Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>made a decision
Maggie 03:39 AM 02-12-2015
I've decided that I'm done with SA care. I just don't have the patience for them anymore. I've been thinking about making this change for a couple of years but kept changing my mind to give it one more year but this time I'm doing it. The SA kids I have now are 6,8 &9 and all have been with me since newborns. I know this sounds mean but I really just don't like them anymore. They cause more chaos in the short time they are here then my little ones do all day. So my question is when should I tell them? Two of the families need early hours, 6 and 6:15 and may have a hard time finding that, but I have a feeling once I tell them things may get awkward and they may intentionally break rules because they have nothing to lose. I was thinking telling them in April, what do you think.
NeedaVaca 04:16 AM 02-12-2015
Do you want to stop right away? If so I wouldn't wait until April to give them 2 week notice. If you wait until April there are only 2 months of school left. If it's for the next school year I would just wait until it's closer to school being out.
Unregistered 04:20 AM 02-12-2015
Originally Posted by NeedaVaca:
Do you want to stop right away? If so I wouldn't wait until April to give them 2 week notice. If you wait until April there are only 2 months of school left. If it's for the next school year I would just wait until it's closer to school being out.
Yes. I always think in terms of school semesters, too. You could immediately inform everyone that you are no longer providing SA care, after the last day of school, and you might lose some early, anyway.
Maggie 04:33 AM 02-12-2015
Sorry forgot to say Im going to make the last day of school the last day of care.
NeedaVaca 04:53 AM 02-12-2015
Then if you are worried about rule breaking I would wait until the beginning of May to tell them, it still gives them about a months notice.
Blackcat31 05:14 AM 02-12-2015
Originally Posted by NeedaVaca:
Then if you are worried about rule breaking I would wait until the beginning of May to tell them, it still gives them about a months notice.
I agree with this but you had said one of the families needs early hour care so I would think rather than break rules, they would be more apt to follow them as they won't be able to find care that easily if not many other providers offer early hours...especially for SA'ers so if you are really feeling that a month's notice is not long enough, I would definitely consider letting them know earlier.

I'm sure someone will be unhappy no matter when you tell them so sometimes I think once you make a tough decision like that, it's best to just notify families and be done with it.
Sunchimes 05:15 AM 02-12-2015
I recently made this decision too. When I found myself grinding my teeth over the thought of spring break, it made the decision easy. I told them a couple of weeks ago, because I heard that Boys and Girls Club was already taking applications. It's the only viable option around here, and I didn't want them to lose the chance to get in.
momofsix 05:54 AM 02-12-2015
You won't regret it! I kept mine through last summer and told the parents in January of last year that I would no longer do school aged kids. So my parents had 9 months. Some still waited til the last minute-I think they thought that I loved their kids too much to actually let them go and would change my mind lol! (I do love them, and they have come to visit-but the choice to let them all go was THE BEST EVER!)
Maggie 06:25 AM 02-12-2015
I'm definitely not going to regret this decision. I already feel a sense of relief just knowing 4 more months! I did for a minute think about keeping them for the summer but the two that would be here are my worse two and do not get along so no. Most likely the 3 year old sibling will go with the 6 year old and if that's the case I will have the summer off because the rest of my kids have at least one teacher parent.
DaisyMamma 07:52 AM 02-12-2015
If you tell them now they may leave earlier, which to me would be a plus. If they start breaking rules you can term, also a plus
sharlan 08:52 AM 02-12-2015
I will not take any SA other than my 3 grandkids. They know I mean business and they don't bother giving me any trouble.

That's the best decision I ever made.
melilley 10:14 AM 02-12-2015
I refuse to take SA children. I have a 12 year old dd and when she is here, she is enough for me...lol I do let one of my dcg's sis who is 8, come every once in a while because she likes to help, but that's not too often. My program is geared for 4 and under so they'll get bored here.

If you really want to wait to tell them in four months, that's up to you, but I think 2 weeks to a month notice is enough, if you want to stop doing SA care before the 4 months is up. That's a long time to be miserable to me.
Reply Up