fed again. It's just a lot of babies, so having two sets of hands is needed. I also love that she is here until pick up so she can take care of vacuuming, trash, etc, while I deal with parents.

So, I guess, what are the busiest times of your day?
sahm1225 07:47 PM 02-07-2014
I agree w pp about figuring out your busiest times of day.

For me, I would rather work by myself in the morning and deal with drop offs. I would prefer an assistant 11-4. That way she can help with lunch, nap, cleaning/sanitizing and some pick ups.
snbauser 07:49 PM 02-07-2014
Mine is here 9-12 two days a week. Those are the days that and times that allow me to get stuff done if needed or run errands if needed or if I plan something that would be easier to do with 2 of us. Then she typically does outside time with them while I make lunch and brings them in about 11:55 to wash and sit for lunch and then she leaves.
LaLa1923 07:35 AM 02-08-2014
For me, I know that the people I've interviewed want a full time position.

I'm looking at having someone here between 8-4 Monday- Thursday.

How much do you guys pay your assistant??
blandino 10:57 AM 02-08-2014
We have ours here 8-1:30, M-F. That way she is here for the bulk of the day, and leaves right after we get everyone down for a nap.

We pay ours $10.00/ hr.

We have had a myriad of bad assistants. I mean just horrible, our current assistant is WONDERFUL. She has worked for us on & off for 3 years. We love her !
ihop 12:08 PM 02-08-2014
Originally Posted by blandino:
We have ours here 8-1:30, M-F. That way she is here for the bulk of the day, and leaves right after we get everyone down for a nap.

We pay ours $10.00/ hr.

We have had a myriad of bad assistants. I mean just horrible, our current assistant is WONDERFUL. She has worked for us on & off for 3 years. We love her !
IM curious what was bad about your other assistants and what makes this one Special?
blandino 12:17 PM 02-08-2014
Originally Posted by ihop:
IM curious what was bad about your other assistants and what makes this one Special?
Off the top of my head, I can think of 4 bad assistants. The most common thing they had in common was allowing us to do the bulk of the work. Most of them saw the job as "babysitting" and would sit on the floor and play with the kids, while we would be running our tails off trying to do everything that needed to be done. One fell asleep on the couch once ! It was so bad that even after training, and giving them a list of our daily schedule and what their responsibilities were - they would still just sit there until you asked/told them "Please do X", which is awkward and exhausting. That was definitely the biggest common denominator. One had her own child, and would stand here holding him while another child cried because they had fallen (last time we EVER would consider someone with their own child). We had a somewhat decent assistant last year, who was great at the job - but her personality was hard to tolerate - she was a huge know it all, with a superiority complex.

Our other two very best assistants, next to the current one, both worked for us for 1 & 2 years. And they were great. They were firm with the kids, helped with everything, and had initiative. Our current assistant, is tough with the kids - works her tail off - and cleans and helps with anything I am doing. She has her own responsibilities, and does them well - but still refers to us on everything - instead of thinking she is in charge.
ihop 12:41 PM 02-08-2014
Off the top of my head, I can think of 4 bad assistants. The most common thing they had in common was allowing us to do the bulk of the work. Most of them saw the job as "babysitting" and would sit on the floor and play with the kids, while we would be running our tails off trying to do everything that needed to be done. One fell asleep on the couch once ! It was so bad that even after training, and giving them a list of our daily schedule and what their responsibilities were - they would still just sit there until you asked/told them "Please do X", which is awkward and exhausting. That was definitely the biggest common denominator. One had her own child, and would stand here holding him while another child cried because they had fallen (last time we EVER would consider someone with their own child). We had a somewhat decent assistant last year, who was great at the job - but her personality was hard to tolerate - she was a huge know it all, with a superiority complex.

Our other two very best assistants, next to the current one, both worked for us for 1 & 2 years. And they were great. They were firm with the kids, helped with everything, and had initiative. Our current assistant, is tough with the kids - works her tail off - and cleans and helps with anything I am doing. She has her own responsibilities, and does them well - but still refers to us on everything - instead of thinking she is in charge.
Great info thanks. My new assistant is a long time friend of mine, I had her over for training yesterday and she spent most of the time on her phone but we only had one child so it was hard to find things for her to do that she would be able to figure out. I am prepared to tell her no phone if it becomes an issue. But I am having a hard time coming up with responsibilities for her. I sort of feel like I am asking my friend to clean my house. I know if I don't delegate then she will end up just playing with the kids or sitting around. I just don't know what to ask her to do....
blandino 12:44 PM 02-08-2014
Great info thanks. My new assistant is a long time friend of mine, I had her over for training yesterday and she spent most of the time on her phone but we only had one child so it was hard to find things for her to do that she would be able to figure out. I am prepared to tell her no phone if it becomes an issue. But I am having a hard time coming up with responsibilities for her. I sort of feel like I am asking my friend to clean my house. I know if I don't delegate then she will end up just playing with the kids or sitting around. I just don't know what to ask her to do....
My biggest piece of advice, would be to ask/tell her to do things from the beginning. That way, it isn't awkward when you do need to. I made a schedule of what typically goes on during the day - and what duties there are for the adults. That way, it wasn't delegated per person - but it was more of a "this is what needs to be being worked on right now", so they have a general idea of what to do.
blandino 12:45 PM 02-08-2014
I actually don't mind our assistants being on their phone. I certainly look at my phone while the kids are playing. I would just insist, that it not interfere with supervision of the children and not happen during drop off and pick-ups.
ihop 12:54 PM 02-08-2014
I actually don't mind our assistants being on their phone. I certainly look at my phone while the kids are playing. I would just insist, that it not interfere with supervision of the children and not happen during drop off and pick-ups.
Same here. I check mine and my email during the day but.... I would not have answered a phone call while someone explained safe sleep practices to me hopefully a one time thing.
Annalee 04:01 PM 02-08-2014
Originally Posted by sahm1225:
I agree w pp about figuring out your busiest times of day.

For me, I would rather work by myself in the morning and deal with drop offs. I would prefer an assistant 11-4. That way she can help with lunch, nap, cleaning/sanitizing and some pick ups.
Mom and I have worked together since the beginning 20 plus years ago. SHE is the ONLY ONE I would work with. Like you, I still deal with all the drop offs, pick ups and the planning for each day. It REALLY works for us, BUT if she ever decides to retire, I go solo....NO WAY would I work with anyone else every hour of every day. I am wayyyy toooo particular about my program. It is difficult, if not impossible, to find that someone that is the right fit for child care. On the other hand, I am mentoring a protégé whom has opened 2 FCC programs. She is having an awful time getting workers just to show up....I suggested she have her contract/policy revamped where parents pay 52 weeks a year, then she would not have to send workers home each day if ratio is down(everyone wants a steady job); also she could place x amount of vacation/holidays where if parents were paying 52 weeks, then she could offer incentives with full-time employment which might lead to a respected/responsible/accountable worker. Just some ideas!
JLH 02:16 PM 02-10-2014
My hubby works as my assistant and he works the same hours as me, Mon-Fri 7am-5:30pm. My hubby does all the daycare cooking, cleaning, shopping, and school bus drop off/pick-ups. I do the deep cleaning, paperwork, customer relations, advertising, and preschool curriculum. If I did hire an assistant, I would want it to be someone to come in and sit and play with the kids. I think it would look good to the parents and it would be good for the kids. That's just my opinion of what would work for us.
Reply Up