Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Potty Training
kitkat 03:02 PM 09-10-2015
DCB is one week shy of 3. He was potty trained last month at home (school year only dcb). We're having some issues here, but the biggest issue is that he won't point his pen*s down when he's going, which then gets potty everywhere! I literally have to take his hand and make him do it, but by that time, it's too late and there's already a mess on the floor and my hand. I did have him sit on the toilet backwards and that worked to eliminate the mess...all he had to do was sit there and not push down. However, he takes FOREVER to get himself dressed again. Mom said he does the same thing at home, but I don't think they are telling him to push it down.

Do I just keep sitting him backwards and deal with the way slow re-dressing or should I insist he sit forward? If I keep him backward, how long before I make him sit forward?

If I make him sit forward, how in the world do I get this kid to get it in the toilet? I will not throw Cheerios in the toilet to aim at, so please no suggestions like that. I would be ok with stamps/stickers, but that's the most I will do for a reward.
daycare 03:07 PM 09-10-2015
Originally Posted by kitkat:
DCB is one week shy of 3. He was potty trained last month at home (school year only dcb). We're having some issues here, but the biggest issue is that he won't point his pen*s down when he's going, which then gets potty everywhere! I literally have to take his hand and make him do it, but by that time, it's too late and there's already a mess on the floor and my hand. I did have him sit on the toilet backwards and that worked to eliminate the mess...all he had to do was sit there and not push down. However, he takes FOREVER to get himself dressed again. Mom said he does the same thing at home, but I don't think they are telling him to push it down.

Do I just keep sitting him backwards and deal with the way slow re-dressing or should I insist he sit forward? If I keep him backward, how long before I make him sit forward?

If I make him sit forward, how in the world do I get this kid to get it in the toilet? I will not throw Cheerios in the toilet to aim at, so please no suggestions like that. I would be ok with stamps/stickers, but that's the most I will do for a reward.
I would continue to sit him backwards and let him dress himself. help him if he asks for it.

it sounds like he does not have the skill set you are expecting from him just yet. I require all of the boys here to sit so that I don't have to scrub my wall and floor every day.
kitkat 05:18 PM 09-10-2015
Daycare: I thought of you earlier this week! DCB said he had to go potty when dcm was picking him up, even though he went 10 minutes earlier. I put my foot down because I remembered your bathroom/potty post. I probably would have let her take him if I hadn't read that post (dcb holds it, too and just wants dcm to take him). Your post was very helpful and eye opening!

I always make him sit, he totally misses if he's sitting forward. His self-help skills have always been a struggle. Some of it is lack of coordination and some of it is lack of motivation and stubbornness. It can be hard to tell if it's just that he doesn't want to do something or actually can't. I think you are right, he doesn't have that skill set yet, which in turn makes him not want to do it (just like any other skill that I've had to teach him). Sometimes you can't see something when you're right in the middle of it. Thanks for your help!
nothingwithoutjoy 09:20 PM 09-10-2015
Does he have the option of using a potty rather than the toilet? I use the tiny Bjorn potties (mine is one piece, but similar to this) and the small size and high front help them to keep it pointed down.
kitkat 05:22 AM 09-11-2015
Originally Posted by nothingwithoutjoy:
Does he have the option of using a potty rather than the toilet? I use the tiny Bjorn potties (mine is one piece, but similar to this) and the small size and high front help them to keep it pointed down.
He uses the Bjorn at home and dcm says he pees right over the top of it. I have an oval shaped toilet. If he sits backwards and just goes, the potty will make in it the bowl. If I did the same thing with a circle shaped toilet, he'd miss. I'll stick to backwards for now and try to switch him around later.
Reply Up